The Corroboree
DDan77

3 Years Running..

Question

Hi all, I have been watching this great forum for a little while and I hoped you guys would find my 'Macguyver Missions' (as a mate calls them when I go) ineresting..

I only have a few pics as the locations I hunt are frequented by joggers, dog walkers, families and the like..

The first 2 pics are from 2008, the rest are from, well, yesterday actually!( hehe )..

Only mobile fone pics, sorry.

post-6495-127577008153_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577008714_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577020747_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577021402_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577021828_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577022126_thumb.jpg

post-6495-127577022391_thumb.jpg

Cheers..

If anyone knows exactly what species I have please let me know?, I think most - if not all ive gotten so far has been cubensis?

EDIT: Oh by the way, once I have all the mush trimmed and neat, all the left over woodchips, dirt, etc is spread back a the location, as well as various potential locations I find.. I think that may have helped yesterdays find??..

Edited by DDan77

8 answers to this question

It's a real worry that you think these are cubensis, you really need to take the time out to do some reading, it is essential.

This is not a go at you specifically, but it is incredibly frustrating that people aren't putting in the base work on something that is potentially fatal or highly damaging to the body, i can understand the excitement, but imo people please slow down, these are very serious matters and the body won't give a shit about mental naivety, chemistry flows and the damage is done whether the mind wants to accept it or not.

The photos seem to be of the subaeruginosa group, however no one can actively Id all the specimens in your photos from photos alone, you need to be aware that different species, often ones that look very similar, grow side by side and potentially even fruit so side by side that one species is pushing up into another species cap.

Putting stem buts, chips etc back into the original location probably can't hurt, it would probably increase the patch size, but realistically if a mushroom is fruiting there, it already has a substantial mycelial mat in place. News spots definitely benefit in the sense of giving rise to a new population in a new specific location. Be aware that this is not really a grey area, but fully black in the eyes of 'the man'.

Im going to second gerbils comments.

you gotta read. go read all the mushroom books in your local library to get a good idea of similarities, and habitat.

and then read some more. there are plenty of look alikes, and if you are not familiar enought to know the differnces you may end in trouble.

like gerbil im not having a go at you personally, but you can do some major damage to yourself if you pick the wrong ones.

cheers, obtuse.

(edit: ) some of those pics are quite good, pity they are mobile phone pics though. that botom group look georgeous.

Edited by obtuse

I dont know why you guys would think because I thought the species may have been cubensis, that I would completely misjudge genus?.. I have a vast library of books and video, and while I sometimes, or even often may not be 100% on species, I am always 200% on genus.. I know the dangers have have done plenty to homework..

Thanks gerbil for advising they could be p.subaeruginosa...

Edited by DDan77

my concern was your identification as cubensis, and my comments for those who may stumble across this thread.

i am aware of some fairly far out identifications, thats all, and i just get a little worried.

cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

if you have read a lot, how come did you think people can help you ID those shrooms from that [sorry, me not having a go at you either] un-focused , pretty bad shots?

I only have a few pics as the locations I hunt are frequented by joggers, dog walkers, families and the like..

why would the presence of people prevent you from taking photographs? Is the picking sport so well known and of a bad reputation because of the legal status of Psilocybes in oz??

if you have read a lot, how come did you think people can help you ID those shrooms from that [sorry, me not having a go at you either] un-focused , pretty bad shots?

why would the presence of people prevent you from taking photographs? Is the picking sport so well known and of a bad reputation because of the legal status of Psilocybes in oz??

When it comes down to it, I really wanted to just share my finds.. Sometimes mushrooms do not look like we expect, depending on climate, substrate, location and various other factors, it is often impossible to identify an exact species unless under a microscope, even though you may be sure on genus..

It is illegal to pick psilocybes in Australia, so I am not taking any chances, but with saying that I found a few new patches this year(4 total), and 2 of them are fairly isolated.. If we get a little more rain this year, ill take my camera and get some proper shots....

Edited by DDan77

sorry if I sounded harsh

spore prints, caps undersides, multiple photos in good angles, good focus, shrooms at various stage of growth are all things you have to try to bring along when opening up such a thread, especially for such mushrooms you're searching.

Edited by gerbil