The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Have you seen any cool movies lately??

So I watched Shutter Island based on the recommendations here. And I have two things to say about it.

1. Very, very well-made film and story. As in, one of the most exceptional I've seen in that regard. Masterfully crafted and executed.

2. I found much of the subject matter to be repulsively tasteless and vulgar. Some things in this movie are unspeakably horrific and traumatizing in nature, even just to behold as fiction, and I have never been a fan of that.

I'm not naive in the sense that I think these things don't happen in the real world - but quite the opposite. I know they happen in the real world, and I think that knowledge is traumatic enough without re-creating it in fiction and saturating ourselves with it needlessly.

I don't know why we insist on elevating and parading these despicable and horrific things in our 'art'. I believe the function of art (if it can be said to have one at all) is to transcend the horrors of the real world and to explore what is beautiful and worthwhile about the human experience. A form of atonement or redemption, if you will. And I suppose Shutter Island might do that in a very, very small way at the end. But it's nothing at all to make up for how far it goes in the other direction IMO. I found it depressing as hell.

• Like 2

^^

max richter featuring in the soundtrack in that movie gave it the impact it had, it think. another example of a movie's soundtrack being equally as important as the movie itself,

but after watching the doco room-237 i went back and watched the shining,

holy shit there's so much subversive shit in that movie it's insane,

which i guess is the intention?

:crux:

:devil:

Edited by bot6
  • Like 1

tyrannosaur - one of those movies where the characters have not many redeeming qualities,

and definitely needs subtitles

• Like 1

tyrannosaur - one of those movies where the characters have not many redeeming qualities,

and definitely needs subtitles

Awesome movie!

I saw what was technically a "rom-com" (which admittedly, is not a great start to a recommendation), just out now called "About Time". It certainly wasn't fantastic, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

An older movie I've been meaning to see for ages is "Undefeatable"...but only for this, the cheesiest and most hilarious fight scene I've ever seen:

• Like 2

I saw what was technically a "rom-com" (which admittedly, is not a great start to a recommendation), just out now called "About Time". It certainly wasn't fantastic, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

An older movie I've been meaning to see for ages is "Undefeatable"...but only for this, the cheesiest and most hilarious fight scene I've ever seen:

fight dcenes.lol.fight scenes the flying cock in the back of the neck in the penultimate scene is boomer larfs

• Like 3

I watched The World's End on Friday night, was pretty damn funny - your typical Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie.

Going to watch Pawn Shop Chronicles tonight, seems like it will be pretty good.

Grave of the fireflies.

Heart felt japanese anime. A story of two siblings trying to survive the havoc of ww2.

• Like 3

The Adjustment Bureau was quite interesting.

Took a while to get going, and was a little predicable at times, but over all really worth the watch.

Loosely based on a short story by Philip K Dick. Mostly prompting viewers to consider weather we actually have free will and control over the unfolding of our lives, or if we are simply manipulated as pawns in a grand scheme scripted by unseen forces.

Nice thought-provoking plot.

Cool movie indeed.

post-8023-0-70429600-1387862099_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

"Polar Express" was pretty awesome though I was rather sacked at the time :)

philip k dick!

http://news.moviefone.com/2011/03/04/best-philip-k-dick-movies/

http://movies.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/philip-k-dick-films.htm

i didn't realise his books inspired so many popular movies although i'm not sure if many of them are actually based on his work or if they cover the same themes. its interesting that he took a lot of amphetamine pills but i don't know whether it had much to do with his output.

polar express was pretty good, and so was the last airbender (in my opinion). i mention them together because neither generated enough interest for successive installments to go ahead.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

I've never seen Bladerunner but I did read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", which I'm told is the book Bladerunner was adapted from...to be honest I'm not really sure if that was one of his good books, but I just thought it was sort of weird.

polar express was pretty good, and so was the last airbender (in my opinion). i mention them together because neither generated enough interest for successive installments to go ahead.

oops. i wasn't talking about the polar express. i was talking about the golden compass, which has armoured polar bears!

i enjoyed tron legacy

has a daft punk cameo and daft does all the music/soundtrack

Anyone else see Benny Chan's Shaolin on SBS last night? I really enjoyed it! The obligatory kung fu action is well interspersed throughout a good plot line and some more philosophical moments. Jackie Chan plays the role of old cook who is hesitant to put his fighting skills back into action. Check it out!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1533749/?ref_=vi_tt_t

Edited by ∂an

Dark City

&

Brazil

• Like 1

Don't have the time to read the whole thread but 'Crystal Fairy' With Michael Cera is amazing!, apparently in the scene where he ingested mescaline, he actually did it. Champ!

Second Grave of the fireflies & bad boy bubby. It amazes me how far you can travel just by copying others, definitely a must watch if you can make it through it!

Edited by Cravn
  • Like 1

don't know if its been mentioned but Trailer park boys movies are a crack up. Man of Tai chi also

• Like 3

Horton hears a who

Mr Nobody (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/?ref_=nv_sr_1

In the year 2092, one hundred eighteen year old Nemo is recounting his life story to a reporter. He is less than clear, often times thinking that he is only thirty-four years of age. But his story becomes more confusing after he does focus on the fact of his current real age. He tells of his life at three primary points in his life: at age nine (when his parents divorced), age sixteen and age thirty-four. The confusing aspect of the story is that he tells of alternate life paths, often changing course with the flick of a decision at each of those ages. One life path has him ultimately married to Elise, a depressed woman who never got over the unrequited love she had for a guy named Stefano when she was a teenager and who asked Nemo to swear that when she died he would sprinkle her ashes on Mars. A second life path has him married to Jean. Their life is one of luxury but one also of utter boredom. And a third life path has him in a torrid romance with his step-sister Anna, the two who,...

Samsara

• Like 2