The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Amazonian

urban myth...

Yep, I am a bit passionate about my beliefs aren't i... I do tend to get carried away with them after a few beers at night :/

I suppose what I was trying to say in my posts above is that I doubt very strongly that any of the common psilocybe mushrooms that are used recreationally in Australia contain strychnine. I said in one of my above posts that I have never heard of a mushroom containing strychnine - by this I meant factually, I have certainly heard the stories that they do... here is another one that used to do the rounds, 'the blue staining on them is from snail pellets'.... or 'the blue on them is the strychnine from snail pellets' etc etc

I think all I wanted to say really was that I don't believe this urban myth and I base my belief that it is an urban myth on the lack of poisonings of all those thousands and thousands of people who eat them each year.

I also base my belief on the lack of literature to support the claim. I haven't actually read what is available because I'm too lazy.

:blush:

• Like 1

Hey meanies, what i was getting at with you being passionate with your beliefs was to give you a comparison of how this 'veteran' was getting into the debate,You feel strongly, he felt the same . Hell, ain't nothin wrong in having your own belief rather than follow society like sheep. However , this 'veteran' would not even listen to the other side of the story.

I appreciate the inputs that have been made . If anyone hears anything interesting on this topic in the future , please think of me,would love to hear it. CHEERSsmile.gif

strychnine or not, I want to get to the bottom of that report from the shroomery about these guys having to go to hospital from eating a lot of subs. What could have caused this? I have friends who report feeling really heavy on subs, sore legs and feeling like they can't breathe well. What could it be? It's scary to think there is a lot we don't know about these woodlovers...

I have friends who report feeling really heavy on subs

I get that everytime with subs. I don't find it at all uncomfortable, quite the opposite.

strychnine or not, I want to get to the bottom of that report from the shroomery about these guys having to go to hospital from eating a lot of subs.

I was hoping someone might know the person that wrote that post over at the Shroomery. I too would love to see the toxicology report. was it a scare tactic ?hmm, who knows.

Hadn't heard of the sub hospital thing, tantra's information he keeps posting would be of wealth and could possibly be a starting point imo :)

Biochemical machines hey, keep you on your toes, life is so variable and nothing set in stone.

, tantra's information he keeps posting would be of wealth and could possibly be a starting point imo smile.gif

I have been reading articles from 'tantras link. The stuff about PEA in P.semilanceata is very interesting. Little snippet follows=

Phenylethylamine (PEA) recently found in Psilocybe

semilanceata has been associated with psychosis and

implicated in the etiology of mental disease (Wolf and

Mosnaim, 1983, O'Reilly and Davis 1994). PEA has been

reported to exert amphetamine-like activity and to have

peripheral sympathomimetic effects

maybe folks have eaten liberty caps with MAOI

i thought it would require a huge amount of PEA to be orally active in normal circumstances

I just had a thought.... could any of these poisonings be attributed to some sort of pesticide spraying by council workers?

I don't know what it was, but I found a patch of various mushrooms including subs this year but there was a green hue to everything around the area, woodchips looked slightly green, every mushroom looked slightly green almost as if coated in a very subtly tinted green paint. I drew the conclusion that some sort of spraying had been done. I'm not sure who or what had been sprayed but it was enough for me to leave everything in the ground where I found it.

Does anyone know of woodchip beds being sprayed? If indeed the spray was a poison of kinds, how much of that poison would be be transferred in to the body of someone who eats from said woodchip bed? :(

Does anyone know of woodchip beds being sprayed? If indeed the spray was a poison of kinds, how much of that poison would be be transferred in to the body of someone who eats from said woodchip bed? sad.gif

I am sure that there is over spray of weedkiller when weeds are sprayed at the parks . If there was a mushroom along side, it would be exposed too ?! I suppose that is why it is best to go bush whenever possible. Not that we would eat any of these anyway.

Does anyone know of woodchip beds being sprayed? If indeed the spray was a poison of kinds, how much of that poison would be be transferred in to the body of someone who eats from said woodchip bed? :(

Surely they couldn't do something like that as some people would eat them without knowing they were sprayed? Plus kids play in woodchips/woodchip beds and put things in their mouths. I have heard these stories before though and would love to know the correct answer.

the green tinge was quite likely dye from a herbicide application. generally dyes aren't used and the reason is that it's quite unnecessary. while commonly used herbicides are synthetic chemicals with dangerous effects at the right dosage.... you probably have nothing to fear in that regard.

i would be more concerned about other pollutants, like heavy metals, insecticide, or some kind of industrial stuff.

i would be more concerned about other pollutants, like heavy metals, insecticide, or some kind of industrial stuff.

I thought we worked out that Psilocybe mushrooms don't collect heavy metals? Not having a go at you at all ThunderIdeal just worried as I have been telling people that lately.

I thought we worked out that Psilocybe mushrooms don't collect heavy metals?

Yes , i remember that discussion as there was talk of subs on the roadside possibly being polluted by car fumes. ?!

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24100&st=125

Edited by Amazonian

thanks

fact remains i'd be concerned about things OTHER THAN herbicide. the food you buy at the supermarket is more of a concern, herbicide-wise, but that probably won't stop you buying your vegies there.

practices might be a little different down south, or from place to place, but they are likely just spraying glyphosate, with the possibility of simazine or a common broad-leaf selective.

What about bacillus, some of them will make you very sick.

Yes beds are generally regularly sprayed, i've posted this quite a number of times over the years and it is something of concern imo. The chems are varied and broad in composition and concentration, common work vehicle around here would have at least 4 different chems, probably up to 8 in the box at a time. I never looked into it as i don't use it, but one specific dye was said to be worse than a lot of the chems it was trying to indicate ;)

Not being completely aware of the ins and outs of food agricultural industrial use, I personally don't think it's a fair comparison with supermarket food having worked with a lot of the chemicals and seen the concentrations and amounts that a single mushroom can be sprayed with, not to mention the absolute careless use over a huge portion of the industry.

I've seen people directly spray them as well as low to high off target damage spray, even seen people conscious of the fact that they are used as it was said along the lines of used to use these as a kid, don't anymore squirt squirt.

Stupidly i didn't even think of this when the topic was brought up lol but would be a great area of interest!

Besides a lot of unknown biochemistry about the woodlovers, and known or inklings of other alks and the likes, i reckon a lot of people are just taking an OD.

^^Do you mean that the garden beds are being sprayed for weeds or that mushrooms are specifically being sprayed?

I wouldn't put it past some people I have had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting to eat mushrooms anyway even if they have been sprayed.

I've not heard of the intention of sending out crews to spray mushrooms, just a byproduct of the so called weed control and public safety, maintenance, snakes etc. But within the weed control you've got the intentional and unintentional depending on the person.

Edited by gerbil

I've not heard of the intention of sending out crews to spray mushrooms, just a byproduct of the so called weed control and public safety, maintenance, snakes etc. But within the weed control you've got the intentional and unintentional depending on the person.

Cool. I couldn't imagine a government body intentionally poisoning something that some people may intend to eat without required signage e.g Blackberries.

Cool. I couldn't imagine a government body intentionally poisoning something that some people may intend to eat without required signage e.g Blackberries.

why would they care? we aren't on their concern list :) they are illegal after all.

try this if herbicide concerns you

label each batch so you know where they were picked. dry them, but revisit the site before consuming. i'm not sure about the winter conditions down there but i'd expect after two weeks any nearby weeds should be showing signs they've been poisoned.

i've heard about some pink dyes being carcinogenic.

with a bit of persistence you could probably get the council to list the herbicides, wetting agents and dyes that they use. the way legislation is they could probably send you a pile of msds'! it might take 8 months before they get around to it but worth a shot maybe? if you see a work crew in some gardens it might be quicker just to walk up and ask them about what chemicals are carried and what they generally use.... and are they using knapsacks or a rig?

why would they care? we aren't on their concern list :) they are illegal after all.

this is interesting. what are other, legal examples? i'm gonna take a guess and say blackberry isn't controlled with a foliar spray.

the prevailing attitude (say if a tomato is growing wild) is probably "so what? it won't kill them", i'm sorry to say. (well it won't)