The Corroboree
blip

Would this be a lactarius by any chance??

Question

Edited by lsdreamz

mmmmm sure is man.

The smaller ones are better for feasting on.

Edited by lsdreamz

the other ones with the "sponge gills" are prolly slippery jacks.

Edited by lsdreamz

any chance of a pic of the slipperys?

Edited by lsdreamz

The slipperies are good, but IMO they don't hold a candle to the lactarius. They're good for soups and stews but you've gotta peel their slimey skin off which stains your hands for days.

Edited by lsdreamz

"Sponge gills" are called pores. :lol:

Just fry them up with some olive oil, garlic and salt. Simple and delicious.

Edited by lsdreamz

Edited by lsdreamz

Are you cooking the lactarius or slippery jacks...if lactarius then just cook them just like any other mushroom, there is no latex dripping from them, did you collect any slippery jacks...I thought you only had lactarius and fly's...?

Edited by lsdreamz

As PD said, try smaller specimens next time (before the cap turns up). Much better flavour and texture.

Also, older specimens tend to get hollow stems. I've never noticed a milky latex but they do occasionally stain slightly green with ages and sometimes leak orange.

can't wait to pick some of these again. i love them sauteed with butter, garlic and parsley on toast or cooked in a cream sauce with pasta (sautee onion garlic and mushrooms, add stock white wine and cream and some herbs)

FYI, for any budding edible hunters looking for a good recipe: The Edible Mushroom Book.

And yep, the mushroom in Post 1 is a saffron milk cap.

I've found that staining (blue/green) and sap (?) exudations to be closely related to the relative humidity they've grown in, with the bruisable, seeping shrooms occurring in the wetter environment.

We had a bumper year for milk-caps here a few seasons back, with most of the local pine-forests/plantations full of them, to the point that it only took me about 5mins to fill a shopping bag. it was very wet at the time and they were shocking for bruising and bleeding. The slightest pressure would cause a large green bruise and any breakage/cracking oozed.

If they could have been packed for transport a fortune was there, literally for the picking.

Haven't been out for a squiz yet (still pretty warm here for this time of year), but they'll be about soon if anyone would like some prints.

ed

Edited by reshroomED

I'm yet to hear of anyone cultivating lactarius spp. Would love to see any agar afficianados give it a crack.

They're symbiotic with pinus and a few other trees, so in-vitro's out.

Interesting thought, though.

I wonder if root-mass is an issue, ie could you grow them amongst bonsai pinesin a large planter?

ed

Edited by reshroomED

aww youz are making me hungry with all this mushroom cooking talk, and damn ive been seeing those slippery jack ones around in pines for fricken years and no one ever told me you could eat them, we get tons of them over here ,so now i know im gonna try em ..must be

Suillus luteus

Absolutely love milkys - Got a few the last few seasons but I made the mistake of going to Mt Macedon and half of Melbourne was up there doing the same at the time. I sliced them up fried with garlic and shallots and then added them to some pasta with cream. Seemed to work a treat.

Slipperies gave me a crook guts. Interesting flavour. I spoke to a polish guy who told me that people pic them dreaming they taste as good as cepes but they aint even close...

Some of the properties ive been looking at up in the hills have 4-5 pinus radiata trees in the yard all at altitude. Might get lucky

are there any poisonous bolets that look like slippery jacks, i was going to go looking for saffron milk caps in the next few weeks and saw italian food safari and the dude was picking slippery jacks too, if there are not any poisonous look alikes then i might try and collect a few of them too!

Mr Stay Puft, AFAIK not really that im aware of. The choc slimey cap and pores are a sure giveaway. Hope you get some good tucker.

Thanks, i thought the same too, i will head out in next week or two and try to take a camera with me!

Im heading out to get some slippery jacks and milk caps this weekend... i know where there is lotsa native bush round macedon area but not too sure where to go to find pine plantations! If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it!!!