The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Ayahuasca Information

Scientific Name- Banisteriopsis caapi, Diplopterys cabrerana, Psychotria viridis, etc.

Common Name- ”Ayahuasca“, Yage“, “Chaliponga“, “Chacruna“, etc.

History & Origin-

“Ayahuasca” is a Quechua word meaning “Vine of the Souls”, it comes from the Amazon River Basin and is used as a purgative and hallucinogen. It is theorized that “Ayahuasca” has been used for around 10,000 year (since 8000BC)

Germination-

B. caapi seeds require jungle like condition to sprout, as do most “Ayahuasca” botanicals.

Cultivation-

Psychotria and Banisteriopsis caapi are both very easy to grow outside the tropics as long as they are kept from freezing temperatures in the winter. Psychotria viridis makes a great house plant.

Propagation-

B. caapi is best propagated by taking cuttings of new shoots and rooting them in water.

Psychotria is know to easily root from leaf cuttings.

Diplopterys seems to be incredibly hard to propagate and reproduce.

Harvest-

All the botanical ingredients needed to brew Ayahuasca should be picked from the plants just before being put into the pot. The fresher the ingredients the better, old or dried botanicals are inferior. Use only botanicals and pure, clean water to make Ayahuasca.

Preparation & Storage-

Boil the Caapi a long time.

Add the DMT containing plants in the last 30m or so…

My Ayahuasca Recipe (Per Person)-

Banisteriopsis caapi ~ Vine & Leaf : 33-77g (500g fresh)

Psychotria viridis ~ Leaf : 13-33g (100g fresh)

Diplopterys cabrerana ~ Leaf : 7-13g (50g fresh)

Passiflora incarnata ~ Leaf, Vine, Fruit, etc. : 13-33g (50g fresh)

Uncaria tomentosa ~ Bark, Leaf, etc. : 7-13g (50g fresh)

Tynanthus panurensis ~ Vine : 13-33g (100g fresh)

Brugmansia species Leaf & Flower : Less than 1-3g (7g fresh)

Brunfelsia species ~ Leaf & Flower : Less than 1-3g (7g fresh)

***Notes***-All ingredients should be harvested just before brewing and used when as fresh as possible. Smash, crush, grind and macerate all the botanicals JUST before brewing! All weights are given in both dried and fresh grams of plant material.

Use mint, ginger, coca leaf, tobacco and cannabis ONLY AFTER the purge is completely over for relief of nausea and increase of effects.

Drink the Ayahuasca with pure spring water or herbal teas (which are safe to use with Ayahuasca).

Use Ilex guayusa, “Guayusa Tea” as a chaser or a mouthwash to remove the flavor of the Ayahuasca. Drink “Guayusa Tea” with the Ayahuasca and BEFORE the purge as it causes nausea and purging itself.

Active Constitutes-

Harmaline- Most potent MAOI and most sedating. Least psychedelic.

Harmine- Less potent, but less mentally stoning and sedating.

Tetrahydroharmine- Least potent, but most "magical". Most psychedelic and “clear-headed” of the Harmala compounds.

N,N-DMT- True psychedelic compound.

Many, many other compounds.

Safety & Precautions-

Must follow strict diet, these are items YOU MAY NOT INGEST-

Within 33 days of and 33 days after-

ALL medications, vitamins and/or other drugs

Protein bars or extracts

Migraine medicines

MAOIs, SSRIs and any other anti-depressants

O.T.C. cold medicines, Decongestants, Asprin, Allergy, Asthma etc.

Ephedrine, Pseudoephedrine, Amphetamines, Caffeine or other stimulents.

Yohimbe, St.John's Wort, Rhodiola and other herbal medications

Sedatives- Sleeping Pills, Tranquilizers, etc.

Diet pills, Appetite suppressants, etc.

Narcotics- Cocaine, Heroin, Methamphetamine, etc.

Allergy or Asthma Medication

All types of Opiates- Opium, Valium, Oxycotton, Hydrocodone

Any other type MAO inhibitor

Within 7 days of and 7 days after-

Same as above+

All drugs and alcohol (Including Alcohol, Tobacco, Caffeine, EVERYTHING)

All herbal medicines, psychoactives, etc.

Any tyrosine-containing food

Chamomile, St. John’s Wort and all other herbal teas and medicines.

Aged Cheese and other fermented edibles and drinks

All types of Beans, Soy beans and all soy related products (including soy sauce!!!) This also includes bean products- like veggie burgers, bean dip, etc. No beans of any kind!!

Broad (Fava) bean pods

Soy Sauce, Miso soup and related products.

Pickled edibles- Pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, pickles.

Non-alcoholic brewed (Fermented) beverages (non-alcoholic beer), etc.

Kombucha; All other fermented brewed drinks.

Protein bars or extracts

High amounts of sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa nibs, other stimulants,=2 0etc.

Make sure all food are fresh; spoiled or old food is the main cause of negative reactions.

Within 3 days of and 3 after-

Same as above+

Began Fasting

All drugs and alcohol, including sugar and strong spices and other things not normally thought of as “drugs”

Kombucha, Beer and/or other fermented beverages

Chocolate and/or sugar in all forms

Dill, Parsley, Fennel and other herbs and spices

All Beans (including soy!!!) This also includes bean products- like soy sauce, bean dip, etc. No beans!!

Avocados

Cultured dairy products (buttermilk, yogurt, cheeses and sour cream)

All Caffeine products (Coffee, Black or Oolong Tea, Energy Drinks, Ect.)

Soy Sauce and other soy products

High Protein Meals, Beef soup, steaks, etc.

Sausage, Bologna, Pepperoni, Liver and Salami (Pork)

Sauerkraut, Mayo’, Sourcream, etc.

Yeast and other mirco-organisms (unless baked)

Salts, Sugars, Oils and Fats

Make sure all food are fresh; spoiled or old food is the main cause of negative reactions.

Within 36 hours of and 36 hours after-

Same as above+

Perform Detox, cleanse the body.

Meditate, empty the mind and relax.

No meat or ingestion of any sort of living creature.

Absolute no candy, sugar, fats, oils, salt and/or spices.

No sex or masturbation.

Take a long bath or shower; Paint yourself Blue.

Drink nothing but water.

Contemplate the experience.

33-3 hours before-

Same as above + No food (except, if you wish, one light meal of fresh fruit or rice may be eaten during this period)

2-1 hours before-

Same as above + Increase fluid intake, to promote purging and the evacuation of toxins from the body. Drink lots of clean, cool water.

5-15m before-

Prepare a snack of fresh fruit and wild or white rice with butter/oil.

Pre-roll a small joint or pack a small bowl/cone.

Prepare the area, make sure everything is ready.

Release all bodily waste and fluids. Take a huge dump. Pee………

Make a comfortable place and set out a vomit-bucket. Your probably going to hurl, but that is ok!

Shake/stir Ayahuasca before use.

Some good things to eat during the strictest periods of dieting are-

Plain white rice, wild rice, etc.

Freshly caught fish (Never frozen or out-dated)

Fresh Raw Fruits and Vegetables

Ingestion-

Drink the Ayahuasca as quickly as possible on a completely empty stomach (except water or Ilex guayusa or other botanical tea).

The Experience-

Drink Aya’ quickly along with a small glass of water, if desired.

Attempt to keep Aya’ down at least 1-2 hours, or as long as you can.

Ingest mint and/or ginger (Anti-nausea) if desired, but only after the purge.

Smoke cannabis, if desired.

Consume the MAOI safe food, if desired.

Run around naked and make strange noises.

Be sure to drink a glass of water or juice to re-hydrate yourself after 1-2 hours into the experience and just after the purge.

Notes-

~~~Definition of "Ayahuasca/Yage"~~~

1: The Plant = Banisteriopsis caapi plant

2: The Brew =

"Ayahuasca/Yage" ONLY contains botanicals, herbs and plants which are native to the Amazon River Basin.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" must contain Banisteriopsis caapi or other Banisteriopsis species.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" often contains Psychotria viridis.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" often contains Diplopterys cabrerana.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" may or may not contain other botanicals, herbs, plants or other traditional additives from the Amazon River Basin.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" may or may not contain Brugmansia species, Brunfelsia species or other plants from the Amazon which may be dangerous, toxic or poisonous.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" may or may not be used in conjunction with other Amazonian psychoactive plants which are ingested outside of the brew. Ex.- Smoking Nicotiana rustica, chewing Erythroxylum coca, etc.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" does NOT contain Peganum harmala or Mimosa species, nor does it contain other plants which are not native to the Amazon River Basin.

• Like 3

Teo, this is great. In all my numerous books and encyclopedias about ethnobotanicals and psychoactive plants, nowhere is there such a simple, clear and precise aya guide.

Thanks!

M.

• Like 2

2: The Brew =

"Ayahuasca/Yage" ONLY contains botanicals, herbs and plants which are native to the Amazon River Basin.

"Ayahuasca/Yage" may or may not contain Brugmansia species, Brunfelsia species or other plants from the Amazon which may be dangerous, toxic or poisonous.

contradiction right there... as far as i know bragmansia spp are not native to the Amazon basin..

& er.. who owns the rights to the use of the words 'ayahuasca & yage'? i don't get it...

new shoots are no good to prop with IME. u need the hardwood and semi hard wood cuts. soft tip cuts will result in rot of the cut.

apint urself blue??

btw thats a MASSIVE dose IMO.

i would also metion that people with a psychotic condition should imbibe under an EXPERIENCED eye.

so much can and does go wrong with the psychadelic experience with people with a psychotic condition

this advice is not restricted to aya, but all psychadelic substances.

contradiction right there... as far as i know bragmansia spp are not native to the Amazon basin..

& er.. who owns the rights to the use of the words 'ayahuasca & yage'? i don't get it...

Brugmansia are common in the upper Amazon in the same areas that Banisteriopsis caapi is found.

Teo, some good info. But your style makes me cringe. You really don't need to say things like

How about you just let people come to their own conclusions about what "Ayahuasca/Yage" (a side note - if you are going to list two names, may as well list all 200 or so) is or isn't?

also, 'botanicals'?

Edited by occidentalis
  • Like 1

To me this reads like a dangerous mix of science, belief, and personal preference. What would be the specific problem with eating a protein bar a month before, or using heroin a month after ingestion, for example. Apart, of course, for the fact that the latter is illegal, as would be ingesting the concoction above in Australia. What are your sources for this information? Why do you not credit them?

Edited by racketemensch
  • Like 1

"Botanicals" is that not a word?

• Like 1

Sorry, it is a word... kinda. It's just that it seems like a word invented by people marketing a health product. And I don't really know what a botanical is. I've always just assumed a plant or plant material, but considering you also say 'herbs and plants', unless a botanical is something else then it just comes across as you using that word because you like it.

Brugmansia are common in the upper Amazon in the same areas that Banisteriopsis caapi is found.

ok cool, my bad, wasn't sure but i thought it was only native to the Andes (though i spose the real upper amazon is the andes). do you mean they are common in the upper amazon, the same as they are common in suburban australia? or do you mean they are native to the upper amazon?

Edited by paradox

yas r being a bit hard on the young trout.

only advise i can give u teotz is not to use fresh tip cuttings. i could be wrong, they have always rotted away for me. i only use semi hard or hardwood cuts. on revising ur aya recipe, i was looking at the wet weights and assuming they where dry weights, when u had staed dry and wet weights specifically. thats MY bad.

have u tried that recipe personally? would love to here a report on how it went.

can i ask what side effects eating a steak would have 3 days before or 3 days after taking aya?

i have done this in the past and had no ill effect.

thanks for the info though teotz :)

would love to hear how that brew would go!

I have read that one can consume meat within 24hours prior to ingestion.. as long as it is fresh meat..would this mean non-fermented meats? or straight of the cow kinda thing? there seems to be a bit of conflicting info around.

thank you for the post.

confucious say "Alrays take twippers words with gwain of sralt"

• Like 1

Use mint, ginger, coca leaf, tobacco and cannabis ONLY AFTER the purge is completely over for relief of nausea and increase of effects.

Within 33 days of and 33 days after-

Yohimbe, St.John's Wort, Rhodiola and other herbal medications

how does this work? you are encouraging the consumption of herbal products during the experience yet you say its bad to take herbs within a 60 day period around the aya. Shamans give all sorts of herbal medicines to people during their aya periods

I think people may seem a bit rough because of how flawed this post is. There are so many bullshit things in this post that continue to spread misinformation

• Like 1

instead of barking at teotz, perhaps you could ask him politely if he could explain the various points that are confliting or that you dont agree with, to you/us???

yeah good point, getting annoyed doesnt do much good

There was quite a few questions already asked that have seemingly been ignored.

• Like 1

There was quite a few questions already asked that have seemingly been ignored.

Yeah, this had been my beef with your lists as well, Teotz.

There's some really good info in there, and you've obviously gone to a lot of work to bring it into the one place but it's not perfect. No problem, none of us are.

But... it seems that you don't want to hear that. There's some great constructive feedback in this post and and your previous posts about baneful botanicals and this and that. And I get the feeling that you'll go away and come back in a few weeks with yet another list having not taken on any of the feedback that people offer you. Without answering any of the questions people have for you.

I can't understand you, so I'm always hesitant to criticize, but then the whole thing irks me enough to speak up.

Now, I really dig a lot of what you contribute to this forum. Every time I see a post started by you I'll read it and most of the time enjoy it. Until I understand what it is you're actually trying to do though, your lists will just be lists to me. They don't seem to have any contextual significance and seem to have little purpose other than to show that you're able to collate data.

Please enlighten us as to your master plan. I've asked before and, as per the quote at the top of this post, it's gone unanswered.

• Like 1

What is my goal in making lists? Just to compile info in one place really.

Ahhh the el supremo of list making has endowed us with yet another a beautiful chronological page of wisdom.

Personally I like your lists and simply take from them what I need, there's really no need to have a go or nit pick certain inaccuracies weather they be right or wrong.

I don't know about all this it must be hardwood and aged woody vine to activate the light properly, one only need try making a brew with the leaf to notice that it will act as Houston's launch pad for take off to THAT PLACE.... Having not quite got the ratio's right yet maybe somewhat frustrating, but once the measurements are found then the rest will be history...being so vigorous and throwing so much leaf every year is a plus then no one ever has to hack away their trunks or twisting hardwood sections.

1& 1/2 part caapi leaf

1 part viridis leaf

1/2 part carthagenis

1/4 part delosperma

Are we ready for lift off yet...?

1/4 part delosperma

What is delosperma, Chiral?

I also think people are being a little tough on my hot Asian girlfriend. :lol:

But yeah, following up on some questions and explaining things more thoroughly would be good.

Delosperma are in the family Aizoaceae. Some have been detected to contain DMT and/or 5-Meo-DMT, and some have been compared with Sceletium. See This thread and especially the PDF of Trouts Notes contained in it.

Personally I would rather see accurate information on contraindications/interactions than "pick n choose" type info, or at least a more personal tone that suggests a post is opinion rather than well-researched fact. I think the myth-making can be detrimental when masquerading as science - though I do think both have a place, the line between what is safe in a physiological sense and what has benefited individuals or groups ritualistically should be clear.

Edited by racketemensch
  • Like 1

What is my goal in making lists? Just to compile info in one place really.

Thanks Teotz, that's a worthy goal.

To make it really worthwhile, it's important that your information is either factual or clearly noted as subjective. Anything other than that diminishes the usefulness of your info significantly.

There area lot of very informed and experienced people on this forum and by taking their feedback on board you will be able to build a really useful reference tool. Good luck. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Teotz, that's a worthy goal.

Thanks!

There area lot of very informed and experienced people on this forum and by taking their feedback on board you will be able to build a really useful reference tool.

Start giving me specifics... like "change this to this" and I'll start editing!

list are cool, specialy for obsessive compulsive people, because the radiate "order".

i could never work out why i sometimes as a kid, i loved reading the train timetables of all austrian trains....

the best methode of probagating caapi for me are, semi hardwood heeled cuttings.

aya is only aya if it come from the amazon, the same way emmental chees, only comes from the swiss emmental. but as we all know it doesn't work that way, at all.

if the southamericans want to protect there product a bit more, and i think they should, they could call it genuine ayahuasca.

otherwise it's the same as one brewery would claim to have been the first to brew beer and as such is the only institution, to have the right to this name.

• Like 1

aya is only aya if it come from the amazon, the same way emmental chees, only comes from the swiss emmental. but as we all know it doesn't work that way, at all.

if the southamericans want to protect there product a bit more, and i think they should, they could call it genuine ayahuasca.

otherwise it's the same as one brewery would claim to have been the first to brew beer and as such is the only institution, to have the right to this name.

I agree, good post.

I agree with planthelper regarding what is 'ayahuasca' or not - except I would have been less diplomatic about it.