The Corroboree
poo

A little advice re a length of cactus

So I was fortunate enough to be given a length of Pach from a forum member. It's a bit old and dryer than it would like to be, but I'm sure it will come good with a little love. It's about 1m long.

I'm not sure what I'm best to do with it, I mean get in in the ground of course, but should I lay it down just under the soil in the hope it will send pups up? Just sit it on the ground? Chop it up and plant them? I've clearly no idea and would love some advice please!

:blush:

if cutting it to smaller pieces of course let callus but the length of each cut may depend on how fat it is ... i sometimes cut into 10 cm long cuts, but rarely under this length ...but im sure shorter is possible, 15cm to 20cm is a safe bet , you'll get more pups than just planting the whole log...

Cool thanks blowing. I guess if it gets me more pups it's probably better to cut her up then! So once cut up and left to callus, how deep in the soil should I be planting each section? Just under the soil or poking out a little? How frequently should I be watering etc?

Thanks.

Cool thanks blowing. I guess if it gets me more pups it's probably better to cut her up then! So once cut up and left to callus, how deep in the soil should I be planting each section? Just under the soil or poking out a little? How frequently should I be watering etc?

Thanks.

Plant each section deep enough so that it wont fall over. for short (say 30cm) cut's, I usually plant 5-10 cm deep.

I wouldn't cut into sections smaller than 30cm. Big pieces = faster, stronger pupping in my experience. Probably due to the larger photosynthetic area.

I probably wouldn't water at all, just let the rain take care of it until it warms up again.

Maybe consider planting some horizontally, people seem to get good results.

Blend it up.... :devil:

^ In time :wink:

Thanks Alice. OK so any advice where I should be buying/getting decent cactus mix?

wow that forum member must have been a real cool dude. i bet he is so cool. B)

cacti like any old mix. just regular potting mix will do but if you want to spoil them add some vermiculite and perlite to the mix as well as some lime. they love it.

good luck and make sure you post pics when the pups get happening.

wow that forum member must have been a real cool dude. i bet he is so cool. B)

Sounds like the cool forum member that I met also ;)

I wouldn't cut into sections smaller than 30cm

yeah, if you got a meter, cut into 3. That's what I was going to go anyway... 15cm works too, but it's slower...

i found the patio brand cacti & succulent mix good for tricho's as it holds some moisture in the pots over summer

Also found with older woody logs they tend to take a lil longer to root

Edited by mac

And if you do plan on putting any in the ground as I have done, my advise to you is to stake it or at least tell your partner where you have planted it BEFORE they jump on the ride on mower....Death by a thousand cuts...so cruel :(

^ :o

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I decided to cut into 2 in the end and they are drying up a bit. Do they need to callus or just dry on the cut ends? I'm just a bit unsure as to how long I should leave them before they go in the ground because the length was quite dry originally.

Also in terms of watering new cuts going into pots/ground like this, can I get a little advice on frequency please? (Again bearing in mind they're on the dry side if that makes a difference... looks like they need to puff up a bit if that makes sense).

Thanks again!

I got a good length of cacti from that super cool cacti dude too.

such a dream boat!. :wub:

I'm going to chop it up into smaller lengths and let it pup when the weather warms up. (But will put into pots now)

POO - if it doesn't have roots it can't take in any water. so its a bit of a tricky one given this time of year.

if I were you I would let it callous for a few weeks them pot up and keep it out of the rian. a well calloused cuttings can take a bit of water but shouldn't be constantly wet. give it a wiggle every now and then, when it feels anchored, it has roots and can start taking in water.

Edited by watertrade

And if you do plan on putting any in the ground as I have done, my advise to you is to stake it or at least tell your partner where you have planted it BEFORE they jump on the ride on mower....Death by a thousand cuts...so cruel :(

OMG, tell me it isnt so , sorry for your loss..:blink:

If I get any skinny yellow sick looking bits,I lay them in the bark garden on the sunny side if they're longer or upright if shorter and pee on them every couple of days.

This one was yellow and deflated:

post-300-127458836942_thumb.jpg

This was an "Oh what the hell" I'll plant it,treat with ormus and start peeing on it....it was ready to chuck!

She was yellow,soft and as thick as a broom handle:

post-300-127458855461_thumb.jpg

Now,another month after:

post-300-127458866263_thumb.jpg

Never say die!

:lol::lol::lol:

DSC00921.JPG

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

DSC00921.JPG

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

Nice man, might be best for me to get them in dirt soon and let them fend for themselves a little then... it's what they do best after all...

Yep in the wild if a length falls, the Auxins rise to the vertical position,telling the plant which way is up,roots then form from the new "base" and life goes on...don't underestimate the power of urine on them especially at night when they breathe moisture through the skin :wink:

I've still got some unrooted cuttings in foam wine holders sitting vertical (tip from mesc :wink:) no soil,on the south western side of the house and they're pupping...don't kill your cacti with kindness just give them attention and pay attention.

foam wine holders
Now thats a top idea!