The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
themagicmushroom

"Novelty Chemical" webstore

I'm seriously looking at opening a webstore selling novelty chemicals to the australian market. amongst other things:

phosphorescents, (strontium aluminate, ZnS, elemental metal powders)

chemi-luminescents,

biochemicals [dmaa, 5htp, etc],

mild pyro chems,[KNO3, KMnO4, metallic salts]

"slime" kits,

"chemistry set" supplies.

I'm curious if I need to be licenced to handle any of the specific chemicals i've mentioned? i'm pretty sure they're generally unrestricted, I've seen most of them listed on aussie based retail chemistry sites in the past year.

other potential legal issues?

Lots of potential issues. Don't want to burst your bubble but selling of chems is a tough gig. I'm sure there is someone more knowledgeable on the subject than myself but there are quite a few substances that are scheduled due to being poisonous or precursor substance. This means expensive licenses and you drowning in paperwork. You also have to deal with other sellers and Chinese/ Indian importers. Anyways good luck to you.

I'm happy to support the little guy, keep us up-to-date

Edited by mr me

What an awesome idea, that kinda stuff is pretty hard to find i think you would have a good market.

to be honest [and no offence intended], if you need to ask that question then you're probably not the right person to take on that job. There are so many levels of legislation you need to be FAMILIAR with so that you are aware of changes as they happen rather than when you get arrested or sued. This ranges from import laws covering quarantine, customs, nicnas, TGA, criminal code, to state laws covering drugs, therapeutics, poisons, precursors, food, consumer affairs, packaging, labelling and probably another half dozen acts. There is a reason why many of these substances are only available from large chemical suppliers - with solicitors. That said, if you do your homework and cover all your bases you can probably sell most of these things in some form or another.