The Corroboree
planthelper

high end serial trading thread

i had the idea to start a high end serial trading thread, but maybe it will not work, if people dishoner there trade commitments.

the idea would be, to create a space where we could trade plants, cacti and fungi specimens with a value of around 50aus or so.

like this i hope that plants like iboga and kava, to name only few, could be making the rounds more frequently.

anyway, do you think i ought to give it a go?

I would happily/eagerly participate...

Id be more than happy to provide some 'registration details' or some such (to an administrator) if it makes people feel more secure in the trading.

Yes please :) Sounds good

I like the idea of registration details at least give sab your residential adress and full name or somthing. and photos!

im in :-) :shroomer:

sounds good. maybe it could be a private/hidden section for members with a certain amount of posts? or registration details need to be given.

I would be in for that too.

'platinum' trading forum... :P

sounds good. maybe it could be a private/hidden section for members with a certain amount of posts? or registration details need to be given.

Says he who has hit the 502 post mark !!!newimprovedwinkonclear.gif

a value of around 50aus or so.

Is that dollars or cents

blink.gif

Says he who has hit the 502 post mark !!!

ha yeah i was going to say 'around about 500 posts would prove the member is respectable and cool'.... ha!

or maybe you could be allowed in if referred by a member who has been around a while. basically there would need to be some sort of system to ensure everyone is trustworthy. i know there are people on here who have been here for years but hardly post and it would suck if they couldn't join because of a post count rule.

I'm going to play the devils advocate and throw a few things out there.

Some people will interpret this 'platinum trading thread' as being elitist, especially if you go down the route of requiring registration, certain number of posts (WTF, have you forgotten Teotz'?), being recommended by a respectable/'trusted' member etc.

How do people on the outside of the 'inner circle' get in? Should they waste their trades in the 2nd tier trading thread to prove how generous they are?

If there was a collecting of people's residential addresses etc, it wouldn't be SAB holding them as it's does have a certain kind of separation from the forums (Torsten can explain this better than I and/or smack me down if I'm totally wrong :wink: ). Where is this info stored? How secure is it? Who verifies that it is accurate?

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea, I just think we need to think carefully about how it's going to work.

• Like 1

One thing in this regard, who sets to value the item, I might say it is worth $50 to me but it may only end up being worth $20 to you? ideally a trade should be described and if someone wants the trader item & has an item that is agreeable to the trader than that satisfies the trade conditions as long as the items are as described. Then we have a true barter system.

I'm in but would prefer if it isn't post count based. For one I don't think a high post count necessarily equals reliability and for two I wouldn't want to see these forums filled with crap just so someone can get their post count up.

Here's an idea, feel free to shoot it down.

To contribute to the thread one must maintain a reliable trading history across the forums and donate an amount of $$ ($50??) to EGA each year. Would require some admin to ensure the reliable trading issue.

I'm not suggesting the $$ donation is in any way a deposit or insurance against bad trades. You can't get money back from EGA if a trade goes bad. I just think people would be less likely to scam the system if they have already committed hard earned $$ and it may help EGAs bottom line. I am not affiliated with EGA at all btw...

I like the idea of registration details at least give sab your residential adress and full name or somthing. and photos!

Photos of me or of what I want to trade?

ideally a trade should be described and if someone wants the trader item & has an item that is agreeable to the trader than that satisfies the trade conditions as long as the items are as described. Then we have a true barter system.

I assumed PH meant a continual trading thread? I get what the person above offers and the person below me gets what I'm offering? but I could be wrong.

I think the $50 payment is a good idea but it would be better to use the payment to pay the bad debt - as insurance. If it has to be used for your trade than you need to pay again??

I assumed PH meant a continual trading thread? I get what the person above offers and the person below me gets what I'm offering? but I could be wrong.

Yeah that's the impression I got too.

I'd be keen for this. It would move at a much slower pace than the regular thread, but that's ok. I think everything would just work out. Just look at the overall success of the other thread, it's up to something like 600 trades now isn't it? And generally it's been very good, a couple of late trades but so what, you've got to expect that.

Edited by Alice

edit: double post

Edited by Alice

I think the $50 payment is a good idea but it would be better to use the payment to pay the bad debt - as insurance. If it has to be used for your trade than you need to pay again??

Maybe EGA could be approached and asked if they would be willing to "sponsor" the thread? A $50 donation to EGA gives someone access to the thread for a year, and in exchange EGA "guarantees" each trade so that if it goes to shit then they provide $25 worth of raffle tickets as compensation? Raffle tickets don't really cost them money so they have the potential to make some serious coin without risk of having to spend any? The dodgy trader is of course booted.

I dunno, just an idea. As I said in no way am I affiliated with EGA, I just think it is an organisation we can all relate to and should be supporting.

I think it's a great idea, nothing worse than putting up a free trade worth $50 only to have sum1 come in and go, yonk VVVvv gets 10 pap som seeds from supermarket vvvVVVV, however, I don't think this would be as ness if people who traded in the free trade thread only ever put up equal to or higher value trade. I have always taken this as a given, but iot appears sum take the free trade thread for granted and only offer crap trades which stalls the whole process. If u havn'ty got a trade equal to, greater or atleast damn close, go buy it or source sumwhere else. I understand that many new starters have very little to offer, but hey I can't figure out a solution to that prob.

• Like 1

Photos of me or of what I want to trade?

depends, are you good looking? lol. the item of course

however, I don't think this would be as ness if people who traded in the free trade thread only ever put up equal to or higher value trade.

wouldnt that end up with things just getting more and more expensive?

I like the idea of the thread but i think its tricky about what standards are used to value something. For example a viridis grown in a southern place vs one grown in tropics. Would it be ok if my southern grown one is smaller? I mean the same amount of effort could have gone into it but the end outcome could be vastly different.

if we can work out some of the finer details I think it would be great

There's never really a perfect way to go about this stuff, the only other route to satisfaction is one of two other methods..

*1 - do the trade or sale in person where ever possible, particularly for goods over $300.

*2 - Ask seller for postage quote, only pay the postage at first then the total of goods once received and happy, if dissatisfied with goods take picture as proof of why, and send back at your cost.

There is a third n forth option...

Ask your preferred legitimate ethno vendor to supply you with chosen plants, or use an auction site with pay pal for limited protection.

great discussion!

i think the simplest approach is the best, no deposits, high post counts or address holding is necessary.

but the trade items would have to be very well described, or better portrayed in a pic or two,

like this valuation will be guarded.

and as said, the excisting cont. trading thread, had only a few hickups over many sucessfull years!

than let's just go for it.

Edited by planthelper

great discussion!

i think the simplest approach is the best, no deposits, high post counts or address holding is necessary.

but the trade items would have to be very well described, or better portrayed in a pic or two,

like this valuation will be guarded.

and as said, the excisting cont. trading thread, had only a few hickups over many sucessfull years!

than let's just go for it.

i would like to start the thread now, but got no exact details about the items, sorry.

VVVVVgets a ~25cm planthelper catha edulis sucker plantVVVVVV

and

VVVVVa rooted ~30cm or more eileen tip cuttingVVVVVV

and

VVVVVmedium size heimia plantsVVVVVV

the ph sucker, has a much higher value for me than cuttings, because it will enable the owner some easy probagation of this strain.

i don't have a single 50dollar plant atm, so i offer a convolut,

but the aim is clear to get a continous flow of upmarket value plants.

Yes please!

vvvv gets garlic chives seeds vvvvvv

joking!!!

please continue :P

• Like 1