The Corroboree
hebrew

calling perth crew

hey looks like i may be offered a position in perth, and most likely moving over in 10 or 11 weeks, at first i will stay with family, but when my family ends up going over, then we will be needing to rent, please list some suburbs you think might meet this criteria

1. needs to be affordable hahaha i know perth fuckin expensive but up to 400 per week, which is pushing it really considering my mortgage is less than that

2. would like to be close to beach, or river, and parks for children to play at

3. has good schools in the area, that support the arts

4. near train cause i need to work in the city.

5. safe place for family to live

dont want to live out woop woop, like up joondalup way.

has been 12 years since i lived in perth so i guess a great deal has changed

these suburbs we were thinking

vic park

mt lawley

trigg

freo

rossmoyne

bull creek

nth freo

sth freo

just a few ideas there

but it all depends on lots of factors but mostly money.

how do you fullas rent in perth, share houses i guess, which is not possible for me would need 3 bedrooms as well

if any of you westies can offer some pros and cons for various places would be interesting to hear your perspective

cheers

sweet thanks, will go and drive around there this weekend when i fly over for a look see

Willagee somewhere near Fremantle

yeah checked out willagee, looks ok, i will head out that way on the weekend no doubt, i know there is a really good school primary and secondary in rossmoyne, and i think part of willagee is in the catchment zone for that school, there is also a good school in east freo, so i gotta think of my children and where they will go to school or if we homeschool them or what. but its hard to know when you are on the other side of the country

i just wish this job was better paying, as i am actually taking a slight decrease in pay, but the opportunities that could come from this job are great, in terms of a career, but fuck i still dont know what i want to be when i grow up :scratchhead:

i also get to travel all over the state with this job, so there are many pluses to it, but the unknown is huge as well and that is kinda scary for me.

plus i am going to miss my trees and plants if i move. i love my trees and cacti. i guess they will have to come :devil:

but not in there current size

yeah bro, you will definitely want to live in the Freo area because you are a man of style and culture. And also because you will then be able to visit me and Luke ;).

there are a few OK spots in the rest of perth but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

If you want to be close to shops/restaurants/nightlife then Mt Lawley and vic Park are also ok. Mt Lawley is pretty expensive though. Natural environment access is very limited in these areas.

$400 will be just squeezing in the outer suburbs of freo - you will be very unlikely to get in to central (including south or north!) freo if you want a proper family home at that amount. East freo is a mix, part of it is a bit cheaper but most is super expensive luxury housing.

You will be more likely to find something in the suburbs surrounding like Hamilton Hill, Hilton (although check your neighbours out first), Willagee as Luke says... you might get lucky and get something in White Gum Valley or Beaconsfield. Depending on how far away from the beach you want to be you might consider further out like Coolbellup, Kardinya... these places have pretty good PT links to the city now that the Mandurah trainline is going.

Let me know when you are closer to coming, I will have a look at some of the noticeboards around town and see if there are any ads up.

Edited by occidentalis

sweet thanks bro

those suburbs have been on our list, i just remember spearwood from 12 years ago hamilton hill too, and my memory was not one that would entice me back there, but lots happen in 12 years, i think my mrs would really like to live in freo or there about even south freo beaconsfeild, that was on her list, so yeah, think is with perth your never really that far from the beach ay.

i dont mind if the place is a unit or townhouse or villa, as long as i can keep my pets and have rooms for my kids, i am happy. but its all so hard to know what to do from this side of the country.

anyway we will see what happens over the next week, weather i decide to go with the job or stay where i am now

i will keep you up to date with whats going on, whats the weather like over there at the moment?

i personally think mt lawley from your list, it still has rather low rental cost in comparison to its 3km radius from city, inglewood and maylands also are in that area and its poss to get a 1 or two bed for $200-$230, i lived in maylands for a few years in the bad part, upper end peninsula rd and found it a piece of cake.....sooooo close to everything but sounds like mt lawley might be better for your style.

vic park is horrible full of crime, trigg would be pretty cool but not so good for quicker public transport although the area goes hand in hand with your typical dickwad surfer brigade (i surf myself i just cant stand the steriotype surfer), rossmoyne is a bit upper class and snobby, freo i find just to be a bit to outdated isolated and dirty and bullcreek really is an area with not alot of anything.....

the weather has been brilliant lately, 2 degree mornings 20 degree days for about 2 months in a row, it didnt rain all summer except for that huge hail damage storm and basically hasnt rained all winter which resulted in a almost record dry avon descent and looking pretty grim in regards to water levels come this summer.

Edited by santiago

I dunno how you'd feel about a long train ride every morning, but mandurah is also feasable these days, esp with the new train line all the way to mandurah and also the new freeway. I'd personally stay well the fuck away from anywhere city like if poss. Along the perth to bunbury freeway there are so many new suburbs springing up and one can only imagine the rent be cheaper, also block size larger and alot of bushland nearby. Infact a chudditch was recently caught in one of the protected bushland areas inbetween perth and mandurah. Of all my mates who live in the metro area, northbeach has always proved best houses, properties for my mate. The old houses, not the million dollar mansions. Last place my mate had was only 180 a week, surrounded by yuppy mansions and only three streets back from beach. Around burswood looks nice too, wouldn't have a clue on rent though. Just offering u my perspective from a non metro westralien.

thanks guys, when i lived in perth i lived mt lawley, inglewood are and leederville as well, but like i said 12 years things change, i will see on the weekend i guess, i understand what you are saying naja about down that way, but my wife wants to be close to things, but i will drive around and see on the weekend anyway, at least some places cant go everywhere. but its worth a look that way as we have discussed it, but i will be given some places to look at by the mrs. i knwo WA i grew up there, she has only ever visited.

thanks fullas for your input i appreciate it, i better call that yowie character and see what that beast is up to

ohh and i know what you mean about the surfy type bogan dudes, i am actually looking forward to surfing perth and WA coast again, has been years and i really miss that indian ocean ay, found a house that was pretty good rent 2 blocks from trigg beach, which we got excited about, but thats for rent now i am going to be looking at renting later this year after christmas time, just going to work my arse off until then, if i get this job, which looks promising, they paying for me to go over there and everything put me up in a hotel etc.

LMAO, that sounds like the house my mate was in :P Wasn't on Floyd st was it?

yeah true it was LOL

I know Scarborough/Doubleview have some real cheap places and is real close to the beach. I've actually been looking to move there myself.

cool thanks man will go and check out the places around on saturday