The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

Blue Candle (Myrtillocactus Geometrizans)

Blue Candle is Active

Cacti - M. geometrizans

by Anonymous

DOSE: repeated Cacti - M. geometrizans

I first read about mescaline containing cacti other than Peyote in Plants of the Gods, a book by Richard Schultes, Albert Hoffman, and Christian Rätsch. I had been afraid to try mescaline for years due to horror stories of its effects. While LSD and shrooms seemed safe, for some reason mescaline had been described to me as totally unreasonable, a sure ticket to the loony bin! Years later I became interested and started learning about cactus from books and the internet. Though I spent a lot of time reading about cacti and looking at pictures, when I finally went to the garden center to find San Pedro, I accidently misidentified Blue Candle (Myrtillocactus Geometrizans) as San Pedro (Trichocereus Pachanoi).

I brought my new cactus home, a cute 4in high baby Blue Candle cactus. I was delighted when, before heading over to a friends house to hang out, I tasted some of the cactus juice (I just cut the side of it to taste) and felt an immediate rush of euphoria (it felt like e, or something similar). That night I hung out with a few friends, was very talkative, and felt good. I felt like I was rolling a little but I didn't mention that I had taken anything and I later told my friend and she said she hadn't noticed any difference. This was years ago, and I would not be in a situation like that now.. reading this, it sounds strange, that I would hang out with friends and not tell them what I was up to, but like I said, I was younger. The reason that I mention this is that this is a theme with my mescaline (cactus) use, feeling like I'm totally rolling, but being 'cool' (as in, I was rolling so hard I lost my 'cool') enough to appear sober (not always, but frequently) or whatever. After that night I went on to find this cactus at the local garden centers, including a hardware store (many times), and once from the grocery store.

Like I said before, the cactus I was actually finding was Blue Candle, but the whole time I thought I was getting San Pedro. So, by some fluke of nature, I was getting a cactus that was not San Pedro, but did contain mescaline. After a while I figured out that I did not have San Pedro, and assumed that the chemical I was tripping off of was some unknown alkaloid. I shared the cactus with many people, all of which found the cactus to be mild and pleasant. One of the weird things about this cactus is the contradictions that seem to arise from describing its effects. For example, the cactus feels totally mild, and totally intense at the same time... or... feeling totally sober, but also tripping hard at the same time.

I eventually found out that the cactus I had was Blue Candle (for sure), and was surprised that there was not much on the internet about it. It shows up in the Visionary Cactus Guide and in Tihkal, which has a guide to chemicals and the cacti that contain them in the back. From my experience, Blue Candle cactus is indeed active!

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=81881

t s t .

I wonder how true this is? I seems odd that no one would have discovered that Mytillocactus has an active species before now (or 2008 as it were).

has only just been added at erowid this month.

i'm not sure of the id of the active as tmeopea but it suggests some activity....

t s t .

Yes, but the year of the experience(s) is given as 2008.

am i reading it right that the claim is that a lick of the flesh produced these effects?

Are we reading it right that the claim is that a lick of the flesh produced these effects? Just a slice, and a lick, really potent lol, Placebo effect for sure - all in his mind.

....... Just a slice, and a lick, really potent lol, Placebo effect for sure - all in his mind.

Couldn't have said better...

whisperz,...

yeah one lick and had instant effects! highly doubt it! wishful tripping

Like I said before, the cactus I was actually finding was Blue Candle, but the whole time I thought I was getting San Pedro. So, by some fluke of nature, I was getting a cactus that was not San Pedro, but did contain mescaline. After a while I figured out that I did not have San Pedro, and assumed that the chemical I was tripping off of was some unknown alkaloid. I shared the cactus with many people, all of which found the cactus to be mild and pleasant. One of the weird things about this cactus is the contradictions that seem to arise from describing its effects. For example, the cactus feels totally mild, and totally intense at the same time... or... feeling totally sober, but also tripping hard at the same time.

this seems to indicate he and others has had it a number of times with results consistent enough to be defined.

t s t .

what,none of you have ever felt anything ,usually mild stimulation from just tasting cactii.

i assume he first tried it 2 years ago and has been gradually retesting till earlier this year when he sent it to erowid.

thought this worth posting as little is know but will refrain in future if the consensus is that it is of no value.....

Blue Candle is Active

Cacti - M. geometrizans

by Anonymous

DOSE: repeated Cacti - M. geometrizans

I first read about mescaline containing cacti other than Peyote in Plants of the Gods, a book by Richard Schultes, Albert Hoffman, and Christian Rätsch. I had been afraid to try mescaline for years due to horror stories of its effects. While LSD and shrooms seemed safe, for some reason mescaline had been described to me as totally unreasonable, a sure ticket to the loony bin!

I brought my new cactus home, a cute 4in high baby Blue Candle cactus. I was delighted when, before heading over to a friends house to hang out, I tasted some of the cactus juice (I just cut the side of it to taste) and felt an immediate rush of euphoria (it felt like e, or something similar).

t s t .

This is bogus reporting tst surely....sounds like a troll has posted on erowid for fun or something....where are the references for the horror stories of mescaline's effects....?

plus who the hell use's the term "unreasonable" to describe a psychedelic.....people are unreasonable but not psychedelics.....guy's a nut job or troll IMO.

and no I don't know anyone who has ever felt effects from licking a wound on a cactus. Sounds like someone trying desperately to be noticed for a discovery to elevate themselves up the ladder or something, but it reeks of immaturity and vanity.

something ain't right here that's fur sure.huh.gif

Edited by Chiral

I don't think it's of no value, but I think we should keep in mind that not all reports are to be believed and that even if it is true, it should still be critically analysed. It is, in the very least, quite interesting.

Edit: there is an entry on it in Snu's book, but it doesn't say a great deal. It does say that tests have been done, with mixed results, so seems pretty inconclusive.

Edited by tripsis

i think the guy is just young and uninformed.he does not have the cultural advantage of being a saber!

oh well, i am pleased to have come across this!and obviously unlike most of you feel i have more to go by than i did before.

consensus acknowledged.in future i will keep similar things to myself.....

t s t .

Tst, I find your posts are some of the best around all the forums I hang around. Even if sometimes you seem to be too laconic [too few words] for my liking, this also has it's pros.

On topic.

I too felt this might well be a placebo, but this sure deserves not only a mention, but also a talk.

Thing is he doesn't state how much he took or was taking and he doesn't state if he ever tried the real deal, that is a real san pedro.

Thing is some people are really sensitive and/or prone to self-suggestion.

Thing is M.geometrizans does have mescaline, only has little, as I remember.

Thing is small doses of mescaline seem to be pretty active and noticeble, judging from knowledgable people over the net

Thing is those two could produce a trip , half self-suggestion, half a little dose of cactus alkaloids incl some mesc ?

In any case, I am cultivating lots of myrtis [partly because they are so lovely cacti, partly to build graft stock, so I suppose my instict knew this all along.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: Chiral

where are the references for the horror stories of mescaline's effects....?

sounds like a very familiar myth to me. didn't psychs teach you you are not the center of the world yet?

something ain't right here that's fur sure.

yep, that's you. Extreme hardheads have no place in discussing minor psychs, mild highs, low doses etc

Edited by mutant

shut up mutant.

• Like 1

Tst - Hey no one is paying out on you, just the trip report sounds like a fourteen yr olds trying to boost his cred with his mates, I personally have never had any effect from licking cacti wounds, I chew the offcuts from grafting [trichs] just to accept the bitterness but no effect from it, the amount involved from just licking a cut would be finitely small and I doubt effect would be felt by anyone. The consensus you feel is unintended, the comments made by every one were in ref to anonymous . I think it is good to post dubious reports, I am sure someone has tried to trip with Mytillocactus, I have not, but, I have chewed the cutoffs from grafting with nil effect. The flavor is fairly drab, I did not have the bitter response I sometimes feel with Trich's.

Please don't be offended by anyones response..

i think the guy is just young and uninformed.he does not have the cultural advantage of being a saber!

oh well, i am pleased to have come across this!and obviously unlike most of you feel i have more to go by than i did before.

consensus acknowledged.in future i will keep similar things to myself.....

t s t .

Please don't ever stop sharing your experiences! For every twenty-odd interesting and informative posts of yours regarding ethnos/entheos, or spirituality etc at least I myself only respond once. So I'm saying there's got to be more than just me who very much value your input we just don't show our appreciation.

This guy might well have just been feeling placebo effects, but he could also just be abnormally sensitive like yourself? From the way the report is written I'm personally more inclined to think placebo but since I've never tasted this cactus myself I sure as shit can't say either way.

errrr.... plus he says the cactus is 4inches tall.....that right there raises alarm bells does it not.

Its seems to be quite closed minded to dis-credit without any further investigation or knowledge..

Im gunna buy a couple blue candles!

Edited by Hillbilly farm boy

i recall a slice of loph less than the size of a 5 cent piece.

it was over 20yrs old so the 5 people there all wanted to test its bitterness.

extreme!in fact 2 people got slight alterations of consciousness from 1/5 of that piece.

my belief is that this was due to other alkaloids rather than tmeopea.

some people are this sensitive but it doesnt mean they are wrong.

a 4 inch plant but maybe a cut from a huge 50year old plant.

and actives could be triterpenes rather than alkaloids.

you lot dont want to believe?lol.

t s t .

tst please dont stop sharing its just your on another level way above most of these guys

yes iv had light affects off just licking a cactus yes ive had affects off just holding a cactus i think its more to do with your connection to the plant spirit not just a typical alkaloid analysis only a plant shaman has this connection

the alkaloids in the mytillocactus may not be mescaline

i was particularly interested in this post as ive just started a nice myrtillocactus collection ;)

thanks for sharing ;)

In future i will keep similar things to myself.....

t s t .

you better not....tap.gif

Honestly Tst people around here love your work and would hate to see you move into the shadows, just that you seem extra sensitive to most things than most but that's not your problem but ours....perhaps you have opened those chakras so well as to be available much more readily to the spirits, more power to you I say, but don't be goin off anywhere as you are way to valuable to this community and we all love you, your research and postings.

Ive felt energy changes from chewing a 1cm cube of trich but its the same as eating a piece of fruit/food and feeling the changes in your energy flow.

For me its a long way from a 'rolling' feeling.

I think the critique of it was fair as there are a lot of extremely poor quality posts on erowid. This does not mean that its nothing to be looked into but rather something to not be blindly taken as truth.

I would be interesting to know how he ID'ed it. If he originally thought it was a pach.

Edited by GingaNinja

Please keep sharing tst. I'm always interested in what you have to say, you are on the cutting edge of plant research in my opinion, you are one of the few here that contributes constantly with new content. You should never feel that your input is not appreciated.

I think it's incredible how you are so super-sensitive dose wise to so many things. But I also accept that I and I'd bet the vast majority here would never be so lucky. That doesn't mean that we're not interested.

interesting. though i have licked and eaten M. geometrizans on numerous occasion and got nothing. though i wasnt looking to get anything either so i didn't have the placebo effect...

something ain't right here that's fur sure.
yep, that's you. Extreme hardheads have no place in discussing minor psychs, mild highs, low doses etc
shut up mutant.

Interesting point, especially for a moderator

Mescaline has been found in M.geometrizans

http://www.napralert.org/NapralertReport_Mescalineoccurrences.pdf

Edited by mutant