The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

First Flower

I just finished watching this incredible doco on SBS, just managed to hit record on the IQ and recorded half of it...I must say this is one of the best short documentary's I've seen on plants and I highly recommend everyone here who hasn't seen this, to look out for it, buy it or download it from sosmewhere if you can find it. It will answer so many questions you have about plants and blow you away at the same time.

article from Sydney morning Herald.

Beautifully filmed and filled with close-ups of some extraordinary plants, this still won't entertain everyone.

The production of flowers puts tremendous strain on a plant and for millions of years plants without flowers outnumbered those with them. So why do flowers exist?

The answer, as with anything concerning evolution, involves sex. However, propagation is no simple matter in a world of stamens and pistils.

This documentary follows two teams of scientists. One is hunting for fossils of what may be the world's earliest flower by traversing remote northern China. The other is tackling the question by looking at the DNA of flowers.

Some of the lessons will surprise. Strawberries, for example, are genetically close to marijuana.

Beautifully filmed and filled with close-ups of some rare and extraordinary looking plants, this still won't entertain everyone. But if you're intrigued by horticulture, settle into the sofa with a bowl of your favourite flowering plant.

Seriously cool program. :)

so whats the title? keen to watch.

But if you're intrigued by horticulture, settle into the sofa with a bowl of your favourite flowering plant.

Ha ha... whose quote is this, Chiral?

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Sounds good

Apparently plants didn't flower in the early stages of evolution and then for some reason plants just started to flower.

was on 11am WST this morning on SBS1. IQ'd aswell. Nice show.

so whats the title? keen to watch.

the title is "First Flower"

Would love to know if they intend to do follow up docs and make a series out of it, perhaps delve deeper and explore the shamanic side of things more intently.

But if you're intrigued by horticulture, settle into the sofa with a bowl of your favourite flowering plant.

Ha ha... whose quote is this, Chiral?

It's pretty cool huh, it's just part of the article actually, I also chuckled when I read it.

the title is "First Flower"

I should have realized that that was the title.wacko.gif I gotta learn to read things more carefully.

Thanks for the heads up B)

Thanks for the heads up Chiral, sounds like a great watch indeed. And thanks for that link Thunder, much appreciated.

is this the same one? My link

lol corporate funding provided by ExxonMobil