The Corroboree
hutch

Can fertilizers kill mushrooms

I live next door to a 1100 acre cattle fattening property. I have never found a mushroom on any part of his property yet there is another 3 properties I know of just up the road that grow them well when conditions are right. He buys cattle in from all over the place and fattens them up for market. You would think spores would come in via hoofs or gut but as I said, never have I found a mushroom. He does fertilize his paddocks. Could that be the reason?

Any help appreciated....

Hutch :wink:

Ammonia (from urine for example) will inhibit fungal growth. Excessive nitrogen will also kill fungi. I'm not sure if fertilser application would stop mushrooms from growing though. I've had certain mushroom species naturalised into some of my potted plants, which have fruited for a couple of years, even with regular fertilisation.

guess it would also depend on your location and rainfall etc. cowshit is one thing but you also need humidity, lots of rain etc for the conditions to be right. maybe the farmer picks them all before you even get out of bed?

Well in my experience - My mum dumped a whole 20 kg bag of "Dynamic Lifter" on a Prunus species that was suffering badly from Armillaria , in winter

the bloody tree came back with a' vengance next spring ,looked fantastic and there was no sign of root rot any more ,checked every week over the autum and winter periods and when i pulled the tree out about 2 years later ( we got sick of it ) the rot looked like it wasnt affecting the tree at all any more it looked like root rot had only got too the middle of the tree trunk a little bit and then was stopped.

Let me tell you once this fungus takes hold on a tree it ussually kills the tree within two three years.

Why dont you pick a spot where some fungus fruits from dump a whole lot of fert on it ,like 10 kg blood and bone or something like that ,(great time of year to be trying out some kind of garden experiment regarding fungus) and tell us about it......

lol please do this on your own garden or with prior permission form land owner.

Have a fat one mate :)

super phosphate definatly stops field mushrooms from fruiting. Our farm has huge amounts of field mushrooms if we hold off spreading super for a few years. Apply it and there is not one mushroom to be found. This is SW WA

super phosphate definatly stops field mushrooms from fruiting. Our farm has huge amounts of field mushrooms if we hold off spreading super for a few years. Apply it and there is not one mushroom to be found. This is SW WA

You might be spot on lampy. I asked him if he uses it and he said he does. Could explain it. I haven't even found an edible mushroom on his place the hole time I've been here but i get them on mine. Thats one fertilizer thats crossed off the list.

Thanks

Hutch

You might be spot on lampy. I asked him if he uses it and he said he does. Could explain it. I haven't even found an edible mushroom on his place the hole time I've been here but i get them on mine. Thats one fertilizer thats crossed off the list.

Thanks

Hutch

I thought this was quite well known......even the conspiracy theory of authorities spreading super where psychomush grows,so we can't take um...photo's :wink:

Not real good for soil health overall without the underground mycelia either.Then again I suppose raping the land for profit is better than keeping it healthy.

Pastures would benefit more from natures feeding system far better and for longer than adding chemicals IMHO.

I thought this was quite well known......even the conspiracy theory of authorities spreading super where psychomush grows,so we can't take um...photo's :wink:

Not real good for soil health overall without the underground mycelia either.Then again I suppose raping the land for profit is better than keeping it healthy.

Pastures would benefit more from natures feeding system far better and for longer than adding chemicals IMHO.

Mate, this guy still uses arsenic to kill termites! He is dog bait happy and has stripped all the trees from within the gully's (is gully a word? the more I look at it the more wrong it looks :bong: )and now all the top soil has washed down into the Burnett river. He is selling it for 1.4 million so lets pass the hat around and see if we can save it. :P