The Corroboree
Yeti101

African Pscychoactive Plants

Thanks t s t! How did I know that you would be the first horse out ot the gate on this one :wink:

I'm going to grab some capeweed tomorrow if I can find some growing in an area where it hasn't been sprayed with anything nasty. Maybe grow some from seed to eliminate the possibility of residue. Also have found a massive cape honyesuckle that I can collect cuttings/material from.

Have not had a chance to go through this yet - "Ethnobotanical Study of Hyacinthaceae and Non-hyacinthaceous Geophytes in Selected Districts of Malawi" Elizabeth Mwafongo,Inger Nordal,Zacharia Magombo & Brita Stedje, Ethnobotany Research & Applications http://www.erajournal.org/ojs/index.php/era/article/viewFile/153/264

Eucomis sp are apparently associated with COX-1 and COX-2 inhibition...

Nice link bro! Thanks for sharing!

Basse'

Bliss!

+NNM+

boophone disticha, what a beauty!

post-70-128105233366_thumb.jpg

It sure is, sadly it's not really useful as a recreational drug, unless you're into deleriums. I've been looking to buy B. disticha as well as various other (mainly bulbous) African plants that reportedly have medicinal or psychoactive properties. Not only because of their uses, but for ornamental purposes as well. Was researching the list of possibilities a week ago or so when I stumbled upon this thread amongst other things, hence me resurrecting it from the dead. Here's the paper Yeti posted (in post #22); the link has dissolved into thin air, plus another article from Sobiecki.

Btw, if anyone can dig up the following, that'd be great: "ACS Symposium #1021: African Natural Plant Products: New Discoveries and Challenges in Chemistry and Quality by Chi-tang Ho".

264.pdf

sobiecki.pdf

264.pdf

sobiecki.pdf

264.pdf

sobiecki.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for that - I've been meaning to get back onto this project for a while.

I'll see if I can track down a copy of that ACS syposium thing http://pubs.acs.org/isbn/9780841269873 - it looks well worth the trouble.

Edited by Yeti101

Am just working through sobieki.pdf (see above). Kind of wish I could afford that Commiphora africana that I've seen for sale around.

I have a young B. disticha. Unfortunately for me I don't think it's easy to propagate them. I did some research on Amaryllidaceae (sp?) and found that they can be split, but the success rate is quite low. So not worth trying I guess.

They're also not self-fertile, so it's going to be lonely for him for a while. :)

• Like 1

Some of my african babies:

Dioscorea dregeana- proliferation after the winter:

(the tuber is a strong sedative)

2uz6q00.jpg

Dioscorea dregeana- tuber:

51ssvk.jpg

Boophane disticha:

(the leaves are antidepressive, an SSRI, and the bulb is a brain-tonic and AChE- Inhibitor, but higher doses could be toxic)

l8idz.jpg

Kalanchoe pinnata:

(the leaves are sedative because of Histamine-Receptor- inhibitors)

vd37h3.jpg

Securidaca longepedunculata:

(the root is used throughout africa for medicine and inebriation. It is often used with Boophane disticha and for fetish. It contains Ergoline- alkaloids! It has established analgetic, antidepressive, opioid, sedative, muscle-relaxing, stimulating, aphrodising, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action.)

1zb55ax.jpg

Securidaca longepedunculata- violet pigment on stem (55-fold enlarged):

15i3oe0.jpg

Voacanga africana:

(all parts of the plant are psychoactive, the seeds are used for divination)

dd135k.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome! I'm suitably envious of your collection and keen to follow up on some of the information you have provided.

Welcome to the forum mindperformer.

Great pics and great to see you here.

Mindperformer might be new to the forums, but I've known him for 8 or 9 years and even then he had a great collection !!

hey Torsten!

thanks 4 Ur kindness :-)

Does anyone here have any experience growing Boophone haemanthoides? growing season, light, medium, etc...

Was just re-reading Trout’s Notes on Some Other Succulents (2004) - I'd used it as a reference for specific plants - Delosperma etc. - but had not got as far as reading the end-notes :BANGHEAD2: . Note 9 lists and discusses a number of plants I'd previously missed.