The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smogs

Cactus Thief

I just had someone use a ladder (i presume) to climb up to my 1st storey balcony and steal my 3.5foot scop i grew from 15cm... I am not happy, you cant see it from the road so it must have been an inside job and nothing else was touched! also why would u take 1 cacti!

This really sucks and i wish there was a special police devision dedicated to tracking down cacti thieves

}

mmmm i know its not related but the same thing excactly just happened with my beloved python!!

...same deal..nothing else touched, straight to the tank.. :(

i feel for you smogs. karma works in mysterious ways. ive never stolen from anyone in my life but many times people have stolen from me.

Bastards.

I recently commented that I thought jaw-traps unethical in regards to wild dogs. They should be legal for this type of vermin.

Lucky he didn't fall off the ladder or you'd have a law suit on your hands as well.

As it turns out, I've just taken some bridg cuts and can send you one of similar size if you'd like.

Not the same as a home-grown, but still.

As long as you keep it off that balcony

ed

smogs that just sucks

big time ...its got to be kids experimenting , surely nobody with any longtime experience could do something like that.

but to come up to a first floor ...thats like fully break and enter stuff ..very brave .

shit heads , instant karma .

I had a one hundred+ year old Ariocarpus fissuratus stolen from off my deck a few years back by someone who obviously mistook it for something else.

I feel sorry for that person if he ingested it.

A. fissuratus is purportedly (this is not 100%confirmed) the engine behind the 100 mile marathons the Tarahumara Indians run up and down Copper Canyon, ascending and descending thousands of feet in elevation while kicking a small ball and running one hundred miles non-stop.

The women's marathon is ony 50 miles in duration and they are allowed to pick up the ball and throw it...

A.fissuratus sounds like a great rave drug.....

no, no, no, I didn't say that.... :rolleyes:

yeah gettign a snake stolen would b even worse... im pretty attached to mine and she is a very pretty carpet python... never seen 1 this good b4

all they left was the empty pot! they could have at least just chopped it off and left me a stump to grow pops from

i almost took all my plants inside to keep under lock and key!

but yes definately kids... it just creeps me out how well planned it was... and that its someone that knew it was there (cant see it from ground)

100yr old plant would b much worse!

at our holiday house anytime we put in nice looking plants they get knicked... like kangaroo paws! its rediculus

and theres some &^*& there who ties her horse up to grze on our backyard (not a paddock!) and it kills plants and kicked a hole in garage!

anyways ill keep you updated im doing some detective work! and if i find culprit im going to demand a replacement! i have seen scops that size at a shop in sydney for around 70-100 bucks!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Since it had a monetary value to it

you may wish to call the police to make a report

based upon the theft of a vlauable item such as this

not to mention the value to a collector such as yourself

that way ... it's on file.

secondly,

I would hire a local kid for information (one of the heads)

kids can't keep a seceret as a rule and will talk about their "score"

or brag about their experiences to friends...

how many cacti eaters are around there anyway...?

they'll be talking...

if it's a inside job, then the kids will be a local to you

you should be able to find them.

All the local heads always know each other -in every country.

and either get your plant back or double the cash value.

use the police report as a threat and bring them into it if required.

it's likely, that these bozo's have done this to others

and that their charges may be for more than just one plant theft.

Not to mention it' being something to the effect of a planned "break in" for starters

hope you can locate it and recover

otherwise... be careful who you allow into your personal space.

bests!

[ 30. January 2005, 13:10: Message edited by: Flip ]

My commiserations smogs. It truly sucks. :(

The lengths some people will go to! :rolleyes:

It is not a nice feeling knowing your place was cased and then violated, possibly by someone you know. One of the main reasons I gave up growing pot long ago.

Unfortunately with greater awareness in the general community, these things are going to happen more and more.

Man that sucks :mad: ...but you're a clever bloke Smogs I'm sure you'll find the culprit otherwise something good should come to you for your loss.It's akin to losing a family member and that's what hurts.

It's strange how things happen though,I had a peyote a few years back but she died and recently my partner and I split up through misunderstandings so I've been pretty depressed.Then today right out of the blue she came to see me to talk things over and presented me with a nice little button :)

my condolences smogs

hope it turns out

re the horse

continue on the WA native plantings and

just plant some Gastrolobium, plenty of species to choose from.

Gastrolobium bilobum and G parviflorum are top contenders

"Air-dried leaves of Gastrolobium bilobum (heart-leaf poison) and G. parviflorum

(box poison), for example, can contain up to 2600 mg/g of monofluoroacetate ... "

(which is 1080 poison - theres more of it in a kilo of gastrlobium leaves than in a kilo of baits)

http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/flo...&level=g&id=809

http://www.kwongan.asn.au/kwongan/teachers...ngan_facts.html

Your neighbour will have one big bloated smelly horse disposal problem in no time

goes for any situation really where you have wandering livestock with repaet offender owners

as for deterring plant thieves its a bit harder.

[ 30. January 2005, 21:27: Message edited by: reville ]

haha thats a good 1 rev ill def remember that

i think my dad just went to a few of the key local players... like the dude that runs the general store... and the bowl-o president and just said "ahh yeah some idiot is doing this blah blah"

and it stopped soon after

some good comes out of small town gossip!

my dad originally came from a smallish town and if he ever did anything his mum would know b4 he even got home

heh heh

maybe this guy from sydney is your thief:

thief

amanito:

maybe this guy from sydney is your thief:

thief

hehe - If I believed in coincidences, I would say you just found one. Of course, I don't believe in coincidences...

think he struck again, he got a pretty big lecture about it last time. this is a nasty thing to have happen smogs, hope u get them. maybe u should grow some stinging nestles or stinging trees along the edge to stop them getting up.

reville:

Your neighbour will have one big bloated smelly horse disposal problem in no time

goes for any situation really where you have wandering livestock with repaet offender owners

Do you think it's fair to take an owner problem out on an animal, or on the owner?

Plant thefts at botanical gardens are something we learned to live with...Thefts are usually limited to cacti and succulets, or for a bit of a variety, to cycads.

We have regular break -ins. some professional(at night, well planned etc), some more amateurish, but both kinds are equally painfull, depressing and hard to rationalise.

My only advice is: keep any info on what you've got to yourself and your closest friends. Also, try (if possible)to keep your most precious plants where they cannot be seen.

I used to keep my peyotes on the balcony(1st floor), but they could not be seen from downstairs.

Any serious plant/succulent/cycad collector will have at least one story to tell about how their collections were raided and pillaged on at least one occasion. Sadly, it's a painfull aspect of this hobby/profession.

Cheer up, pick up the pieces, start again and try to learn from the experience.

cheers,

Vanda

yeah that sucks... i stole something from botanical gardens b4 but im sure they would have recovered!

i libertaed a few chillis from a species that i didnt have

im sure they wouldnt have minded

heh heh

So would you have been less pissed if they had just taken a cutting and left the rootstock?

yes

heaps less pissed off

i wouldnt even be bothered if it was stolen from ground level!

the thing that gets me is how it was planned and organised!

i can understand a bunch of drunken kids taking a cactus from a front garden... and all would be forgivin

ive done stupid stuff like that

but casing it out... using a ladder... waiting till i went out... thats what i dont like about it. On the plus side tho it has prompted me to get a rpoject ive ahd rolling around in my head for a while... a remote control tank that shoots something like mini marshmellows. Going to dub it "The Cactus Protector!"

smogs:

a remote control tank that shoots something like mini marshmellows. Going to dub it "The Cactus Protector!"

LMAO, make sure you heat those babies up first, nothing worse than hot marshmellow smacking you in the face.

Sorry to hear of your loss, couldn't imagine how shattered i'd be if someone nicked my cacti, don't even like the thought of strangers seeing my garden even though everything is all above level, violation of privacy eek. More like sacred violation, i find my garden quite spiritual, at least in my mind.

did u have any other up there that they would have seen whilst snatching ur scop????

smogs at least you can be happy in the fact that if they do decide to consume it, theres a good chance the plant will extract its own revenge on their minds.

The guy who said "there is no hell greater than a guilty conscience" obviously didn't know about mescaline.

Quote by smogs : "a remote control tank that shoots something like mini marshmellows. Going to dub it "The Cactus Protector!"

He he...maybe you could grease the balcony rail and rig a motion sensor to turn on a pump that mists them with chilli juice!

Oh and plant some extra 'yet untested' cacti just to test their endurance

But I agree the invasion on privacy has gotta be the worst part.

F*rkin *rsehole.