The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Land Yabbies

Anyone ever heard of land yabbies before? I have them all through my garden. Do they hibernate in winter or am i just bad at finding them? All i see is holes.

Anyone ever heard of land yabbies before? I have them all through my garden. Do they hibernate in winter or am i just bad at finding them? All i see is holes.

Go outside at night with a torch ,sneak up on the burrows and you should see them. You could probably put a piece of meat on a bit of string and go yabbying in your own back yard. Catch and release of course.

wtf??? must be a eastern states thing aye? do use get sandgropers over there?

Edited by Bush_Turkey

Ah Haaaaaa,

thats what those little structures are.

I saw some in the Otways a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks ZP

wtf??? must be a eastern states thing aye? do use get sandgropers over there?

Is that really a colloquialism for being felt up on the beach? I have heard "sandgroper" stories from W.A. since I was a kid.

I'm 27 and lived in NSW all my life and I have never heard of land yabbies wtf?!

land yabbies in SA as well i think. Or maybe that's land sharks

I used to find them dead (except they looked more like crabs than yabbies to me) around the yarra valley area quite often, in places that there didn't seem to be a water source. I just assumed they were crabs and that someone must have bought them there for bait or something, since I couldn't find any info about crabs in the Yarra valley! Used to flip me out though, because I used to find them all over the yarra rangers well looking for mushrooms.

Makes sense why I couldn't find anything about them now. It's a round looking yabbie, rather than a crab.

Is that really a colloquialism for being felt up on the beach? I have heard "sandgroper" stories from W.A. since I was a kid.

haha na dude! this is a sandgroper

post-4590-127623468101_thumb.jpg

ive picked one up thinking it was a monster toy. wish i could go yabbying in my backyard!

I thought it was a mole cricket?

nope it was thought it was a mole cricket but now its its own species

ive picked one up thinking it was a monster toy. wish i could go yabbying in my backyard!

Wow that looks nasty. Looks like a cross between a grasshopper, a yabbie and an ant.

yeah they are scary looking! never ever seen one till i mooved to this suburb. when their on their back they look man made!

has there ever been land yabbys in W.A.??? wonder if they are edible? :slap::puke:

swear that sandgroper has a big smile on its face??

Edited by Bush_Turkey

swear that sandgroper has a big smile on its face??

Yeah, looks like a balinese war mask or something.

Ah Haaaaaa,

thats what those little structures are.

I saw some in the Otways a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks ZP

I saw you looking at them on the Sunday but was distracted by fungii before I mentioned it.

Funnily enough, about 15 yrs back I was driving from Narrandera to Wagga Wagga at night and came across a migration of real yabbies (C. destructor). They were crossing the road in their hundreds and I half-filled the back of the Landcruiser with them, mostly around 1/4lb (apparently the biggest move fastest according to a few old bushies I've spoken to about the phenomenon).

Like eels, they sense when their water is going to dry up and head for he nearest river, days before it happens - farm dams were all reasonably full at the time, so they're sharper than me.

ed

well i got me a thermas of hit stuff and im gonna camp out to see one of these guys. Bloke next door says that they coloured 'like a zombie' what ever that means. Bluey white.

I've only really seen them on water rat feed tables, maybe in a hole once or twice but not walking about.

You've got a Funnel Web up in the ranges too :P any deer yet?

I think youll find that IS a Mole-Cricket BT. Sandgropers have a long skinny yellow body, same head but.

Edited by mr b.caapi

^ i thought it was a mole cricket too but never knew of the existence of the sand groper. Looking at Google images, the sand groper does have an elongated abdomen in comparison to the stout body of the mole cricket.

ABC link http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2005/05/21/1373549.htm

.Mole crickets are often confused with the superficially similar sand gropers or cylindra-chetids .They are readily distinguished by their longer appendages and (usually) the presence of wings in adults.

has there ever been land yabbys in W.A.??? wonder if they are edible? :slap::puke:

Yes there are a couple of species, they occur in moist areas in the karri forest around Margaret River and Walpole.

I have inadvertently dug up hibernating yabbies during the dry, in areas that are swamped in winter ,but i didnt know there was such a thing as a true land yabbie!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sandgropers are bigger in NZ ,behold the wetta!

2841070.jpg

Edited by blowng

they sorta look like the yabbie version of a hermit crab

39yo & i learn something new each day gotta love the interwebz........... land yabbies r az fucking cool as chat cunts IMO

Edited by mac