The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Sending seed to USA

Hey, been looking to send some seed species to a mate in SF as a gift.

Had a quick look at the USDA website on seed importation and got all overwhelmed. Did a search here and got too many hits- prolly too broad a search term

The seeds are OK to receive, think I got that OK. But what are the chances of them making it if I just whack them clearly labeled and clean in a bubblewrap envelope?

Anyone experienced in either sending seed to US or receiving them there? Or should I bother with the gazillion yards of red tape for a simple gift?

cheers

DL

I'm never really sure with alot of that sorta stuff, even when you talk to the relevant authority in whatever situation, they usually have little to no clue either, most times you end up teaching them something :wink:

I've sent a number of seed envelopes to the US over the years, all times just cleaned and clearly labeled on the bag, then i usually add a written list outside of the bubble wrap 'cause I wrap them up like cigars depending on seed and amounts. afaik all my seeds have arrived safe and sound. I usually just make sure the receiver is aware of what's coming (usually are since they request it haha) and ask them if they know of it's import condition at their end, besides using our one to see if okay to export etc.

Edited by gerbil

I've received seeds from oz lots of times, they made it here every time.. and when sent bubble wrapped they tended to make it here intact even if they were cacti seed.

Theres volumes of regulations on seed transport but guess what, in most cases theres an exception for a 'seed packet', personal use size wad of seed :) So sending, say, 40 seeds per species of something legal should have no problem (so labeling it 'gift' should be fine). That and we dont have our mail searched anywhere Near as much as you guys, we mostly rely on dogs and sniffer machines to find bombs and drugs and thats about it.

Edited by Auxin

bubble wrap certainly protects seeds very well on long journeys, but that thin white, soft material computers and other gadges come wrapped in is quite as good protecting, but allowes for much thinner letters, which are cheaper to send and have more stealth affect. the idea to use this material, i picked up from stonehenge.

Never had any issues sending seed OS either. Like mentioned though, make sure the seeds are protected, i have recieved many a seed packet with its contents crushed beyond recognition from Au and abroad.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone :)

There is one caveat that I would add regarding USDA restrictions. While 99 out of 100 times it isn't an issue, I have had Acacia seeds stopped by the USDA due to a ban on their import from Australia & Oceana. This is not a customs issue, but an agricultural one, so it is not as vigorously enforced.

If these are rare Acacia seeds, I would do as Auxin mentions and declare the contents as a gift. Instead of listing the species of seed in the declaration, just put the word 'seeds' on it.

sent a box about 400gm of dried herbs to the usa ,took about a week.normal post,about $15.

t s t .