The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Germinating Entada rheedii

Well i started with 100 seeds....the closest i got was one batch swelled and inside seemed to be germinating but couldnt break the seed coat and rotted....damn they have HARD coats!!!

anyone have any pointers for germinating this species? i only have 10 seeds left.

Well i started with 100 seeds....the closest i got was one batch swelled and inside seemed to be germinating but couldnt break the seed coat and rotted....damn they have HARD coats!!!

anyone have any pointers for germinating this species? i only have 10 seeds left.

Irie,

I've only ever had one seed that I scraped through the outer shell with a dremmel, then soaked for 24-36hr.

Got it to sprout but lost it due to rot cos it was well wet at the time.

90 seeds busted already? Better get something from the last 10!

Good luck,

Respect,

Z

I only cut into 2 seeds and both germinated. One of them got whipper snipped, but the other is still doing fine.

Put seed in vice with eye downwards. Then cut into the coat at the top, straight across, using a hack saw. Cut about 4mm as this will get though the coat and leave a decent hole without injuring the seed. Germinate in tropical conditions. Like all seabeans this species likes to germinate in sand.

thanks guys, preciate it!

giving the last batch a go. fingers crossed.

right now its rainy season here, so 30+ and damn near swimming in the humidity. should be ok for seedlings i presume, if T says tropical.

Torsten...one quick Q. we have a few Entada species growing in Taiwan, but from internet pictures the seeds of different species do look somewhat different. though i am not sure. sometimes when getting translations from chinese common names to english then to latin it is not so smooth. i bought these from a wholesaler selling them for massage purposes, so i am not entirely confident on their names. and knowing there are a few species here they can be collecting...i have some doubt...but they seem like rheedii from pics.

entada.jpg

thanks guys.

k

yep, they look pretty close. although, mine are a little more squarish.

Does anyone know where to get these in Australia? I've found some overseas sites but I'm sure there will be trouble getting them in. Might have to go for a drive up north :D

• Like 1

they are very big...i thought they were dodgey chocmint biscuits at first glance!lol

t s t .

used in massage places locally here. feel great as a muscle rubbing tool :) but not cheap :( i cant for the life of me find trees here though, despite there being thousands of shops selling locally harvested trees....

On 9/15/2010 at 9:28 PM, IceCube said:

Does anyone know where to get these in Australia? I've found some overseas sites but I'm sure there will be trouble getting them in. Might have to go for a drive up north :D

Hi Ice Cube,

Entada rheedii  can be found at fair dinkum seeds.  I just ordered one and received it in the mail.  I haven't germinated it yet.  I will let you know how I go!

I was in Cooktown, Far North QLD the other day and saw that the local Guugu Yimithirr women use the Entada rheedii seed hulls as rattles in their dancing.  They call them Barra Barra seeds. 

20180701_151138.jpg

20180701_151138.thumb.jpg.b9be7d10e8cf3561246cb11f2dc43565.jpg

20180701_151138.thumb.jpg.b9be7d10e8cf3561246cb11f2dc43565.jpg

Edited by twiggy

Just to clarify-  on some websites it does say that Entada phasceoloides is what grows around Cooktown.  I know Entada rheedi travels the world and assumed these seeds I found to be the same-  the seeds look exactly the same!

And then just to confuse things further.  Fair Dinkum seeds where I got my recent seed from calls the one I ordered:  Entada  rheedii  phasceoloides   !!!

https://fairdinkumseeds.com/products-page/ethnobotanical-or-medicinal-plants/african-dream-bean-entada-rheedi-phaseoloides-seed/

I have ordered Entada rheedii before from a website that called it just by the name Entada rheedi-  and it germinated easily-  but then I moved and Im not sure what happened to  the vine.