The Corroboree
Quelho

2010 Sub season

Edited by lsdreamz

hey mt.b would you mind telling me what the temperature was for the past few nights in the area you found that?also a question for you guys, down my area the minimum temperatures are ranging from 7-11 degrees, and have found nothing in my patches, are these temperatures too high? and also will a patch fruit if it has just been topped up with new woodchips? cheers and good luck everyone

hey mt.b would you mind telling me what the temperature was for the past few nights in the area you found that?

Dunno. I was out camping for the weekend in the remote N.E of Vic.

Hey i have a question... Just say that on one day it pissed down with rain then the next day its 0deg right. How long should somebody wait untill they go out and search for flushes? That has always confused me just like everything else in the world :P

2 days and you should definitely have action if its going to happen. The pins will come up within 24hrs though.

Frusciante: Freshly chipped beds will generally not fruit. The fresh chips are not colonised by saprophytes until they've had enough time to sit around, leech some tannins and get nice and wet a few times.

Here are a couple more pics of yesterdays finds, im interested to know if there is any difference between the gold tops and the caramel tops? Also ive found there are ones that are gold topped but bell shaped, then there are gold tops with wavy tops, then there are dark caramel tops that can be either awell.. are these different strains or just older more mature ones? Ive found tiny gold tops though....

Also, another patch I know they always grow hasnt pinned yet so... unless the conditions are right for the patch they wont come up.

2vb7vac.jpgqr1bfk.jpg

23w9ool.jpg25zsg0k.jpg

2m4on5l.jpg34nqnx2.jpg

fdsvmt.jpg

Edited by klip247

Here are a couple more pics of yesterdays finds, im interested to know if there is any difference between the gold tops and the caramel tops? Also ive found there are ones that are gold topped but bell shaped, then there are gold tops with wavy tops, then there are dark caramel tops that can be either awell.. are these different strains or just older more mature ones? Ive found tiny gold tops though....

Also, another patch I know they always grow hasnt pinned yet so... unless the conditions are right for the patch they wont come up.

subs are hygrophanous meaning the caps will change colour as they dry out. fresher mushrooms in wetter locations will usually have darker coloured caps. there is a huge amount of variation in the shape of subs in melbourne, someone who keeps more up to date with taxonomy might have more to say on the matter

"The fresh chips are not colonised by saprophytes until they've had enough time to sit around, leech some tannins and get nice and wet a few times."

thanks morg, would 2 months be long enough for this colonisation?

hunt_for_red_october.jpg

Edited by lsdreamz

Nice finds folks! Some lovely looking subs in those photos.

lsdreamz, yes, they are subs.

Give me back my camera

:D Going up the Blue Mountains this w/e, can't wait!

Someone here last year said they had luck at a patch in Mt Victoria? I won't go into specifics about it, just in case they don't wish to advertise the spot again.

How many are having luck around these parts of the mountains?

nice finds lsdreamz... wouldn't happen to have been at a certain well known camping place would it?

hope you left some behind!

some nice photography and hunting goin on. keep up the good work guys:drool2:

Edited by lsdreamz

Get ya ass up ere mu, tha string tracks are primed and ready to go :)

Best you bring that interbeing character along with too.

It would be pretty low to go ahead a few days before the date and pillage everything before everyone got there ;) I never had luck around that area anywho so i kept going way past that spot, but on the way back i thought id just check in and make sure that everything is still fine with the site.

A word of caution .. bring thick pants! There is this thorny weed stuff that is all over the place and if you get it wrapped around your leg.. forget about it. Its like barbed wire.

Lol yeah its blackberry bush - sliced my hand up on it a couple weeks back when hunting.

:D Going up the Blue Mountains this w/e, can't wait!

Someone here last year said they had luck at a patch in Mt Victoria? I won't go into specifics about it, just in case they don't wish to advertise the spot again.

How many are having luck around these parts of the mountains?

We've found at Leura before.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

LOL blackberries, the pickers nemesis. Thick pants make easy work of it just dont try grab it and rip it off because that hurts and the thorns arent as friendly as cactee spines. Have lost alot of good tracks to them invasive bastids.

Good idea to take a change of clothes when headn out for a day pickn, especially shoes and sox, ESPECIALLY. Nothin better than slippin into some dry cloth for the ride home.

Ob is that a liberty or 3 I see in the second last pic...?

They do look like libs, but they could be a Panaeolus or Panaeolina sp.

I was told that liberties have been sighted in the Blue Mountains

I've seen mushrooms in the Blue Mountains which look quite similar to libs, but I don't think they were. I'll post a pic tonight if I remember.

Edited by tripsis

The Last expedition to local Patches was unfruitful!

Will be heading out tomorrow for another look as we have had some nice rain & a good cold snap over the last week!

Will post results tomorrow!

Edited by DreamingNagual

LOL blackberries, the pickers nemesis. Thick pants make easy work of it just dont try grab it and rip it off because that hurts and the thorns arent as friendly as cactee spines. Have lost alot of good tracks to them invasive bastids.

Good idea to take a change of clothes when headn out for a day pickn, especially shoes and sox, ESPECIALLY. Nothin better than slippin into some dry cloth for the ride home.

For those that have DryRider motorbike pants, wear em!

Waterproof, warm and KNEE PADS ZOMGS.

I love having knee pads while picking soooo much, really good for photo taking too :)

Wavy cap/flat cap/bell cap differences could be put down to variations of the subaugenerosa strain. I know there are still a few people that classify wavy and straight caps differently and break subs down further to P. Eucalypta and P. Australiana as well as a few others.

Just as the advice my father used to give me was to look for the mushrooms with nipples, however i've found more subs without nipples than with, and have found cubes with and without nipples too.

Some beautiful pictures though guys... really makes me hungry.

post-4860-127252708317_thumb.jpg

nippley

post-4860-127252711651_thumb.jpg

wavy

post-4860-127252712987_thumb.jpg

caramel top

post-4860-127252716149_thumb.jpg

bluers

post-4860-12725271913_thumb.jpg

chunky

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

I had a dream last night about picking subs, funny that it happened on the night of the full moon, I've been (trying to )planting all my veggies by a moon calender and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how the lunar cycles effect the fungi kingdom?

Drove through a location on monday that had been known to produce subs under a big old tree, and sure enough after the heavy rains of saturday about 10 subs were there among others, usually there is a coral fungi there too but this time 4 or 5 different varietys, When told to ingest the said subs the person ate the caps off about eight and a stimulating, light hearted enjoyable experience was had, quite different from what the sub warning thread suggests, maybe more like low dose cubensis, I wonder if the potential potency of a given strain is dictated by perfect conditions, lunar cycles, and maybe where the mushroom grows. This has always been a more mellow enjoyable strain of sub and happens to have a (umbonate?) nippley cap when mature, I was intigued about the possibility of subs - eucalyptus and australiana, whether native pcilocybe species should be under the one sub umbrella, or if there is a distint variety? I was also intrigued by whether their were different amounts levels ratios percentages pie charts of the amount of alkaloids contained in the cap and stem. Cap is different to the stem or it is all the same?