The Corroboree
tassiejd

check out this $800 ebay cacti

just looking through ebay and found this, dont think it will sell for the price they want, well pretty sure it wont but check her out

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Super-RARE-COLLECTORS-CACTUS-Button-Cactus_W0QQitemZ170470585568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs?hash=item27b0d6b4e0#ht_500wt_1182

oh and check out this persons list, Grown wild outdoors they say but some interesting growth on their cacti so they might well be

http://shop.ebay.com.au/cactus188/m.html?_nkw=cacti&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=cactgi&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

Edited by tassiejd

wow thats a beauty! :drool2: how could someone part with such a specimen?

wow thats a beauty! drool2.gif how could someone part with such a specimen?

easy - $800 would do it ;)

aren't lophs generally more expensive in Aus? that would be about 2-300 here.

amazing plant, whoever gets it.

yu cant put a price on sacred things...... :-) better to grow it yourself for 20 years.

but since sacredness is for sale,..... tell me where I can buy jesus. keep him as a pet or something....

• Like 1

The outdoor grown plants have that nice pink tinge lophs get from lots of direct sunlight

Thanks for the links. Look at all those shiny buttons!

button, button who's got the button

that seller has some great items for sale!!!

my god i told myself i wouldn't buy anymore cacti... but but but they are calling me!!!

my god i told myself i wouldn't buy anymore cacti... but but but they are calling me!!!

haha know that feeling all to well, but yeah im in the same boat, trying to save some money and not grow the collection and im sort of failing at both at the moment.

yu cant put a price on sacred things...... :-) better to grow it yourself for 20 years.

but since sacredness is for sale,..... tell me where I can buy jesus. keep him as a pet or something....

anything can be "sacred". has to do with ones own beliefs and the implications they put on it. jesus, peyote, caapi, tobacco, or a rock. not saying its wrong ( i think its cool people put such importance on things according to their belief system), but i think the sale of peyote is no more wrong or right than selling roses, pansies or paintings.

I bumped into a guy recently who has been growing lophs for years. I think that he started from just one or two small ones himself, but over the years he's grafted some, and left others on their roots, and he has dozens of whoppers now.

Here are some of them, although I am not sure of their ages. He's just registered on the Corroboree, so as soon as he's validated he might be able to tell a bit more of his story himself.

2d8i5p5.jpg

dy3yhu.jpg

311m7w9.jpg

24f9vgi.jpg

531xs7.jpg

He has trays and trays of seedlings too, and he seems to get really good germination and growth, and good pupping too. My 1 yo son recently scuppered my first attempt at actually germinating lophs :BANGHEAD2: , but I have a few precious seeds that I'm guarding with my life ( :worship: HN), and if I can get mine to grow like his I'll be a happy camper indeed.

I guess that if I had fundage to burn I might consider a mature specimen. There's a lot of enjoyment in growing one's own from seed or from seedlings though, and my circumstances make me a bit more Zen about it all, so I'm happy to start from littlies.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to graft to trichs in another year or two, and maybe in a decade I'll have some biomass to rival the photos above, or the insane one from Evilbay! I used to grow bonsai, so 10 years is hardly a wait at all... :wink:

^nice!

the auction just ended, no takers

i wonder if he'll put the price down?

Edited by dr lucien sanchez

I'll give him 5 bucks and half a bottle of merlot for it... :devil:

Could not help myself... bought it!!! WOW ... What a cluster....

It is the 'other' Loph he had for sale that was the real 'leave your mouth agape' speciman

I too was watching these EBAY items. I emailed the seller and asked could he tell me the botanical name ? His reply was ", grower just knows it as button cactus". ( maybe he was playing it down a bit (pleading ignorance)). As i am so new to cactus ,i didnt want to buy something that was , well ,not what i was after. So going by everyones reaction, they are the ones i am after.They dont appear to be spikey so they would suit me down to the ground. Are there other cactus types people are calling 'button cactus ' when they are not really THE button cactus. ( i feel like a kinda garten child compared to you guys with the terminology and abbreviations. I will get the hang of it ) :)

Could not help myself... bought it!!! WOW ... What a cluster....

It is the 'other' Loph he had for sale that was the real 'leave your mouth agape' speciman

I'm curious, which one are you referring too?

This one?

post-1423-127353393986_thumb.jpg

Or this one?

post-1423-127353397322_thumb.jpg

For I was offered $1300 for both, but declined... and would like to know

if you bought either of these?

whisperz,...

I too was watching these EBAY items. I emailed the seller and asked could he tell me the botanical name ? His reply was ", grower just knows it as button cactus". ( maybe he was playing it down a bit (pleading ignorance)). As i am so new to cactus ,i didnt want to buy something that was , well ,not what i was after. So going by everyones reaction, they are the ones i am after.They dont appear to be spikey so they would suit me down to the ground. Are there other cactus types people are calling 'button cactus ' when they are not really THE button cactus. ( i feel like a kinda garten child compared to you guys with the terminology and abbreviations. I will get the hang of it ) :)

The "button cacti" you see on Ebay refer to Lophophora spp., usually L. williamsii, commonly known as peyote. While it is indeed very active and spineless, it is also very slow growing, taking maybe 10 years to reach an age where you could consider eating them. To add to that, apparently you need ~8 buttons for a full-blown trip. I think it is almost criminal to consider eating them, although if they are cultivated and you care to throw money and years of loving care away for a trip, then that's up to you. Wild-collected peyote though, that's a different matter. I strongly disagree with people harvesting them to consume, especially tourists on holidays looking to get off chops.

Anyway, the point is, yes, you may be after them, but most people pursue them for there aesthetics, not to eat them. Active Trichocereus spp. are a better bet if consumption is your intent. Keep in mind that doing so is illegal though.

Edited by tripsis

I bought both of them ( the ones in the photos above ) . He gave me a choice and it was too difficult to chose,so I coughed up for both. How often does one come across a chance to bypass 20 years of ungrafted growth and watch them for the next 20 years.

He knew what he was on about, understandably wary of enquiries...Williamsii definately

Definately.... would not consider eating them...Crazy stuff....It's like considering eating your adopted children...

Very happy with the new kids...

wow, how much did you pay for both of them? Are you after buying any more loph's? :)

I too was watching these EBAY items. I emailed the seller and asked could he tell me the botanical name ? His reply was ", grower just knows it as button cactus". ( maybe he was playing it down a bit (pleading ignorance)).

The issue is that Ebay does not allow Lophs to be sold on the site. That's why it was listed as 'button cactus' and he was pleading ignorance.

I lost out on one of the other clumps but going to try for another bunch :) They look healthy.

The issue is that Ebay does not allow Lophs to be sold on the site. That's why it was listed as 'button cactus' and he was pleading ignorance.

I understand.(I wasn't hanging shit on him/her) I was going to buy one but didn't want to blow my money on something that was not the genuine item. It is hard to fathom that they take so long to grow. As stated earlier,it would be criminal to watch one grow for 20 odd years and then chow down on it.

Edited by Amazonian

wow, how much did you pay for both of them? Are you after buying any more loph's? :)

Lots...$1,300.

Worth it though!

As for buying more...mmmmm..... might stop investing in Lophs for a while me thinks!

It was the 'Peak' of a Loph phase... A Loph acquiring 'climax' of sorts after which one needs to rest and bask in the afterglow....

What were you thinking though ( mere curiosity )