The Corroboree
Chiral

Meet the face of Big Brother in NSW

706841-big-brother.jpg

THE State Government is quietly compiling a mathematical map of almost every adult's face, sharing information that allows law enforcement to track people by CCTV.

Experts said yesterday few people realised their facial features were being recorded in an RTA database of drivers licence photos that the Government has allowed both state and federal police to access.

The federal body CrimTrac has asked NSW for its database so it can be mined nationally by police using the facial recognition information contained in it.

University experts in facial recognition said the correct match rate was as low as 90 per cent, meaning the names of people with faces sharing a similar structure to criminals could be returned in searches.

Dr Carolyn Semmler from the University of Adelaide said police wanted to eventually use facial recognition in smart CCTV cameras allowing people to be tracked anywhere there was a camera.

Some airports, such as Singapore, employ facial recognition technology and the US is considering using it at border crossings.

"Police hope that at some point an individual can be tracked," Dr Semmler said yesterday.

Professor Sowmya Arcot from the University of NSW said a "matrix of numbers" based on features and the distance between facial structures was derived using an algorithm applied to a photograph of a face.

That could then be matched to other faces stored in a database.

Opposition police spokesman Mike Gallacher said most people were unaware their face had been mapped when they applied for or had their licences renewed, allowing them to potentially be tracked.

"Over 20 years ago we had a debate about the Australia card and the people of this country showed where they stood in relation to the government knowing people's movements," he said.

"The push for this into the future has far greater ramifications than some old Australia card.

"I have a concern about a lack of public debate."

The RTA began compiling its facial recognition database last December.

Roads Minister David Borger said it would be shared with other government agencies.

"While the facial recognition system is in its early stages, the RTA will co-operate with other agencies wherever possible," he said.

"The RTA already provides information to the police, and will co-operate with other state or federal law enforcement agencies."

He said the technology was also preventing fraud and stopping people obtaining multiple licences.

A spokeswoman for CrimTrac said its board of management had granted approval for a project proposal for a nation facial recognition capability.

source

Oh how lovely to find this out after it's already been done.

• Like 1

This is not new. If you have a passport after 2006 then your biometrics are already recorded on a govt database. Go to the middle page and feel the chip. When you enter an airport they can turn on a device and read the chip and check against your face. Wont be long before money and all ID is done this way...

I always made a point of being smashed when I got my licence photo, so if a cop pulled me over and looked at the photo chances are I'd look normal.

But this adds a whole new twist.

It seems big brother really is watching us

• Like 1

This is not new. If you have a passport after 2006 then your biometrics are already recorded on a govt database. Go to the middle page and feel the chip. When you enter an airport they can turn on a device and read the chip and check against your face. Wont be long before money and all ID is done this way...

I had my passport taken in 2007 and it was still standard picture. My mate just had something done for the UK and they took three digital photos to compile a 3D view of his face and they also took his fingerprints. What we have is still a photo and RFID chip.

You're right about money, there will be a massive terrorist incident, a proper GFC or perhaps even a false flag and governments will go cashless. It will start with countries smaller and more sophisticated countries like Sweden and Australia and move to larger populations as time goes on.

THE State Government is quietly compiling a mathematical map of almost every adult's face, sharing information that allows law enforcement to track people by CCTV.

Dr Carolyn Semmler from the University of Adelaide said police wanted to eventually use facial recognition in smart CCTV cameras allowing people to be tracked anywhere there was a camera.

"Police hope that at some point an individual can be tracked," Dr Semmler said yesterday.

Opposition police spokesman Mike Gallacher said most people were unaware their face had been mapped when they applied for or had their licences renewed, allowing them to potentially be tracked.

I don't know about you lot, but isn't using "your face" and mapping it's distinctions, storing in a data base.. without your consent an infringement of the most fundamental civil rights...?????

^agree, but I have heard police talking about our rights as 'privileges' recently, suggesting that they are not innate and given by God, but are in-fact granted by the government. The government should not be put in a position where it can dictate our rights.

Zuckerman-facebook-douche was recently whinging about the same thing when people wanted their right to privacy respected, unfortunately hindering zuckerman making another petty 100k (petty for him). He claimed people needed to get over it and that they had nothing to fear if they had nothing to hide. Heard this before???

Tracking people should be illegal, how is it different from stalking, and what is the point in having laws if the government is allowed to break them, if the government has nothing to fear they should fuck off and shut the fuck up, but they have a great deal to fear.

• Like 1

I had my passport taken in 2007 and it was still standard picture. My mate just had something done for the UK and they took three digital photos to compile a 3D view of his face and they also took his fingerprints. What we have is still a photo and RFID chip.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/dept/passports/

That chip contains information on biometrics. An example of biometrics would be facial recognition, Distance between eyes that sort of thing.

Thats hardcore about UK taking 3 photos for 3d reconstruction..... I bet you they have a virtual model of society as well. Like a private second life where they carry out things as a simulation first.

Kinda scarey thinking that there might be a virtual you somewhere on a second life like society... I bet google is all for this....

See the thing is no one reads the fine print these days.... Im betting you give them permission to share your photo when you sign up for a licence. Thing that sucks is its all a big monopoly. If i want to drive i have to give the police my biometrics. WTF? I want to register with someone else......

Edited by Slybacon

WTF? I want to register with someone else...
, This is how Mark McMurtrie drives without a licence, he sets himself up as a competitor and issues his own license as it is an illegal monopoly. The ATO should also have competitors and is not even registered as a legal company, making it illegal to pay your taxes and support an illegal establishment.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/dept/passports/

That chip contains information on biometrics. An example of biometrics would be facial recognition, Distance between eyes that sort of thing.

Thats hardcore about UK taking 3 photos for 3d reconstruction..... I bet you they have a virtual model of society as well. Like a private second life where they carry out things as a simulation first.

Kinda scarey thinking that there might be a virtual you somewhere on a second life like society... I bet google is all for this....

See the thing is no one reads the fine print these days.... Im betting you give them permission to share your photo when you sign up for a licence. Thing that sucks is its all a big monopoly. If i want to drive i have to give the police my biometrics. WTF? I want to register with someone else......

In Britain where you can't go anywhere(almost) without being in veiw of a camera they have computers scan the images for anomalies, any behaviour that is out of the ordinary is deemed suspicious by the computer and a police officer is dispatched straight away. It doesn't pay to be an individual these days, if you are you may be considered to be about to commit a crime. This is in a way is a virtual model of society already in place.

It is almost like society is becoming overseen by computers and humans are becoming servants to the computers.

Edited by Magicdirt

Forget Big Brother, this shit is heading into "Minority Point" or even a "Gataga" direction... :blink:

there are only two of the these at the mo but they will pop up everywhere im sure, who knows really what capability they have facial recognition etc....only noticed them last week and have seen them in shopping centre carparks and pub carparks. sure you could argue location at pubs due to antisocial behaviour and such but if i was a conspiricy theorist i would propose the location in shopping centre carparks may be to gather as much info as possible ie everybody goes to the shops. thats a lotta faces to scan and if you were a criminal with something to hide as such you may avoid locations such as the city where you would expect cctv.

basically oscar is a mobile trailer cctv system owned by government, in the pic on the below link the telescopic camera is down, when its raised it goes very high.

creating a false identity and building a cave tunnel system underneath my house is starting to seem like a sexy proposition. why did that awesome site TOTSE have to bloody shut down.

http://eastern.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Oscar-CCTV-cameras-to-zoom-on-vandalism/7555991/

I blame the movies for planting these fucked up ideas in our minds, I blame the paranoid conspiracy theorists for banging on about it so much in their fatalistic ways... and i blame myself for being complicit with all this bullshit.

I forgive myself too, and I forgive all of you. :P

Seriously though, aren't we just living out the suggestions of fantasy and science fiction writers? Are they part of the conspiracy for global control?

There is always a hero in these dystopian movies though. Come on Neo, save the day!

Anyone seen Brazil? Brilliant movie, whenever it seems the feces are in such close proximity to the rotary blades I always think of the maintenance man reminding us "We're all in this together"

*sigh* this sux, now I need a face that changes every couple seconds like in that new car add.

[edit] TOTSE's shut down!?! That's how i first found this place!

Edited by The Dude

yeh TOTSE shut down bout a year and a half ago, great site that was...

mark of the beast

Does it actually prevent or minimise crime relative to the expenditure? In London they have camera's everywhere, yet a group of people were able to board the subway and detonate their explosives. Bomb detectors would have been better and less privacy imposing than camera's in that situation. Even with face recognition can the officers actually prevent a major highly organised crime in time? Otherwise what kind of crimes and criminals are actually being picked up by these units? If they are routinely picking up serial killers, corporate swindlers, missing children, Elvis and terrorists carrying C4 hey its a great thing! But Im not reading that much anywhere so Im skeptical. On a positive it could usher in a new era of lazy unintuitive solitare playing police.

Edited by botanika

The fear of crime, convincing the general snooze public that this will make them safer is all that is required to run these sorts of data collections...they have an airtight argument...

"if you are not doing anything wrong...then you have nothing to worry about right"...

damn we all better sign up for facebook, post guzzilion pics of ourselves, and apply for a body chip asap, we all know those things will protect us, keep us safe even better right....no nutjobs or stalkers on facebook right, there's never been a single incident of identity fraud huh...the equipment they use to make all this new ID shit can easily be bought on the black market for the right price by criminals.."ALWAYS"...people are corruptible at every single level, and that is a fact.

Collecting DNA, body chipping, cashless societies, chipped passports, facial recognition, cctv camera's, credit histories, census, tax offices, tax file numbers, prescriptions, phone numbers, email address's, speed cameras, breath tests, drug tests and fingerprinting...

All just means of counting and categorizing humans...soon we will have experts who can predict when people are going to do something wrong, deny access to health when someone is dying(cleaning the gene pools) random mass poisonings and virus releasing (more cleaning of contaminated humans)...mind police will round you up before you do what ever it is you are thinking of doing, people will be monitored in clandestine ways based on their profiling..(profiling done by putting all the above in bold together to form said profiles)..every single item you purchase will leave a trail to you...you better have a bloody good reason for having that litre of acetone and Kg of sodium hydroxide in your place of abode.

No two faces are the same huh...I'd like to see the maths behind the facial recognition process and know if quite a few peoples numbers match or are extremely similar.

• Like 1

Chiral

damn we all better sign up for facebook, post guzzilion pics of ourselves, and apply for a body chip asap, we all know those things will protect us, keep us safe even better right....no nutjobs or stalkers on facebook right, there's never been a single incident of identity fraud huh...the equipment they use to make all this new ID shit can easily be bought on the black market for the right price by criminals.."ALWAYS"...people are corruptible at every single level, and that is a fact

facebook no#1....amazed to find my own pic on google images + plus being no#3 basic search engine wise on my real name, you couldnt buy that shit if you wanted to market something, i didnt know anything about privacy for 3 years. i call them superbots...the superbots of the future will scan all available information, your shopping dockets to pension coupons, a all encompassing system will in a way similar to a thread be judgeding your core response. if you eat at 5pm and spend your money frugally then the system will not be allerted. in a way the new moderaters will be infact sophisticated human cross super bot riders who ride the system. as similar to the facebook experience now once the newborn baby (you) is born a contract is signed via your dna uploaded to the mainframe, the contract is owned the government and your thread is created. To start with the young child reports every year until a complete file is created, from then on police assisted search engines scan millions of people per hour for 'variables'. Key words and over and underactivity, public reports all contribute to a future cop bot being alerted by you, then scans will begin..the lasers will point at you, your basically fucked.

on a more human point i object to this new policy of nightclubs to scan your licence, sure showing your id to a government, or public servant is no big deal, law protects you, however at 1am in the morning you get your licence scanned by acme club co, within 30 seconds it could be getting printed on the other side of the world, just think about it, the easiest identity bank in the world.

damn we all better sign up for facebook, post guzzilion pics of ourselves, and apply for a body chip asap, we all know those things will protect us, keep us safe even better right....no nutjobs or stalkers on facebook right, there's never been a single incident of identity fraud huh...the equipment they use to make all this new ID shit can easily be bought on the black market for the right price by criminals.."ALWAYS"...people are corruptible at every single level, and that is a fact.

I was going to mention something about the irony that we protest all this identification collection yet happily distribute away our identity and often significant information on facebook or myspace!

Might see some clever special FX movements where the latest fashion is to apply latex facial makeup to deceive the scan. Could dress up like the pod people from the movie 'The Dark Crystal'. Maybe we're not far off it... enjoying our cosy internet pod lives, singing and dancing, unaware the Rule Bitannia Skeksi's are watching with their flying 'bat like' cameras and skuttling SWAT teams of bugs about to smash through the walls...ahhh anyway if you've seen the movie you'd understand...

Edited by botanika

i can't believe anyone hasn't seen the dark crystal.

its quality.

Makes wearing a niqab or burqa seem like an idea...

dark crystal is the shit

hopefully burqas wont be banned here like in france