The Corroboree
Chiral

Warning on Subs

It's that time of the year again and I know a lot of you are just busting a hump to get out in the bush and find some subs...just a few words of warning about these fruits.

If you find a huge patch and collect them all, make absoluely sure you check each and every single fruit when sorting and drying for copycats, galerinas or any other lookalike, even if you think it's a sub but aren't 200% sure it is...sling it, don't go..oh yeah I think it's a sub cause it was in the same patch. You'd be surprised in a picking frenzy how many non subs you can end up with...you may only get one chance so be absolutely damned sure of your id'ing skills and DO NOT think it's okay to just try it and see.

Secondly, this mushroom is not recreational in my opinion, in fact I don't see any fun in dosing this fungus at all, it is a deep dark haunting trip that can be very very overwhelmingly disturbing at times, it is not social so don't expect to be off at some party dosed up on this fruit or you will be poleaxed into some sort of alternate reality and quite possibly lose it.

Do not treat it like a cubensis as the two have virtually no similarities at all, particularly when it comes to dosing and measured weights etc...3gms of good quality cubensis is fun and can be recreational for most users, 3gms of subs can and will knock you down and you won't be laughing.Start very small, around the 1-2 gm mark and make sure you have a 4-5 window of peaceful time, without interruptions from things like family or phonecalls that will make you paranoid or anxious that could bring you undone or turn your trip upside down. have a friend stay with you for the first few hours if possible and ask them not to dose with you if you are unsure, just in case you don't take to the trip and start freaking, at least they can be supportive in some way.

There have been many reports of disturbing physical side effects and strange unexplained reactions during and post trip on subs, for eg..falling down and feinting without warning, epileptic type attacks and seizures, complete and utter dissociation from ones mind and body and the potential to lose control of involuntary actions like breathing and even bowel or bladder movements.

There is very little real in depth knowledge and data on these mushrooms to help the nubile picker and tripper so just be aware that you are messing with something that is not fully understood by many and they are extremely strong and mind bending. Take it from me I am one of the typical indestructible types who thinks no psychedelic is too strong for me, bring it on as hard as you like type..you know what I mean, I dosed 29gms of subs last year one time, then again dosed 12gms with 15gms of subs together, then again another 15gm sub trip. It wasn't pretty and I am probably quite lucky not to have poisoned myself or hurt myself mentally or even physically during or after these sessions. I have the memories under my belt and feel I learned an immense amount of intricate detail about life and things everyone including myself overlook all the time, but I'm quite sure I don't ever need to be so gun ho and risk such levels again. Perhaps one day down the road in some years I may need to reset and remember, but it will be with a lot more respect and control, for this mushroom is no fun funky happy hippy party at all.

I've never done Ibogaine but have been fascinated by it's powers and have read about how it disassociates you from yourself quite heavily...I think subs are simialr like that and are a medicine, a primitive cap like a very very ancient tablet, a very potent almost dangerous fungus that one must use under guidance, for healing, learning, not for fun and shits n giggles.

Take the time to understand the mushrooms growth habitat and it's connection to the ground, take the time to appreciate and respect it's surroundings, it will call out to you if you are truly seeking out it's powers, I have been picking and have on many many occasions been under some sort of hypnotic spell and led to an area through spines and rugged terrain, almost falling and injuring myself, but the hypnotic vibe has me in it's powers and I arrive, the spell lifts and I see with clarity a patch of 30 -40 beautiful fat gold subs shiny and glistening, wanting me to pick them...sounds wacked and trippy...ask holy mountain he will tell you the same shit, he has had them call him over and drawn him to them, it's so damn amazingly old and mystical when you open up to them that they seemingly want to play with you and have fun.

anyways be safe, don't pick too many, save some for others, spread spores and throw stem buts into new wood chipped areas, clean and dry them properly, take pictures, respect the terrain and offer the pastures and surrounding trees your blessings as you walk around...do not litter and disrespect the places you walk, do not throw cigarette butts in the bush, put them in your pockets and dispose of them later. Do not be brave or stupid and carry large sacks of subs in the car in view of any other passer by or motorists.

Do not if you can help it offer any of your pickings to people unless you are 1000% sure of the identity...you do not ever want someone else's sickness or something worse on your conscience...be safe, smart, respectful ethnobots and take the time to just notice and appreciate nature and all it's unbelievable mystique and beauty.

oh and watch out for leeches too...those suckers are nasty... :blush:

I wrote this just as a form of harm minimization, most of you here already know all of this but I felt it was a fair enuff thing to post considering how many new people have been coming in lately and in particularly quite a few new people I've met in real life who are just jumping out of their skins with passion for plants and mushrooms.

laterz.

• Thanks 1

ok, so i have read the edible mushroom guide, well browsed etc. I still dont know what exactly are safe and not safe.

Lets say I live in North-east NSW or south-east queensland. Would i find subs here and is their some way to identify them well, and where to look.

I have been seeing mushrooms popping up everywhere, but I never know. I have looked for photos but they look very similar to the fruits I have been seeing, like gold colour, small cap. They all look the same, how do u guys know?

Maybe just a photo, so I know what is not edible or intoxicating. If it lethal pls label it differently then to 'actively intoxicating'.

someone mite help me :)

Edited by ref1ect1ons

Secondly, this mushroom is not recreational in my opinion, in fact I don't see any fun in dosing this fungus at all, it is a deep dark haunting trip that can be very very overwhelmingly disturbing at times

Dude I could not agree more! I don't know what the hell it is about Panaeolus subbalteatus but they give the weirdest, creepiest most axious trips ever!

Maybe just a photo

it's really hard to know from photos alone.

there are some fungi out there that look very similar but have a slimy feel.

you really need someone to go out w/you a few times checking everything w/you.

I have always thought it was the area i picked these mushrooms from that made them less of a recreational thing and more of a teacher. I just thought it was a powerful area that produced powerful mushrooms. i Didnt realise it was the strain of shroom.

Until recently reading online i never new they where subs and was always told they where blue meanies, and just presumed the name suited the mushroom because they can definatly seem mean.

I have seen people taken to dark places from over use / abuse of subs. And unfortunatly for some it is something they never properly recovered from.

I agree with Chiral. Please people be careful with these mushrooms.

chiral; your mushrooms could have been rendered "inactive" by oxidisation what you really want to know is how much active psilocybin you consumed

i love subs at partys and playing music on subs ;)

and were talking about Psilocybe subaeruginosa

it's really hard to know from photos alone.

there are some fungi out there that look very similar but have a slimy feel.

you really need someone to go out w/you a few times checking everything w/you.

This is so true..if you go with someone who has identified them before correctly then you stand a much greater chance of practicing safe shrooming. There are millions of photo's of subs and their habitat on line and yes where you live would produce no problems, they need a cool climate to fruit so obviously the further north you go the less chance of seeing them.

Subs have a very particularly feel and weight to them, it's unmistakable really but it still blows me away how many lookalikes can make it into the bag at the end of the day.

Partying on subs...well maybe a small doof or campfire that was quiet maybe somewhat ok...I think there is something different going on with them fresh too as oppossed to dried and making tea with ascorbic acid.

Pick em all, chew up heaps, melt away.......

Heaps of younguns around ere use em for partyin, very strange melty dirty, snotty, teary fun. No point tellin em to go easy on em as they just go harder once ya do. Either way they smile.

Fresh or dried dont make a diff imo, there are too many other factors involved, a big dose can seem small and a small dose can seem big. They make you pick them, they make you see them, they make you, them.

If ya dunno what ya lookin for it aint hard to find someone that does, if not just sit at ya local park and wait for the bobbing hippy, up, down, up, down, squat, pick pick pick. I never get "lookalikes" in my bag, i dunno how ya can mistake a fat juicy for skinny rust gill, the only foreigners in my bag are lactarius.

don't pick too many, save some for others

Here here. Too many times i've seen people with freezers full of shrooms destined to be thrown in the bin. Take only what you need!

Great post Chiral! Although i disagree about subs not having any recreational value. For some people that's all they may be, but it doesn't mean while they're twirling away with their poi's (sp?) they aren't in the midst of an amazingly spiritual revelation. I think subs and shrooms in general are spiritual for everyone, whether they know it or not. It's just that, like any psychedelic, be careful and responsible with their use. I've had sub experiences where it was nothing more than hanging out with mates laughing our dopey arses off, and they're some of the trips i'll remember best because of the sheer euphoria of realising how lucky i was to have friends to experience this with.

Happy and safe hunting everyone!

cheers

Pick em all, chew up heaps, melt away.......

Heaps of younguns around ere use em for partyin, very strange melty dirty, snotty, teary fun. No point tellin em to go easy on em as they just go harder once ya do. Either way they smile.

Fresh or dried dont make a diff imo, there are too many other factors involved, a big dose can seem small and a small dose can seem big. They make you pick them, they make you see them, they make you, them.

If ya dunno what ya lookin for it aint hard to find someone that does, if not just sit at ya local park and wait for the bobbing hippy, up, down, up, down, squat, pick pick pick. I never get "lookalikes" in my bag, i dunno how ya can mistake a fat juicy for skinny rust gill, the only foreigners in my bag are lactarius.

LOL..nutter, agree about the small can seem big and big can seem small but a huge dose seems to start in the middle of a normal dose and then take you with a VIP pass to the underworld. Look there probably is a little recreational value to them if the framework is right, it's prolly just me being a little precious as I always sit quietly and undisturbed and set the scene for a meditational 5-6 hrs with music and dim lights...they seems to really roll heavy when you let em' take you over and carry you down to the monkey elders.

Cubes are like the party outside the gates to the underworld, with heaps of DMT'esque colors and that tryptamine hit...Subs are a VIP pass through those gates straight into the below world and caves with teachers and mind walkers.

They hit real hard and heavy with lemon juice when prepared carefully and right, strained and re-simmered a second time...ascorbic acid seems to peotect and carry more un-metabolised psilocybin to the right areas giving the user a huge unexpected shock into darkness. Fresh they seem to be more trippy like acid, a little macbre and on the dark side of psychedlic as opposed to say a mesc dose and feeling like the world loves you and you finally understand everything.

Subs stacked in freezers destined for the bin...WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE...why would you store them in a freezer FFS...this is what I mean people are greedy and selfish, I just don't get that at all.

^^

I know man, and it's alway some excuse like "We're gonna thaw em out and have em later" or "you take em, we'll never use them" :blink:

I think i'm relatively inexperience with subs all the same, having taken them a number of times, from trip reports and reading/hearing other peoples experience with them i get the impression i've always have fairly light doses. I've only ever eaten them raw, which you mention give a different effect from dried. And having what i think were always light doses probably never experienced the darker side of subs....so probably a little pre-emptive on my last post ey :lol:

Really looking forward to this season. Past years i haven't been in the right frame of mind to take them, but my life's fairly stable atm so i'll deff be seeking the guiding light of the earth :wub:

cheers

some cool advice thar chiral

Dry, coffee grinder, cap, save.

Subs not be mean IMO. 29g, did u visit the interdimentional village? All those big doses may have been enough to get u there. That was one interesting talk :P

As always, combo with MD's can brighten and lighten even sum of the darkest. For pure rainbow joy, I suggest the stones. Why consume just one species, mix and match to ur tastes.

I agree with Chiral here. Subs have a dark twisted carnival feel. The visuals are different, the colours are dimmer and flow less than cubes.

There seems to be no motivation in a party situation. Definatly wouldnt want to dance on jelly legs.

3 times over the past few years i have seen people pass out and have strange mini siezures which does not seem to be dose dependant. Dehydration seems to be a common link between them though.

They are a great wise teacher if not abused.

Have fun in the fungal jungle

They make you pick them, they make you see them, they make you, them.

hah...this is a fuggern gem and sooooo so so true, i dunno what it is about them but they do definately call you and invite to come do the dance with em'

funny stuff.

YM I'm no experienced hunter either, I'm extremely new compared to others, but a superfast learner by all accounts and tend to not ever forget things I learn in nature, as opposed to material and social learning's, plant identification and mushroom knowledge seems to really stick solid and fast. There are people here that have been picking for 10 or more years, but am sure they would offer similar advice, just that I can be a chatter box or conduit for information to others, always making sure to pass on facts learned correctly from other wise people and trying never to assume or guess the theory.

Stitched up...not sure what mean by my mushrooms were "inactive"...if they were then I would certainly not have tripped so damned...harder than anything ever from any other substance that includes mistaking DOM for speed and taking 2 wet finger tips worth...3 solid days of unstoppable malevolent open eyed hallucinations starting in Amsterdam and ending in London some 4 days later, by myself too..yeah not good and certainly not funny, but subs have taken me way further than anything like that and in only the space of say 5 to 6 hours.

Dry, coffee grinder, cap, save.

Subs not be mean IMO. 29g, did u visit the interdimentional village? All those big doses may have been enough to get u there. That was one interesting talk :P

damn that sounds incredibly familiar...I did visit a place that was underworld and run by keepers and mind walkers..inter-dimensional village certainly sounds like what I experienced...any info or a link to that talk, I'm assuming that was an EGA talk...?

thanks Naja.

Yeah, not for party IMO either. Not alone anyway. Mixed with happier substances then maybe. I have also witnessed the passout's, atleast one I can specifically remember was from cubies. IMO shrooms are not for parties at all really, maybe small groups, but not large festivals/doofs/etc. However reports from diff people, let me know others do enjoy them in large social situations. Bit like sitting in middle of dance floor, ft or 2 from subbies and smoking a cone of chang. Not recommended, but certainly worth trying atleast once, hehe

Wat u recon about watching jackass 2, eating freshies all while camping in lush bush, huddling under hastily erected tarp as it rained, on them Lampy :wink:

Edited by naja naja

Yeah the lookalike thing scares me a bit, i think if people are pulling lookalikes from the bags then they really shouldn't be picking. Of course the final assessment of whats in there is always done, and obviously the skills are there for those same people to pick dodgy ones out of that final batch, but they shouldn't even be in there in the first place. If they are getting in there the method being undertaken is crap IMO (and that includes getting overexcited haha).

Little mistakes can be fatal, even if there are checks and balances later on to attempt to eliminate, it's already coming a step too close than it really should be. I've been quite astounded even some of the very experienced id folk who admit surprisingly pulling many Galerina out on final assessment. Not cool IMO, get back to the books before even thinking about the field, grasshopper stage again no matter how much effort we've put in over the years and how much we convince ourselves we know.

Good to post this sort of stuff though chiral, thanks for bringing it up, particularly the post subaeruginosa fainting/mass hallucination issue that occurs. To elaborate a little more on that instead of scouring other threads, this potentially seems like a blood sugar issue and or vasovagal syncope, but that may only be one small factor in the issue, we don't know in all honesty (as far as i'm aware).

To be honest it's not probably the case that lookalikes or dangerous/poisonous fruits have been picked, rather some smaller subs don't always seem to exhibit the clear identifying characters you need to be 100% and if in doubt it's better to sling them even if they are subs...well that's what I've found anyways, you can't go wrong with the bigger ones unless you are a real retard, but the smaller single ones that don't bruise or have that feel. People will always pick subs that haven't opened their cap properly and are runts and this is prolly where most of issues occur.

ah yeah i get what you mean, and fully agree if in doubt throw them out :)

Oh and another safety point.

Garden beds, particularly in the more frequented public areas (but not restricted to) are often sprayed fairly heavily and regularly with herbicide during the year as well as during fruit formation. Different people use different indicator dyes and some people use none at all (legal or not) signs will not always be erected, and even then you often have no clue as to what chemicals have been put into that area, and specifically the fruiting area. Dyes can be different colours, but be aware there is a blue one that is used and is essentially indistinguishable from blue bruising.

I've known of, and seen first hand people spraying mushrooms accidentally as off target, as well as deliberately spraying them! One quote i remember 'used to use that shit as a kid, don't anymore..*spray spray drench*" Needless to say there are some really fucked up people out there with no respect for anyone but themselves! IMO avoid planted public beds.

Edited by gerbil

Wat u recon about watching jackass 2, eating freshies all while camping in lush bush, huddling under hastily erected tarp as it rained, on them Lampy :wink:

mmm the memories, great times. Hopefully do something similar again one day

.. The visuals are different, the colours are dimmer and flow less than cubes...

IMHO Subs are FAR FAR more colourful than cubes. I have experienced a blackout(esque) situation once. Not really involuntary though it was more like the shrooms suggested i liedown and close my eyes. I liken it to a ketamine style out of body trip accompanied by the kaleidescope of fractals.

The other thing i feel is worth mentioning is the almost instant comedown from subs (5 - 10 mins). That and the day after, for some reason i tend to feel awesome for some reason.. not hungover at all.

But yeah.. definitely not suitable for a party situation. Nature, warmth, good friends and good tunes.

Whats everyones perspective on the pros/cons of day-tripping vs. night-tripping?

be aware there is a blue one that is used and is essentially indistinguishable from blue bruising.

I've known of, and seen first hand people spraying mushrooms accidentally as off target, as well as deliberately spraying them! One quote i remember 'used to use that shit as a kid, don't anymore..*spray spray drench*" Needless to say there are some really fucked up people out there with no respect for anyone but themselves! IMO avoid planted public beds.

Thats fucking scary man.. especially since most n00bies will be using bruising as their primary (and quite often ONLY) indicator.

Hello , reoccuring, but interesting nevertheless topic...

Are you sure this mean/dark/sinister thing is not a direct response to dose and placebo/myth/selfsuggestion ??

Teotz I actually remember Pan subbalteatus are considered friendlier, not more sinister. The dose thing seems to be true here, as subalteatus seem to be active at 5 grams. Gyms are also considered friendlier and they are seriously less potent than psilos. The potency thing seems to be pretty valid.

I know T.bridgesii has been labeled as such [dark/sinister] by some people in here, compared to other trichos, and I didn't find this at all. I rather tend to think these all reports are dose-related.

I now know the heavily blueing woodeaters have psilocin and/or other understudied alkaloids, but still, I think it's mostly expectations+dose [+potency] +set+setting.

I have yet to experience psilos, been thinking about them these days.

Mutant I recal a thread of yours that you showed some nice amazing woodlovers you found, probably azures...have you not tried them ?

...please do and then make a comment, I'm sure you will be not so flippant about them after-wards.

Teotz pan subs are nothing like P. subaeruginosa in fact they are more like a weak cube, they also are a dung lover and fruit in warmer conditions.

subs are the king of mystique and deep dark entry to places you won't imagine could exist.