The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blip

So does Eileen set seed at all?

Edited by lsdreamz

Eileen is just a bridgesii clone, so seeds from it aren't guaranteed to be anything like it. I would say it's more than likely that it does set seed, although I've not seen it personally. Eileen seeds would just be like other bridgesii seeds, but likely to have at least some of Eileen's traits.

Edited by lsdreamz

I dunno, my brain says 50% of it's gene's will be donated from parent.

Edited by lsdreamz

Half the genetic code. However, during meiosis, genes are randomly combined, so only certain traits may be apparent.

Im sure once some members have eileen at size and flowering there will be crosses made. Now if we can all stop hacking into eileen and let her grow please :P

Im letting my big one go now, should be a couple of years yet.

Edited by lsdreamz

My uni genetics is fading...

You're on the right track, but we all have genes which are not visually apparent. These can be transferred to offspring and become apparent in them, giving them a phenotype which differs from the parent(s). So although offspring may often have traits which are predominantly from one parent, they can also look similar/dissimilar to both parents.

Bridgesii' are self-infertile so won't set seed without cross-pollination.

She's only flowered three times from memory. Each time as much pollen as possible was collected and distributed via this fora and the old EBA. I had no luck pollinating her, and the only success I recall was from one member who I never heard any more from than fruit were happening.

For the last few years she's been pruned to about 8' tall, but I'll be relocating in the next few months (at last) so she'll be left alone for a while.

As pd said, if I stop hacking into her she'll be back to her height 6years ago in a few years time.

ed

Edited by reshroomED

Cacti is def not one of my strong points, but like any cultivar the only way to insure an exact copy is to take cuttings or create tissue culture.

From what I have seen most super pedro or scop crosses that are made with bridgesii seem to have the fatness and shape of a scop and don’t seem to have the bridgesii spines or the narrower body shape.

Is this true most of the time?

If not can someone point me in the right direction?

Is Eileen a hybrid or just a freak ether way she’s great clone (she has thrown more pups than anything else I have)

She reminds me of the Monty python skit with the catholic woman popping out babies one after another :lol:

Cheers

Got

Edited by lsdreamz

I have found eileen to be slower than PsychoO in the same soil and environment, PsychoO seems to pup faster, PsychoO cuts seem to root faster, & pup faster, maybe this is all environmental, but that is how my plants are growing, I had one psychoO with four pups all going I cut them off and gave them to my Kids for their cacti Gardens, One of my Eileen cuts planted same time as Psych but seemed to stall so I tip cut and she threw two pups, the pups are still only two inches at most and again seem to have stalled. My icaros red spined Peruvian is by far my best grower and pupper... anyone else experience events like these??

I picked up a small 4-5 inch thin pup 12 months ago from sharax , slower growing than pach yes, but i didnt find eileen to be any slower than my other Unknown Ebay Bridgesii i picked up around the same time

She seems to root pretty fast from my limited experience with one other Bridgesii clone & other cacti, but that would also depend on environmental conditions & age of the cutting i guess :scratchhead:

She has thrown 3 base pups & i have taken a tip cutting & a fat pup off of it recently & it threw out another

So to propagate my eileen collection from a baby pup to 2 clones plus the original plants stump with 3 more pups on her she has done well for a single growing season

Edited by mac

Bridgesii' are self-infertile so won't set seed without cross-pollination.

She's only flowered three times from memory. Each time as much pollen as possible was collected and distributed via this fora and the old EBA. I had no luck pollinating her, and the only success I recall was from one member who I never heard any more from than fruit were happening.

For the last few years she's been pruned to about 8' tall, but I'll be relocating in the next few months (at last) so she'll be left alone for a while.

I got some of that Pollen a few years back.

from memory the pollen didn't take from the q-tips. :(

it was well worth a try

We've got her growing well enough here now and expect fresh flowering in 3 more years time.