The Corroboree
Yawning Man

Essential camping food.

A decent wok can be bought for $10 and is a great universal cooking implement... right on the coals, a burner or camp stove. Can use it as a billy, pan, deep fry, smoker, even as a wok! :)

Haha, canned silkworms. Insanity.

Couldn't find the jaffle iron, but did find some good quality pots and and other heavy duty camping crockery. I'm going to suss out a few outdoor and camping shops next weekend (still gotta pick up my bday present) so will see if i can find a good jaffle iron and a decent wok.

Great suggestions everyone, doubt i'll go hungry next time i'm outdoors :lol:

cheers

I like trying to find foods when i camp like bush tuckers or seafood if near some good water.

I usually cook everything on a stick when i camp, sausages, fish, chops, everything.

Last time we went got alot of mud crabs and got a mullet with my bow and arrow (took about an hr to finally get one)

One of the not so good highlights was this though!!

SP_A0221.jpg

Oops! Salvagable or engine totally flooded? This happened to a mate of mine's hilux when going through a deeper than expected water body. It really sucked! Luckily I didnt have a snorkel so I went around.

Oops! Salvagable or engine totally flooded? This happened to a mate of mine's hilux when going through a deeper than expected water body. It really sucked! Luckily I didnt have a snorkel so I went around.

it got severely flooded and we towed it out, put some spark plugs out and wound it over a jets of water shot out about 20metres into the air and water was pouring out the exhaust, i said "its had it" but we kept playing around with it and after about an hr or so it started to kick and eventually fired up and huge plooms of water flew out the exhaust, we did drive home though, it was pretty funny i was in the passenger side and said that looks a bit deep and the driver said i think its only about 2ft hahah the car actually started floating, was funny as.

after watching the movie AVATAR or MAN vs WILD for example i feel like at least i should attempt 1 night alone in the wilderness.

Yeah lol. Anyone interested in just heading out there to live off the land should watch 'Into The Wild'. It's a true story, really inspirational and probably actually one of my favourite movies of all time.

only one mention of a trangia in the whole thread. There are some great internerd forums on camping/hiking etc with dedicated threads about what the guys all take when they go out. Some of the trangia inspired foods are awesome - trangia pizzas, stews etc. if you are hiking or staying somewhere that you can't keep fresh stuff for long periods of time a food dehydrator is a great investment. You can bring all the stuff you need to keep yourself nice n healthy and just need to add water to bring it back to life.

It really depends on how you are camping I reckon. If you are going by car and aren't walking any kind of distance to your campsite you can afford to invest in a camp oven and a cast iron fry pan and stuff like that which is really heavy but will cook food beautifully and last for ages.

All time favorite camp food is roo tail soup/stew. Man that stuff is amazing! Specially if you have got the roo yourself. Yum.

Yeah was a good film, eddie's sound track is ridiculously complimentary, film then CD in that order i reckon, can bring back the landscape visuals of the film, very well done. But the film is only based on true, not particularly accurate if you do some digging, and even then alot of it are just guesses with things like mental illness suggested.

Meanies i'd be interested in your roo tail recipes if you want to share it, I've been meaning to play with them for a few years, finally have a kilo frozen, i've heard good things about stews/soups with it :)