The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Amazonian

urban myth...

not sure if i fully follow? legal examples of other harvested foods that are sprayed? fennel, artichoke thistle, mustards and asian greens, some onions just to name a few.

and yep blackberry done by foliar spray primarily if not the cut out, often after repeated application if resistance builds in a stand it seems to start using the herbicide like a nutrient.

what i meant was: would it be common for the council to be foliar spraying plants that are eaten eg blackberry and what else? i'm getting a bit off-topic, but do you reckon councils etc have policies about spraying food plants? i might ask.

i can't think of much around here. a fruiting tomato might get sprayed, or a passionfruit vine. it's not unheard of for a chilli to spring up in a random spot. taro gets sprayed but most people don't eat it.

Yes very common, Alot if not most herbaceous and other weeds tend to be food plants of some sort, policies would probably differ from council to council, some things like olives in specific cultural communities may be spared due to public input/outcry at one point, but asides from things like that, the herby ground layers usually are free for all in a goal of public maintenance and weed control. I always see people collecting plant species that are targeted. Signage is a whole different issue, people are generally slack and or incompetent just put it that way ;) And the legality side of chemical use is ditto from a lot of users as well as the authorities, completely incompetent.

Edited by gerbil

If anybody is still interested, I have found an article from ABC that was updated in February 2016 stating that although alternative methods have been trialled the Yarra city council in Melbourne is still using glyphosate in their parks for weed control.

Here is the link : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/councils-still-using-herbicide-that-probably-causes-cancer/7168464

I think it would be wise to avoid any mushroom growing in a public park that doesn't have weeds or grasses growing in close proximity. 

Then again many mushrooms are really good at bioaccumilation and can absorb a variety of heavy metals and other compounds that are present in their growing medium. So even if you find mushrooms growing in the wild it could pay to find out if there has ever been any human activity in that area. I know that old fashioned gold prospectors used mercury as part of the processing stage. This or any other chemical could potentially be absorbed by the mushrooms and lead to some unpleasant symptoms.

I could easily see how the strychnine myth could have manifested over the years.   

Edited by Alienteaparty

Probably causes cancer is the same category as barbecuing, meaningless.  Well, not meaningless, but not enough evidence to see any major changes.  Nobody has stopped barbecuing.

Councils gonna spray, they have a job to do.  The only time they wont is if YOU remove the weeds frequently enough that they dont have to.  Make a wee sign that says "please no herbicide, I promise to control the weeds routinely"

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/roundup-probably-doesnt-cause-cancer-european-agency-says-n462216

I realise its probably a politicised issue so my link isnt meant to be definitive.  What I am confident in saying is that roundup will continue to be used extensively.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

On ‎8‎/‎07‎/‎2010 at 11:19 PM, ThunderIdeal said:

what i meant was: would it be common for the council to be foliar spraying plants that are eaten eg blackberry and what else? i'm getting a bit off-topic, but do you reckon councils etc have policies about spraying food plants? i might ask.

i can't think of much around here. a fruiting tomato might get sprayed, or a passionfruit vine. it's not unheard of for a chilli to spring up in a random spot. taro gets sprayed but most people don't eat it.

I did a stint for a company that sprays road side weeds in the Brisbane area (council contract) they also do bush regen work (it mostly involves spraying or removing weeds) Everything is sprayed, edibles and natives(roadside, footpath, traffic island scenario) included with little regard to drift.  I would often see edible gardens on footpaths or front fence lines and declare them no spray zones, but I wasn't real popular for that reason.  If you would prefer the Brisbane council not to spray out the front of your house do as Thunder suggested and keep it weed free or you can contact the council or company that currently  has the contract (Technigro me thinks) and be put on a no spray list.

While they use glyso, activators and surfactants are also added.  Information (MSDS, toxicity, etc.) are available for each product individually but no information on the risk once all mixed together.

1 hour ago, ThunderIdeal said:

Probably causes cancer is the same category as barbecuing, meaningless.  Well, not meaningless, but not enough evidence to see any major changes.  Nobody has stopped barbecuing.

Councils gonna spray, they have a job to do.  The only time they wont is if YOU remove the weeds frequently enough that they dont have to.  Make a wee sign that says "please no herbicide, I promise to control the weeds routinely"

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/roundup-probably-doesnt-cause-cancer-european-agency-says-n462216

I realise its probably a politicised issue so my link isnt meant to be definitive.  What I am confident in saying is that roundup will continue to be used extensively.

Since patent period has finished for glyso and every man and his dog are now selling it, I will speculate down the track Monsanto or Monsanto/Bayer if the merge happens, will release a new product but not until liability for any damage caused from using glyso is shared with all the new companies that jumped on the band wagon.  As in 10 years if glyso is agreed carcinongenic you will need to prove you were using glyso supplied by Monsanto and not the Bunnings version.

• Like 1

Its a very interesting theory but I assumed that probably its heaviest user, roundup-ready crops, would have a contractual requirement to use Monsanto product.

As nothink's story illustrates not all spray dudes are willfully cretinous and many are gardeners just like us.  

Now if you're growing a vegetable on council land and notice a weed next to it has been sprayed, dont flip your lid.  Its no different from what happens to the food you buy at the shop.

Mushrooms?  I forget what came up in this thread the first time around, but its a much more complicatedd question I think, whether to eat a mushroom from a sprayed patch.