The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spikey

Ephedra Campylopoda

has any one heard of this species

got any info on it

i would be greatful for anything...

spike

It appears to be a species from the western mediteranean area, incl Bulgaria and Turkey from what i can make out.

You may have more luck searching for info on Ephedra fragilis, as campylopoda was long listed as a subspecies of fragilis.

E.campylopoda is now known as E.foemina and alkaloid content is disputed. Given the high variability of alkaloid content and profile within each species it appears most of this research is quite useless and should only be used as a guide.

I have chewed E.fragilis grown in australia and got mild stimulation from it. I only sampled a tiny amount, so this statement should indicate the presence of alkaloids, but not the potency.

Ephedrine alkaloids are absent from most species in the group Fragilis (tribe Scandentes of Stapf [1896]; see Price, 1996 ) of Eurasian species. Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine were not detected in E. foemina (syn E. campylopoda) and E. altissima, despite claims to the contrary (Kawatani et al., 1959 , other references in O'Dowd et al., 1998 ).

• Like 1

Just got some  Ephedra foeminea seed from greek plants. 

nice to see  Ephedra foeminea = campylopoda 

I found a 2015 paper stating  no E and PE were found 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594322/

which was a disappointment really, as I have many seeds.. 

I suppose I will give them a try anyways. There are also a couple twigs inbetween the fruits...

I wonder..... :P

any experience or opinions are greatly welcomed

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 3

No piccies of the source mate?:)

Just learnt about "pollination drops". hmmm.....maybe need to lick the drops:wink:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/31/shrub-attract-pollinators-by-glittering-under-the-full-moon/

EDIT - the more I think about it...lol...lick the the drops:lol: and take piccies

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

Hello! 

I would be very lucky to have such plants in me area. But its another friend from another region that keeps finding awesome rare plants in archeological sites around athens, the capital - yeah thats right we greeks are amazing in destroying flora and environment in general, so the protected archeological sites seems to carry a floral trasure. 

the rare in greece Peganum harmala was recently found growing in such a site

But here are two pics the dude that found it took 

12985603_1097620386969281_50160834310489print screen windows xp 

12963875_1097620340302619_10302754667791

and two of my pics  - twing ~ fruits& seed 

P1150663.jpg

P1150665.jpg

I chewed 0,38 gr of twigs yesterday prior to going to the pool. I suppose its a tiny-small amount, didnt yet do the maths, but please help if you are in any way experienced. 

The juice was bitter at first but with a pleasant tea-like taste. Mild stimulation was noticed as well as some-little teeth clenching and extra endurance during swimming.. Could it be a placebo? not likely could it be another alkaloid apart from E and PE ? sure. 

Well I havent really used this class without alcohol and definately not a lot of times ( I think I did ephedrine 3 or 4 times when it still was legal or semi-legal for these pure-ephedrine pills to circulate in the gym scene in my country) .  

Wish I could do a larger bioessay - by the way, which would be the best season to pick materials? 

PS: I am more than happy to send some of the seeds to people. PM me.. I can make a couple of packs but I will prefer to send to people that tell me they intend and will spread the seed further on. 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 2

Thank you mate:wink:

EDIT - reading back again I note T's post on fragilis, I too have in the past come across

what was named as E.fragilis that tickled a little bit.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

its cool to have seen or grown of any species really at this point from my perspective  ... 

I know they are stubborn, I got one plantlet e.sinica in the past, from seed and all,  but then during summer it  was difficult.. dunno I didnt pampered it enough I guess  . how many years ago??   

and how many acacia seeedlings have I lost.... hehm ... 

them being relatives to cone -trees (sorry dunno the term) is awesome.... need to grow some of it at least!