The Corroboree
Bread Filter

When to harvest my habaneros

Hi Guys.

Not sure if this the right place for this but I was wondering if someone could please give me some help on when to harvest my yellow habaneros?

habaneros.jpg

Will they fatten up anymore or should I just pick them now? They have only just turned yellow in the past 2 days. They are yellow, they just came out orange in the photo.

I forgot to add something for scale but that is my index and middle fingers in the shot.

They look pretty nice to me, though I'd probably wait 1-2 days more to see if you get any further colour change.

Looking pretty good there.

^^Thanks mate. This is my first attempt at growing them. I don't know what I am do with them when they are done though, they're too hot for me.

pick them all and send them to me. i like.

pick them all and send them to me. i like.

If you want them you can have them, I'd be glad to give something back to this community.

I'll keep a few for fun though!

Hey I would love some of them or even just the seeds!! If you have any spare.. :wink: :wink:

A few people have already claimed all my habaneros by PM. If I had more I'd give them away guys but I only have the one little plant. Thanks for the interest.

dworx, how do I get them to seed? I know nothing about growing chillis.

seeds are inside the chilli dude :lol:

just save dw some when you use the chilli in your cooking

Edited by Quilliam

seeds are inside the chilli dude :lol:

just save dw some when you use the chilli in your cooking

Wicked thanks for that. I was already planning on sending him some habbies, now he can have both!

but generaly, there is no need to harvest chillies once they have reached maturety,

as most varieties are quite happy, to keep the fruits on the plant.

even if you forget to pick the fruits, they will just dry up on the plant and often still can be used for eating.

another good thing is that one can use aswell inmature chilly fruits, so basicly chillies have a large window of opportunety, when it come to harvest time, one more big benefit of this incredible plant.

fruits found unfit for consumption, could be turned into a spray against plant pests...

^^thanks for that. I am learning more and more everyday about chilis. I especially like the part about unfit fruit being used as pesticide spray.

Next year I'll grow ten habanero plants!

The taste will also change as they ripen. I like to use firmer peppers for salsa and vegetable dishes and softer very ripe peppers for sauces. Somewhere in between firm and soft when smoke drying.

Habanero update:

My mates and I kinda tried one habanero last night. We made nachos then planned to have a bowl of hab on the side.

I sliced the habenero up and then washed my hands thoroughly, that was the only contact I had with the fruit all night. I foolishly licked my fingers as I was eating the nachos and my mouth burned for a good 6 hours.

One of my mates squashed a seed between thumb and forefinger then licked the oil, he was in a pretty bad way all night and it even came out in his urine within an hour. He was the worst off. Plus we had no milk, only beer.

These things are hardcore. I don't know how you guys eat them!

anyway, this is what the most mature one looked like cut up. Can anyone tell me how much longer I should leave them on the plant?

habs.jpg

habs2.jpg

lol habs are the shit. If you leave 'em on for a bit longer they will mellow out a bit (a little)

like ph said you can leave them on the plant for as long as you like

Add acidic ingredients to anything that touches habaneros. Use lemon, lime, tomatillo, tamarind, anything acid and edible.

That way you wont have to fear your toilet paper catching fire later on.

I would leave them until yoy can feel the seeds in side with just slight pressure from the fingers, cut one open and look at the seeds if they are firm and full as compared to the younger fruits, they should be fine..

Habaneros have the best flavor. Just scrape out the pith and seeds and chop finely to avoid the heat. Also Simmer chillies in oil for a while then store the lot in a jar. Add the oil to any dish to add that special touch. The oil will preserve the delicious fruit and take out some of the heat. Beware Chillies are addictive {I'm surprised our puritanic state government have not banned them yet}. They also freeze well {hot ice}. Latex cloves are usefully to stop macing yourself.