The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Rhodiola yunnanensis & Aptenia cordifolia

Since my environment proved too hostile for R. rosea I've been looking at other species. R. yunnanensis is reported to handle heat much better (45°C here :lol: ) But I cant find hardly anything on effectiveness. Sacred Succulents claims its used similarly to R. rosea, a chinese report makes it sound like its more tuned to helping with respiratory disease, and beyond those two theres virtually nothing on this plant :BANGHEAD2: I'd mainly be looking at cognitive enhancing ability, but also anti-fatigue... and of course if it helps the throat/lungs I'd also use it for that.

Anyone tried/know it?

I'm also looking at Aptenia cordifolia, its reported as a minor but potentially usable mesembrine alkaloid source which is cool but doesnt really tickle me, its also reported as an effective topical anti-inflammatory. Anyone ever tried it for the latter? A Sceletium-looking plant I could mash and rub on rashes and bug bites may be handy.. if it works :wink:

Since my environment proved too hostile for R. rosea I've been looking at other species. R. yunnanensis is reported to handle heat much better (45°C here :lol: ) But I cant find hardly anything on effectiveness. Sacred Succulents claims its used similarly to R. rosea, a chinese report makes it sound like its more tuned to helping with respiratory disease, and beyond those two theres virtually nothing on this plant :BANGHEAD2: I'd mainly be looking at cognitive enhancing ability, but also anti-fatigue... and of course if it helps the throat/lungs I'd also use it for that.

Anyone tried/know it?

I'm also looking at Aptenia cordifolia, its reported as a minor but potentially usable mesembrine alkaloid source which is cool but doesnt really tickle me, its also reported as an effective topical anti-inflammatory. Anyone ever tried it for the latter? A Sceletium-looking plant I could mash and rub on rashes and bug bites may be handy.. if it works :wink:

A. cordifolia is easier to grow and less fickle than Sceletium tort. in my experience. I have a vague recollection of the powdered foliage being somewhat like Sceletium powder, though I never took serious notes and measurements. The Aptenia cord. also produces prettier flowers than Sceletium tort., a very nice and rather forgiving houseplant.

Haven't had experience growing the Rhodiolas, but really appreciate the effects of R. rosea extract.

In that case I think I will try growing Aptenia cordifolia. If it works against rashes and bug bites maybe a trend could start lol

Interesting, as well as surprising, update. I made a mental note that since Sceletium tortuosum is in the same family as Aptenia cordifolia as well as being chemically similar that it might share A. cordifolias topical anti-inflammatory activity. Well today I had to reclaim a vehicle from a hoard of paper wasps, one stung me and I immediately went over and got some fresh S. tortuosum and rubbed the juice on and let dry, I did that 3 times. It was just starting to swell up when I did that and the swelling vanished and never returned. My mom got stung 3 times and she immediately rubbed the juice on each sting once and her swelling was very minor.

Its worth a shot if you get stung near a kanna plant.

I'm germinating A. cordifolia now, maybe next year I'll be stung twice and I can compare them :P

A. cordifolia is everywhere. Its almost a weed. Fast growing and tuffer n old boots to. Called baby sunrose commonly I think. Healthiest specimens I have seen are always in a shaded to part shaded spot.

Read something on the forum about a bio along the lines of scelly, seem to remember activity was similar to scelly but short acting... :scratchhead:

That could have been the method of prep though.

i think a previous discussion ended saying that sceletium was a much, much better source of mesem alks, than aptenia.

i move the sceletium plants a bit around rgarding to the season, in summer they get a semi shaded location or just a few hours of direct light, and in winter they recieve as much sun as possible.

i think i remeber tantra did some work with aptenia.

aptenia does self seed, and requires less horticultural efforts, than scelly though.

aptenia produced a similar though slightly milder product to sceletium.

one person who tried it requested all i had for him and his mates.

t s t .

I've used aptenia in kanna preps (no more than 25% from memory) - mixed with the usual sceletium. Results we OK, but not as good as plain sceletium. Personally I'd rather use Delosperma sp as a kanna admixture.

I am however going to test the anti-inflammatory properties of both next time the appropriate injury.