The Corroboree
Slybacon

Quotes of the day.

"But let the mind beware, that though the flesh be bugged, the circumstances of existence are pretty glorious."

— Jack Kerouac (The Dharma Bums)

"I have nothing to ask him. Also, you see, there’s no point to seek advice from him." - The Dalai Lama, when asked about not meeting Australian prime minister Julia Gillard

• Like 1

Bahahaha. Good one qualia.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret ~I have no idea

When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

-Cave Johnson (Portal 2)

… Open your eyes, look

within. Are you satisfied with

the life you're living? …

Bob Marley

"Let me try and clarify some of this for you. Best Company Supermarkets are not interested in selling wholesome foods. They are not worried about the nation's health. What is concerning them, is that the nation appears to be getting worried about its health, and that is what's worrying Best Co., because Best Co. wants to go on selling them what it always has, i.e. white breads, baked beans, canned foods, and that suppurating, fat squirting little heart attack traditionally known as the British sausage. So, how can we help them with that? Clearly, we are looking for a label. We need a label brimming with health, and everything from a nosh pot to a white sliced will wear one with pride. And although I'm aware of the difficulties of coming to terms with this, it must be appreciated from the beginning, that even the nosh pot must be low in something, and if it isn't, it must be high in something else, and that is its health-giving ingredient we will sell. Which brings me to my final question: who are we trying to sell this to? Answer: we are trying to sell this to the archetypal average housewife, she who fills her basket. What you have here is a 22 year old pretty girl. What you need is taut slob, something on foot deodorisers in a brassiere. " - Denis Dingleby Bagley

"It may be that the human race is doomed, never to learn from its mistakes. We are the only animals on this globe who periodically set out to slaughter each other for the best, the noblest, the most inescapable of reasons. We know better. But we do it again and again in generation after generation. It may be that our empire, too, is doomed - like all those that have gone before it - to continue to spew and waste its best blood on foreign soil, no matter what we say or do in this place, or think, or believe, or have learned from history."

From the movie "Young Winston" and then sampled in the track "Our History Will Be What We Make of It" by Maybeshewill.

• Like 1

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan

"yeah he's guilty, but he knows it, i mean, you're guilty and you dont know it, so who's really in jail?" - maynard keenan in Mr show

Hip-hop is a tree and trees live by their roots, all the roots live underground while the domino's sulute.

Shabazz

Edited by Slybacon

"Extreme violence has a way of preventing us from seeing the interests it serves."

— Naomi Klein (The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism)

paraphrased quote from memory

"The problem with stereotypes isn't that they're not true but that they provide only a single story."

- Chimamanda Adichie

i once watched a doco narrated by leonard cohen about tibetan culture, it might have been called "the tibetan book of the dead", i'm pretty sure i heard this quote from that doco, but maybe not.. i also cant remember it exactly...

"when you're born into this world, you cry. when you leave this world, others cry."

i should try to find it again so i can get it verbatim.

"But instead of planting a quarter million acres for each power station, we're destroying the world's forests, at a rate of fifty million acres a year."

Sample from a Daheen track.

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible."

— Albert Einstein

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious - the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science."

— Albert Einstein

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

— Carl Sagan

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

— Anaïs Nin

"Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?"

— Stephen Hawking

"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them"

— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy"

-Kahlil Gibran

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

— T.S. Eliot

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas

i've been listening to RAW lectues lately so..

Robert anton wilson[/b:

"There is no governor anywhere; you are all absolutely free. There is no restraint that cannot be escaped. We are all absolutely free. If everybody could go into dhyana at will, nobody could be controlled — by fear of prison, by fear of whips or electroshock, by fear of death, even. All existing society is based on keeping those fears alive, to control the masses. Ten people who know would be more dangerous than a million armed anarchists."

"All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense."

".belief is the death of intelligence."

"I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions."

""Is," "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment."

"Human beings live in their myths. They only endure their realities."

"Each mans spills the drink he loves."

"Everybody who has ever worked for a corporation knows that corporations conspire all the time. Politicians conspire all the time, pot-dealers conspire not to get caught by the narcs, the world is full of conspiracies. Conspiracy is natural primate behavior."

"You simply cannot invent any conspiracy theory so ridiculous and obviously satirical that some people somewhere don't already believe it."

"When we meet somebody whose separate tunnel-reality is obviously far different from ours, we are a bit frightened and always disoriented. We tend to think they are mad, or that they are crooks trying to con us in some way, or that they are hoaxers playing a joke. Yet it is neurologically obvious that no two brains have the same genetically-programmed hard wiring, the same imprints, the same conditioning, the same learning experiences. We are all living in separate realities. That is why communication fails so often, and misunderstandings and resentments are so common. I say "meow" and you say "Bow-wow," and each of us is convinced the other is a bit dumb."

"under the present brutal and primitive conditions on this planet, every person you meet should be regarded as one of the walking wounded. we have never seen a man or woman not slightly deranged by either anxiety or grief. we have never seen a totally sane human being."

"There are periods of history when the visions of madmen and dope fiends are a better guide to reality than the common-sense interpretation of data available to the so-called normal mind. This is one such period, if you haven't noticed already."

.."an optimistic mind-set finds dozens of possible solutions for every problem that the pessimist regards as incurable."

"How many times... have you encountered the saying, 'When the student is ready, the Master speaks?' Do you know why that is true? The door opens inward. The Master is everywhere, but the student has to open his mind to hear the Masters Voice."

Edited by paradox
  • Like 5

Great post paradox.

""Is," "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment."

"Each mans spills the drink he loves."

i also enjoyed this post, especially these two.

.tn hc.

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”

- Winston Churchill

:lol:

Why the Dog Could Not Drink (Sufi teaching story)

Shibli was asked:

"Who guided you in the Path?"

He said: "A dog. One day I saw him, almost dead with thirst, standing by the water's edge.

Every time he looked at his reflection in the water he was frightened, and

withdrew, because he thought it was another dog.

Finally, such was his necessity, he cast away fear and leapt into the water; at which the "other dog" vanished.

The dog found that the obstacle, which was himself, the barrier between him and what he sought, melted away.

In this same way my own obstacle vanished, when I knew that it was what I took to be my own self. And my Way was first shown to me by the behaviour of - a dog."

Idries Shah

• Like 1

"Remember when is the lowest form of conversation."

Tony Soprano. :wink:

"The more things resist me the more rabid I get. With time, and nothing but my teeth and nails, I would rage up from the bowels of the earth to its crust, knowing full well I had nothing to gain. And when I had no more teeth, no more nails, I would dig through the rock with my bones."

"The meadow mushroom when early has pink gills that turn to brown upon maturity. If you didn't know the lore, you would liken the dark underside to unwholesomeness and the light underbelly to goodness. The morel can be dark but it is always pitted, whereas the false morel is dark but smooth.

That which is scarred and pitted in nature can mean sustenance and life, whereas a smooth and pretty skin can mean destruction and death.

People, too, are not often what they seem, even those whom you love. You must look closely, Sarah."

Martha, to her daughter Sarah.. From the book "The Heretic's daughter" by Kathleen Kent.

"An addiction to gardening is

not all bad when you consider

all the other choices in life."

Cora Lea Bell

• Like 1

insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

jimi hendrix

"This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; " 1 Samuel 17 vs 46 (King James Bible)