The Corroboree
FungalFractoids

Good eating

So wat's good eating in Melbourne? I'm really keen to do some earthy wild mushroom risottos over the next few weeks. I've been told slippery jacks are good, what else should one look out for this time of year, other than common field mushrooms? (photos appreciated)

The easiest to recognise would probably be Saffron Milkcaps (Lactarius deliciosus). I had a feed of them (with olive oil, garlic, parsley and cream) on crusty bread for brekky. Orgasmic.

FYI, I just collated the following lists from 'Mushroom' by Johnny Acton & Nick Sandler. This is a book from the UK, so some may not apply, however I can confirm the agaricus, lactarius and also (not included) is of course Suillus granulatus (ringless Slippery Jack). Got a box of Slipperies in the fridge and am yet to try them. I can also confirm the death cap in Oz - I've come across quite a few of these this year (first season to id them).

Edibles of Autumn:

- Agaricus campestris (field mushroom)

- Amanita caesarea (Caesar's mushroom)

- Armillaria mellea (honey fungus)

- Boletus edulis (cep, porchini, penny bun)

- Cantharellus cibarius (chanterelle)

- Coprinus comatus (shaggy ink cap)

- Craterellus comucopioides (horn of plenty)

- Hydnum repandum (hedgehog fungus)

- Lactarius deliciosus (saffies)

- Lepista nuda (wood blewit)

- Macrolepiota procera (parasol mushroom)

- Sparassis crispa (cauliflower fungus)

DEADLY Poisonous mushrooms of Autumn:

- Amanita phalloides (death cap)

- Amanita virosa (destroying angel)

The easiest to recognise would probably be Saffron Milkcaps (Lactarius deliciosus). I had a feed of them (with olive oil, garlic, parsley and cream) on crusty bread for brekky. Orgasmic.

FYI, I just collated the following lists from 'Mushroom' by Johnny Acton & Nick Sandler. This is a book from the UK, so some may not apply, however I can confirm the agaricus, lactarius and also (not included) is of course Suillus granulatus (ringless Slippery Jack). Got a box of Slipperies in the fridge and am yet to try them. I can also confirm the death cap in Oz - I've come across quite a few of these this year (first season to id them).

Edibles of Autumn:

- Agaricus campestris (field mushroom)

- Amanita caesarea (Caesar's mushroom)

- Armillaria mellea (honey fungus)

- Boletus edulis (cep, porchini, penny bun)

- Cantharellus cibarius (chanterelle)

- Coprinus comatus (shaggy ink cap)

- Craterellus comucopioides (horn of plenty)

- Hydnum repandum (hedgehog fungus)

- Lactarius deliciosus (saffies)

- Lepista nuda (wood blewit)

- Macrolepiota procera (parasol mushroom)

- Sparassis crispa (cauliflower fungus)

DEADLY Poisonous mushrooms of Autumn:

- Amanita phalloides (death cap)

- Amanita virosa (destroying angel)

12 to 2, the odds are in my favour :D

I found a flush of what I'm pretty sure are field mushrooms on my nature strip, though a couple had a faint yellow tinge on the stems that made me cautious. If I post photo's here do you reckon you could give me a yae or nae?

A good pic & spore print im sure someone would know

im sure i know of the yellow stainer you mean, starts off with white / pinkish white gills not attached to stem, has a thick visible veil ring ? they then turn dark & have a dark print (include good pic, size & good description someone will id it)

Plenty of shaggys here in the local park funnily enough usually under 1 gum tree in grass on hard compacted ground

A good pic & spore print im sure someone would know

im sure i know of the yellow stainer you mean, starts off with white / pinkish white gills not attached to stem, has a thick visible veil ring ? they then turn dark & have a dark print (include good pic, size & good description someone will id it)

Plenty of shaggys here in the local park funnily enough usually under 1 gum tree in grass on hard compacted ground

That's bang on what I'm talking about. Forgot about prints, will go and put them over paper now. Can't post a pic atm cos the driver for my SD card reader doesn't work, will have to sort it tomorrow but by then the spore prints will be ready. Thanks.

Are shaggys the ink caps? i had no idea that they're edible. Ae they nice? They don't look nice, lol.

If it looks like Agaricus campestris but stains yellow, then it's probably Agaricus xanthodermis. AFAIK, it's not poisonous to everyone, and even then only causes an upset stomach. But it has a strong medicinal odour that is offputting to most people. It smells like detol.

Edited by ballzac

If it looks like Agaricus campestris but stains yellow, then it's probably Agaricus xanthodermis. AFAIK, it's not poisonous to everyone, and even then only causes an upset stomach. But it has a strong medicinal odour that is offputting to most people. It smells like detol.

Doesn't stain bright yellow. More of a bronze tinge in places, might not even be bruising. Certainly no odour other than an earthy fungal odour that you get from field mushrooms. So far the spores are looking black but not many have dropped yet. I'll have to get my card reader working so I can post a pic.

Actually, I cut a couple lengthways and on the inside there is a distinct orangey-yellow colour at the base of the stem. I'm starting to become confident that they aren't campestris, will probably throw them away.

Edited by FungalFractoids

Once i picked some yellow-stainers that didn't really have much yellow happening on them , as soon as they hit the fry-pan though that iodiney-dettol smell was overwelming and they got turfed..

Agaricus spp. except the yellow-stainer , Coprinus comatus, Lactarius deliciosus, Lepista nuda are all superb.

I've eaten a lot of Macrolepiota rhacodes (Chlorophyllum brunneum)and M. procera (/ M. clelandii) , they're good but apparently there are some dangerous Lepiota's out there.

****EDIT - see post #15 below for a case of poisoning from C.brunneum / "M.rhacodes" - some people will get violently sick!! ****

Marasmius oreades is okay but wouldn't go out of my way for it, likewise Xerula australis/Oudimansiella radicata.

Volvariella speciosa is.. okay but could be confused with the deadly Amanita phalloides.

Suillus luteus and S. granulatus have been pretty forgettable in my experience. Except that time they gave me a serious case of the shits.

Have heard of people eating Fistulina hepatica, the beefsteak fungus.

Still keen to try Craterellus cornucopioides the horn of plenty , and Cantharellus cibarius or whatever the aussie chantarelle is called..

Edited by ferret

so glad we've had some rain down south..

i highly recommend everybody to try grilling your milkcaps upside down with butter garlic and thyme in the gills and top off with some brie ,.. ohh yea :drool2:

Once i picked some yellow-stainers that didn't really have much yellow happening on them , as soon as they hit the fry-pan though that iodiney-dettol smell was overwelming and they got turfed..

Might do an experiment.

damn, this thread is making me hungry!

:EDIT:

Yeah, didn't notice any extra smell after cooking nthem, but the smell beforehand, while not dettol, definitely wasn't right. And the yelloe reaction became much more pronounced once exposed to heat. Turf them it is!

Mmm, am feeling decidedly strange after inhaling the fumes after cooking them, hope I haven't inadvertently ingesgted some airborne toxin lol :blink:

Probably just the litre + of wine I've drank tonight though :lol:

Amanita caesarea isn't found growing wild in Australia as far as I'm aware.

Amanita caesarea isn't found growing wild in Australia as far as I'm aware.

not yet...

I've found Flammulina velutipes around Daylesford while on hunts before.

growing on a Sweet Pittosporum tree and on a Poplar.

stems are a bit tough.

Lactarius are excellent grilled as Ferret said, with garlic, thyme ( a great herb for fungi) and oil.

I did some last week over charcoal.

I also like them cooked 'Al Vapor' - Mexicano.

oil in pan , fry onions, and a chopped fresh chile.

add sliced milk caps , salt and cook a few minutes

then tip about 1/2 to 1 cup of water, add some chopped Epazote (Chenopodium ambrosioides)

cover with lid and reduce heat,

cook about 5-10 min , uncover and reduce liquid as desired or if necessary.

serve on warm corn tortillas spread with sour cream

top with fresh salsa- (tomato, onion, chile salt, lime juice, chopped coriander)

I've eaten a lot of Macrolepiota rhacodes (Chlorophyllum brunneum)and M. procera (/ M. clelandii) , they're good but apparently there are some dangerous Lepiota's out there.

Just like to underline this point- I seriously advise against eating Australia's C. brunneum (what has been known as rhacodes in Aus), unless you already know it agrees with you (like me). Shared a few large caps with my girlfriend yesterday, she became very unwell about 2-3 hours after eating, the most violent vomiting i have ever witnessed coupled with extreme hot/cold flushes, sweating and dizziness. I consumed probably twice as much as her and I was fine.

Sounds similar to C. molybdites poisoning to me.

Ended up getting checked out at A+E after a couple of hours of this, by which time symptoms had settled down to queasiness.

Apparently there have been 3 other cases of poisoning involving this species in Melbourne over the last two weeks! Probably best to treat all Chlorophyllum/Macrolepiota spp. with caution.

Looks like i'll be eating this one on my own from now on..

I'm wondering how I should go about identifying the Horse Mushroom - Agaricus Arvensis? I find yellow stainers with a strong ring/veil and if the horse mushroom goes a bit yellow how do I know when it's actually a horse mushroom?

I do notice that Xanthodermus seems to spring up in a bit of a boxy shape, not as nicely rounded as say Campestrus. Thoughts?

EDIT: I definitely didn't see the thread in the ID section which tries to answer this exact topic. So I'll have more of a chat there.

Edited by NSF

Mmm, am feeling decidedly strange after inhaling the fumes after cooking them, hope I haven't inadvertently ingesgted some airborne toxin lol :blink:

Probably just the litre + of wine I've drank tonight though :lol:

added to ignore

Edited by punkin