The Corroboree
incognito

new car advice?

wondering if we have any car-heads here? grease monkeys? i know dreamz was one, ill hafta try and catch him on msn.

for the first time in my life im receiving a pretty decent paycheck, and have decided i want to buy a good car!

ive driven 5th hand shitbox's all my life, which have caused me all kinds of heartache and stress not to mention expense!

i want something thats fuel efficient, has plenty of balls as im sick of struggling up hills in 1st and second gear :wacko:

and is reaLLY, really really really really really really really reliable, and if it looks cool well thats just a bonus (but preferable haha) I do ALOT of k's, probably close to 35000 a year..no joke.

the 2 tow truck drivers i met whilst toeing my shitbox back home from jenolan caves both recommended the mazda 3. the nrma guy said he swears by toyotas.

by the way i have NO mechanical knowledge, ive got an ibuilt filter as soon as someone mentions anything mechanical, however i always maintain the fluids at correct levels, keep the tires pumped up, keep it clean etc im pretty anal about all that.

anyhow ive been checkin out the mazda 3, i dont really like the look of it, and i really dont think it has enough nads for me, i want something quite powerful (i know i know but hey i do have testosterone!)

ive then checked out the Mazda 6 MPS. now this looks and sounds like my kinda car!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mazda6-mps-review.htm

but the website rated it as shite.... man this is confusing? :wacko::wacko:

i will be able to claim part of it as a work vehicle, as i have to drive for fuken miles in my own vehicle to attend compulsoty seminars (absolute jip).

ive looked at wrx's but they are so expensive to get parts for and serviced, nrma dude said to expect to handover 1500 for each service. It would be nice if the price tag was under the 40k mark, but at this point of my life i dont care if its a bit extra. as long as its FUCKING RELIABLE, has plenty of power, drives well and looks sick haha.

now im asking if anyone who has any experience in the car biz can give me any advice, or any sites that give reliable info.

expect a nad massage. oh and anyone that has any info on good toyotas, this nrma guy seemed pretty adamant, and i guess he would know!!! i think im better of gettin somethin new while i can, i pay fuken heaps on breakdowns and parts everyyear for my shitboxes, and the stress and agony just aint worth it anymore.

a car is a necessary evil for me, i at least need a sick one!

many thanks in advance groovers.

at a bit under 30g the toyota corolla conquest looks pretty good.

may have to sacrifice the testosterone and opt for something more practical.

having some balls under the bonnet is still very alluring though...

at a bit under 30g the toyota corolla conquest looks pretty good.

may have to sacrifice the testosterone and opt for something more practical.

having some balls under the bonnet is still very alluring though...

If you can spend 30g get a second hand late 90's/early 2000's 325 or higher powered 3 series. Parts will be more expensive but they are reliable.

If its a 6 cylinder & not a 4X4 your after you should go test drive a couple, drive the Mazda 6 & compare it to a commodore sedan or sport wagon & any other 6 cyl in your price range

The old dunny doors dont cost a arm & a leg for parts or a service & the engines have more than enough grunt & very reliable,

We have pulled heads off of some of the older vn vr vs etc Buick v6s after 300,000+ ks & the bores did not even have a lip or much wear marks etc..

The modern ecoteck & whatever they are calling the new v6 engine are much better on fuel than the older buick V6, they are getting around 10.6 ltrs per 100km on the highway & also do a LPG model sedan

yes still a little heavy on juice compared to some but more than enough power, reliable, & just a safe family car :wink:

holden-ve-commodore-sportwagon1.jpg

Edited by mac

Sorry quick post to try and help> dont have much time :P

I sold cars for 4 years. I have worked for Honda, Suzuki, Hyundai, Ford, Dodge, jeep , Chrysler.

I haven't read your full post but i will when i get back.......

I recommend going with Honda, Hyundai or Toyota.....

When buying honda look at models up to 06 and make sure it is JAP built. Check the VIN and post here and i will tell you where it is built....

anyway gotta jet but i do have some advice for you ;)

EDit > PS- Honda integras DC2 is a heaps more fun sports car then a rex, and heaps cheaper to maintain and run. Insurance etc etc....

In my opion, Honda is the shit.......... VTEC maaaannnnn!!!!

Edited by Slybacon

i am starting to reALLY like the volkswagon jetta. surprisingly cheap!

to be honest guys i really wanna buy a brand newy.

that mazda6 MPS is downright sexy....

looked at the jeep..nah

i want a car.. reliable, fuel efficient and with serious balls.

the jetta comes in a V6 which hillbilly tells me has pltny of grunt.

i really need to do more research, especially on when to trade in a new car on such and such k's and get another new one.

alot of the old boys do that around here and swear by it.

the volkswagon jetta: http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/jetta.html

i never knew cars would be so arousing! time to grow a mullet!

Sorry quick post to try and help> dont have much time :P

I sold cars for 4 years. I have worked for Honda, Suzuki, Hyundai, Ford, Dodge, jeep , Chrysler.

I haven't read your full post but i will when i get back.......

I recommend going with Honda, Hyundai or Toyota.....

When buying honda look at models up to 06 and make sure it is JAP built. Check the VIN and post here and i will tell you where it is built....

anyway gotta jet but i do have some advice for you ;)

EDit > PS- Honda integras DC2 is a heaps more fun sports car then a rex, and heaps cheaper to maintain and run. Insurance etc etc....

In my opion, Honda is the shit.......... VTEC maaaannnnn!!!!

I had a honda integra years ago and it was a great car. I only sold it to get a 4wd. Not only was it economical and quite sporty it also had a really nice interior with cool sport bucket seats. Very comfortable. Only thing about Honda's is they always seem to feel very 'tinny'...like they dont feel solid..if that makes sense??

Please dont buy a mazda 6 untill u have driven a Honda Euro.....

Test drive them all man..... And dont decide on the spot. DONT.

If you dont like the Euro the most in that "style of car" i will be surprised.

okay thanks for the heads up!

as i said before i have..0... knowledge about cars or anything mechanical.

its all kind of exciting though. i will hafta include nrma's advic ein what to get as well, im a premium member and they are always saving my ass.

fuck it im gonna ring up and book a test drive this weekend! theres a volkswagon dealership in orange i just found out.

that back v6 jetta is really doin it for me at the moment.. pimp it out mad with a wicked sound system :drool2::drool2:

2010_Jetta_Black.jpg

the mazda 6 MPS now THATS sexy!

mazda-6-mps-3.jpg

these are the 2 im liking right now. dick says mazda, head says volkswagon!

Ive got a 09 Corolla. Nice, not heaps of balls but you can rev the ring outta it, still a quick little car (actually not that small with surprising amount of cabin space), and handles really well. Would be a good option. I also looked at the Mazda 3, but didnt like the new nose on it, it looks like a huge bloody smiley face!!

Pic of my rolla.... done plenty of work to it so far...

workslammedsig.jpg

Im also one for the Honda Accord Euro, slick, bloody neat car, with a neater interior than the Corolla. The softness of the plastic in the interior of the Corolla is the only thing im not happy with... nothing a bit of leather or alcantra cant fix tho.

Mazda 6 MPS is also killer. But is that around 40k?

You could also look at the Mazda 3 MPS

- i just cant get over how sh*t the front end looks tho... why oh why did they ruin such nice styling with that front end??

Oh, and if you get a black car, expect to be cleaning it twice a week with monthly polishing and 2-3 monthly clay bar work to keep it schmick. LOTS of work.

Edited by BlackDragon

Mazda 6 MPS is also killer. But is that around 40k

yeah BD ur looking at around 40k. but man isnt it just killer sexy??? would lose value quick as well as Hillbilly pointed out to me. but yeah it really does it for me. I can claim part as work vehicle on tax. Ive had a new homeloan approved, and ive worked it in that i have 40g left over to buy myself a good new car. Ive never had a good car in my 32 years on this earth, and what ive been through to get where i am i say fuck it!! no more struggling up hills, no more breakin down fuck it!!

i agree with u on the mazda 3, its just plain ugly. i dont like the look of the euro either sad to say. I do LOVE the look of the mazda 6, and the volkswagon jetta. I dont like hatchbacks, never have, so unfortnately thats not an option,

But like was said earlier, im gonna go test drive the fuck out of alot of cars till i find one that i like.

hopefully will get to drive the jetta this weekend, then ill have a look at the mazda 6.

i know blacks an asspain, but they look sexy nice and polished.

problem out here is that i drive through mobs of roos (sometimes literally) to get to work, and i will be fearful of writing my sexy thang off, so i guess ill insure it to the max from the onset.

cant wait to drive the mazda 6, might take it to the top of nangar mountain!!

keep up the recommendations guys, im kinda afraid im gonna become a full car nerd!! but damn this is fun!

http://euro.honda.com.au/

Can I just point out that all of the cars on the Honda Euro website have 5 triangles/pyramids on each wheel.

Just saying is all...

Edited by madhouses visites

Seriously make the most of test drives..... The Motor trade is fucked, use those people , play them against each other, drive them all and flog them, make sure you really like the car and thumb screw the fuck out of the sales man. Get what you want and dont be a pussy and just haggle like hell. Sounds fucked but the motor trade is a shark filled buisiness....

Edit . re honda symbolism..... your probably dead right :)

Edited by Slybacon

slybacon, when i do end up deciding to buy, would u be keen to come and formulate some mode of attack? would be happy to pay ur travel expense and load u up on cacti? u seem to know ur shit.

You dont need to do that..... Just tell me what car you have decided on and i will get my friend to look up the cost price and what deals are on......

You need to make sure of a few things......

1st Date of build and comp.... , if your gonna go to the trouble of buying new make sure you ensure you are getting the latest. Some cars sit in the yards for months losing value when you could get a brand new one still on the boat by shopping around opr sticky ur ground.....

Dont tell them your not going to buy today. Act as keen as you can but always know your going to walk away and think about it no matter what......

Right here right now deals are never that and you can always get the same deal tomorrow or somewhere else....

The only way a dealership gets it any cheaper is if they buy a fuckload, so sometimes you can get a good deal off the floor.....

Just tell me what you decide on and i will get a price.... I cant help with Subaru or Mazda with cost prices but i can maybe give you some advice.....

Look at late model second hand cars on the private market as well. Some very very good deals there. I personally would rather the top of the line second hand car for say 25 to 30 then a a new car thats not as good and will drop a heap of value when you drive it off the floor. Owning new is nice but look at second hand as well. I sold My grandma a 2006 last of the JAP model hondas CRV with only 6000 K on it. Was a steal. The previous owner buys a new car every year no matter what..... so yeah used can be a really good way to go when you spennd over 20K sometimes the warranties are still factory so its like new but WAY cheaper...

Edit 6000 not 60.....

Edited by Slybacon

I agree with Sly on the hit em hard approach. I pushed for 5k less than what they wanted, ended up getting it for 3.5 almost 4k cheaper. Play the game, and play it hard. Its not in my nature to bargain, but screw em, they are making plenty on each car. Its a good quick way to learn your limits :)

cool, my bro in law is an ex used car dealer, but im not relying on his advice, as each car hes sold me has been a fuken horror show!

thanks for the help and advice sly and BD, sly i certainly will be calling on your help in the near future!

just out of interest sly , whats ur opinion on the jetta?

volkswagons are notoriously safe yeah?

^^^^ I like the VW's.... They are a fucking nice car to drive. It cracks too!!!!.... Maybe services are expensive, i dont know. I do have a friend that works for them that would be happy to tell me the cost price of them.....

As for them comment above on profit on new cars being huge, you would be surprised..... You really need to get them when the manufacturers offer the dealers bonuses cause other wise there isn't much profit, thats why they drive hard. Most of the profit comes from after sales.... in the new market anyway...... To be honest the average profit for the dealer per car (just on the car ) is 2000 to 3000 Full retail price. Many dealers will go below this when the factory offers them rebates and bonuses... more on this later....

so the jetta has some nads?

if u could get me the cost price on the jetta id be stoked.

i feel id be able to haggle a bit with the country dealer here that sells vw's and bmw's.

they dont sell very many, or appear to, there was heresay that they where going to close down.

need to find an nrma report on the jetta.

Edited by incognito

I pushed really hard for that deal, your right, they dont make too much, but usually the 10% rule applies, less 10% and thats what you should get it for, leads be to believe the make around 20% on markup or around that. Each car is differnt tho, depending on imports, new models coming, stock on hand or facelift models on the way etc etc The more expensive the car, the more you can haggle, ie new landcruiser, youve got almost 10k to play on. They will do the ol "i have to check with my manager" garb, let em play, tell them youll buy today like Sly said. Sounds like Sly is on the ball for sure! :)

My mate has a jetta and loves the thing. He got the turbo model. Nothin but praise.

One other thing is let the sales bloke know ya buying & not tyre kicking, looking for the best price he or another dealer can give you,

If he doesn't budge on the ticket price or throw in some extras then he doesn't deserve your hard earned cash no matter what you buy

& a link for research ANCAP Info

Edited by mac

My mate has a jetta and loves the thing. He got the turbo model. Nothin but praise

im certainly leaning that way. I hope they have a turbo V6 there to testdrive.