The Corroboree
incognito

new car advice?

Second hand pegeuot 206 , 2005+ model, ~6-7K euros. Pretty, practical, reliable, spare parts easy to find [at least around here]

that would be 10000~12000 in oz. Why spend a fortune in a car?

I used to have a pegeuot 106 1100 before that. Very reliable too.

yeah late model second hand is MUCH MORE PROFITABLE. With a new one you loose lots of money. The best deal is a second hand driven by a lady.

Why spend a fortune in a car?

basically cos im through with used cars.

that and i want a new car. like shiny new.

check out Slybackons point. Buying a new second hand, like 3-4 years old in good condition, preferably from a lady driver is really saving you lots of money plus it can be like new one [especially if it was used by a lady]

but yeah, sometimes you got to do your thing, because you simply want to do it :) I think ladies get this with shopping more than men :)

Honestly for reliability you simply cannot go past Toyota's, they may not be cool n all but they are sooooo reliable it's unbelievable, I've had Toyota's all my life until now and I miss em dearly, my last was a Hilux ute dual cab 4x4 diesel with hard canopy, that was my baby until my first partner made me sell it and trade down to a camry for the city.

Mazda's would be next

and the car mac shows in his post on first page is actually a very very well designed and quality vehicle for a Holden, I'm actually trying desperately to come up with the money to buy one of those...they are a bit of everything...I love station wagons.

Get yourself a used BMW if available in Australia. Best Cars in germany. Closely followed from AUDI and VW. Dont ever buy a new Car. The decrease of value during the first year is insane. bye Eg

VW on Carsales.com

I'll give my friend a buzz today or monday and get him to look them up on the system for you. You might find with your country dealer he is too broke to lose money on a deal so you should phone shop it once you got your price......

Have fun test driving :) Take your time and be happy with your decision. If your after new sounds like you want to keep it as your own for a long time and you dont car how much it depreciates.....

Honestly you guys should be on Top Gear LOL

The best cars I've had have been Toyota's by far,followed by Nissan....Mitsu's well..

I know you're after a cool ballsy new car but...

My pick is still and I'm up to number 4:

post-300-127329021468_thumb.jpg

This was $1000 and goes like a dream,it was an ex-pursuit with the Super Responsive engine 2.4i.

could say I'm a Toyota fan,they just go,easy to fix and get parts for and the heaters kick arse lol!

post-300-127329039257_thumb.jpg

The red got a heart transplant from 2.0L to 1.8 twin cam turbo,yet to be re-registered.

post-300-127329044037_thumb.jpg

This be the SR engine in the white '85:

post-300-127329048506_thumb.jpg

Extremely responsive and excellent on fuel and leaves Merc's and BMW's for dead :rolleyes:

Why you not talk to me anymore jono :(

DSC00913.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

DSC00913.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

all i can say is that i am now officially in love with the jetta. far out. smooooth.

heya mesc we should catch up soon, im back over your way. and man can car salesman talk! jebus! next time im taking a tazer!

No worries,she looks a sweet ride man!

Next time take me,I love dicking car salesman around with questions they can't answer and get them all frustrated "umm not sure,I'll ask the boss" hehe we used to do it on weekends in the ACT just for kicks...and to take the rotary's and WRX's for a blat :rolleyes:.....ya just gotta make them think you're buying someting from someone THAT DAY and HAVE CASH :wink:

When the bub arrives I'll bring the Celica over for a run and we'll go for a leisurely drive through that huge winding hill climb he he :devil:

Nah definitely be seeing you soon man....nice choice B)

I've got a 5month old VW Golf GTI which is basically the hatchback turbo version of the Jetta. If you want good tank mileage and something kinda green but still with oomph you should look at the Jetta TDI which is the turbo diesel. Not quite sure how exxy they are though. My car was an upgrade from the previous model same car so I'm pretty damn happy with the quality of the VWs and the services aren't too bad but defo more than your average Holden, Toyota etc. Car before that was a Subaru Liberty which are also great cars but the Subes are expensive services, one year was over $700! When I looked at my first GTI in 2006 I also looked at the WRX but found they're a bit lacking in comfort (especially compared to the VWs), BMW 1 series which was just rediculously expensive for what it was, comparison for features I'd have to have spent around $12,000 more than the GTI! and the Audi A3 (same chassis/underpinnings as the GTI) was $7000 more for basically the same car with a more boring grandma grey interior and different badge on the front. Screw that, besides the GTIs were voted best car of the year for a few different things. This year's Car Of The Year went to the new Golf which if you're looking at the Jetta is pretty much same thing, just sedan rather than hatch.

But like the others said, Toyotas, Hondas, have good quality in general, though Toyotas (and especially Holdens) compared to VWs feel kind of plasticky. A friend of mine bought a new Corolla a few months ago and she got a great service deal and it's a neat little car, with a decent amount of oomph, especially if you're coming off a bomb. Although if you're coming off a POS most new cars no matter how stodge are probably going to feel faster and sturdier. Don't go for a Holden Astra as they're apparently a bitch to service so cost a bomb. Plus they're kinda crap anyway. I'd never ever buy a Ford though but that's just me.

Test driving and research are totally key though.

Go VWs! :D

thanks for your input Pance!!

took the jetta v6 turbo for a spin yesterday, i was more than impressed!

ive never ever ever driven a new car before, and man!!!

my bro in law is trying to convince me not to buy brand new, kinda highlighting things Mutant has said.

hes of a mind to try and buy last years model, with under 20000 k's. that way i will be saving 15-20g.

i do have the money to buy, but i have to keep reminding myself that it IS alot of money.

money doesnt mean much to me, its easy come easy go, but thats something i really have to reveiew in my own behaviour.

sensible has never been my modus opererandi! out of that doe i could mod my house up abit or get a really good hothouse and greenhouse. If it where up to me i would have bought that jetta yestrerday, but my bro-in law was with me and recommended i give it a chill period.

I wanna give the mazda 6 a go but its another 10g above the jetta.

if u get a chance take a jetta for a test drive. was so much better than sex, seriously!

if anyone sees a second hand jetta (v6 turbo preferably) with under say 30k's please let me know!

www.redbook.com.au is a great website to see valuations for new and second hand cars. Also gives decent trade in prices ranges.

I just decided to get me a new car too. As soon as my BMW omes out of the garage, i´ll be looking for a buyer. The car tax and the insurance for that car is just too expensive. Atm i pay like 800 $ a year for the tax and 2000 a year for the insurance.

Fancy, i think you really convinced me to buy me a nice small VW Golf or Polo for the money i get. I hope that i get a good one for 4000 Dollar. bye Eg

:worship: the powers of the Pance are NOT to be underestimated! :worship:

wow i feel as though ive learnt a bunch about cars just reading through this thread!

im about to buy my first car HOORAY! :rolleyes:

im looking at either

a toyota camry or honda integra!

cant decide, integra is more aesthetically pleasing, and probably funner to drive, but the toyota has such impecable prestige and rep.

OH BTW!!!!

if anyone in VIC has a 2nd hand car that isnt a piece of trash, that they want to sell PM ME!!!!

budget being between 4-6k

I want a new car = i accept that im gonna lose 2k value when i drive out of the showroom

i want reliability = i want a japanese car

i want good fuel economy = i want a small 4 cylinder car

Toyota is an advantage in that they have outlets all over the country. Easier to get a toyota fanbelt in woop woop than a mazda one.

if you are buying new, know that car yards and salesmen are judged on their monthly performance so they are always more hungry for business, ie will do better deals, at the end of the month to get their sales numbers up. The higher the number of sales, the better the manufacturer treats them.

I got a new car for virtually cost this way in the '90's from a dealer that was desperate for sales. You can tell when you are getting close to their bottom price when the salesman stops smiling ;)

The mitzi lancer with the 118kw engine would be the fastest option i believe. The corolla is only 100kw which would still get along ok. the mazda 3 diesel would have the acceleration of the mitzi but you would get to EGA in the same amount of time coz u wouldnt need to stop for fuel.

Consider what u want from the car, write it down in order of importance. go test drive some cars. DO NOT impulse buy. ideally, get a few dealers competing for ur business and play em off against each other. call me for a chat anytime.

Edited by Legba

im considering selling my subaru forrestor (01 limited)

180,000 , insured for 13.5k , rego dec, sell for 11230. (will consider trade to bring it to 10)

I bought it off my younger bro, and have since replaced the uni joint, done the wheel bearings, replaced all break pads, regular service, power steering belt, e.t.c

It has minor aesthetics damage due to some close encounters with lantana, and some bumper scuffs from lending it to my housemate.

I have never driven a car that handles so well, and feels so safe on all types of roads.

I am selling as i want to buy a more robust vehicle for a bit of a 2012 project (i.e large fuel capacity, either dual fuel or diesel, capable of sleeping in it/living out of it)

I would consider trading for something that fits that description too.

let me know if that works

e