The Corroboree
dood

psilocybe subaeruginosa season starts soon!

The best season I remember was 2001 and that year we had heavy early rain followed by two cold snaps and then 6 days of solid rain. They were everywhere. My walk to work id see patches everywhere, get to the train station, more patches, at work at lunchtime in the city in the gardens, more. Crazy season.

Heya, Im am new to Sydney and would love to go hunting, so if anyone would like some company and to teach me the ropes, it would be greatly appreciated.

ive found nothin around oberon or the central west yet.

We've had really strange weather patterns this last couple of years.Tons of rain recently and stinkin hot days,locust and mozzie plagues atm.

Last year I arrived a week early and nothing,then 3 weeks later they were all but done.Usually May where I go....strange indeedy.

Buggered if I know when to go look considering it's a 7hr round trip,tho now the Fly's are out early who knows?

Must wait for the dreams I guess.

I might come for a spin up your way incog, it's been a while and also a good excuse to take the Celica for a blat :lol:

edit: We're getting Fieldy's and puffballs here atm.

Edited by mescalito

Probably time to put the hiking boots on then if they are around in the mountains. Might go for a walk this weekend and see whats around. Always lovely to see them growing I reckon. I will have to have a lil' look back at the thread from last year to see when it was that they were first around as I remember them being pretty early then. We've had stacks of rain over the last while, the town even flooded :)

Anyone in Canberra keen to go have a look when it gets a bit colder? :D

flys are out in droves in the orange/bathurst/oberon area.

unconfimed sightings of subs in orange/bathurst.

i been searchin on weekends but found nuffin yet.

Subs?

Definitely still to hot in the illawarra. Heaps of rain so I am expecting a good season aswell when the temp starts to drop

Will report back when they start coming up in my neck of the woods

Higher lads, higher, ;) temps have been perfect in a few spots around these parts and due to the amount of rain it would not suprise me at all to find some. Hopefully get up the mountains friday if all goes well.

oberons been getting -5's for the last 7 days, AND rain.

just another reason i am jealous of you eastern staters

Its funny how people travel out so far to places to find subs - they grow just as well sometimes in urban areas. Ive never seen my subs anywhere than at a uni in melb. I think there was this 6 square metre area just covered in subs. 4000+ in that small area.

Ive seen them around my area (not this season) in the South Eastern suburbs, they grow in woody areas.. I have had no luck spotting them in pine forests though, I know a very large pine forest around here and have yet to spot any subs growing in that environment.

Went out to a local spot where I know there is an active sub colony but have not seen any developments as of yet. It appears to be too dry for them at this stage, I was wondering what effect would a daily watering on one of these mycelium patches have? Any ideas?

I did get to see some other non-actives though, they were white capped and quite stocky looking things.

Zen Peddler BlueGreenie, your right in that you dont need to travel too far to find any subs, but to find a good patch.. not already harvested might be a little troublesome, and for some of us living in the outer suburbs getting into the city and finding possible colonies might take quite some time, not to mention finding a patch with some still present.

The early bird gets the worm I suppose.

Edited by klip247

I was wondering what effect would a daily watering on one of these mycelium patches have? Any ideas?

I think watering your patch daily is excessive but watering once a week in the warmer periods is plenty enough to encourage mycelial growth.

Last year between Jan-Feb, most of Victoria had a whole month without rain so it seems that p. sub mycelium is quite tolerant. A patch I visit regularly is positioned in full sun and rarely gets any shade. In the summer it seems dry and lifeless but in the winter it turns out to be one of my best producing patches.

If you want to induce fruiting then you'll need to water your patch when the weather is cooler, otherwise you may get nothing. Generally it's good when temperatures are under 10deg at night and 15deg during the day. On one occasion I had pins coming up as a result of some light rain. The weather forecasted no rain for the following days and I was adamant in their survival so I watered them every night for 4 days. As a result they grew larger and faster than the ones I left naturally. So, it definitely helps!

Anyway, it's aways good to try new things!

Here is my patch as of last night... I'm in the process of topping it up with some woodchips. Can't wait! :lol:

post-7115-126924449021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lord Mayonnaise

Mayo its B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!

started my own patch last season so hoping it fruits in the next 4-6 weeks ( maybe being a bit hasty :P )

coming into my 3rd season and hoping for a goodin! i reckon this will be the best of the 3 ive seen so far. fingers crossed!

had the dream 2 nights ago and hit the forums and was shocked to hear reports of finds already! might head out to the peninsula in 2-3 weeks if weather is looking good.

until then i twiddle my thumbs and stalk SAB & Shroomery!!!

best of luck to you all for the season :wave-finger::shroomer:

i reckon we should all get record breaking finds!

sweet spot mayo.

very nice. and brilliant pic too. very nice indeed.

best of luck.

but on the watering front. dont go overboard, i have seen them develop very brittle stems after periods of LOTS of rain. so while a nice healthy splash is good, too much is not.

ive seen them develop nice healthy stems from light sprinkles and dew alone. Moss is especially good as i suspect it holds the moistute that helps them grow strong stems.

size is good, but imo not at the price of brittle structure.

cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

I started a little patch at a nearby park with woodchips via the corregated cardboard method that someone (cant remember whom! ) posted, it was already colonising the chip bed for about a metre squared perimeter late last winter and its right near an automatic sprinkler so im hoping it got some tasty hydrogens and oxygens over the summer,

i was tossing up as whether or not to sprinkle crushed ice over the patch late at night in between cold / rainy weather, or in conjuction with.

im assuming that this would help with the temperature ( atleast till it all melts ) and also with constant moisture over the cold nights, thus improving the size and frequency of the fruits.

any thoughts?

Cheers guys. By the way, the load of woodchips were provided by the council, they just conveniently dumped it next to my patch. :wink:

Good point Obtuse, too wet is no good.

i was tossing up as whether or not to sprinkle crushed ice over the patch late at night in between cold / rainy weather, or in conjuction with.

It's probably not necessary as the cold weather is just around the corner, but if you're really keen, try it on just a small area of your patch. Your greatest challenge will be keeping the temperatures consistent, once the ice melts the environment will return to it's original condition which may not be favourable to your mushrooms. You may have better luck excavating a small section and keeping in the fridge. There at least you have greater control of the elements.

Edited by Lord Mayonnaise

Looks like Melbourne is in for some light rain over the w.e although.. temps will be in the mid-high 20's, interesting... anyone in Melb spotted any subs yet?

ALAS! it is true, damn my obsessive impatience.

dont even have any herb to pass the time :'(

whilst this is still generally a shit-talking thread until photographed finds start popping up like pimples on a twelve year old.

did anyone manage to find and Pan Subbs in between the seasons? i found 3 over like 2 weeks of strolling/grass-gazing.

maybe i'm not looking in the right places, or maybe i need glasses :P

*edit spelling*

Edited by divinersage

Hey guys this is my first post:) Been hunting for a few months now, researching and the likes. Went up to oberon 2 weeks ago.. Found Many Amanita Muscaria's... Found no subs.. I know the conditions are just not right yet, but I am really excited. If anyone can help me with tips, or would like to come with me, that would be awesome.

Hey guys this is my first post:) Been hunting for a few months now, researching and the likes. Went up to oberon 2 weeks ago.. Found Many Amanita Muscaria's... Found no subs.. I know the conditions are just not right yet, but I am really excited. If anyone can help me with tips, or would like to come with me, that would be awesome.

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the forums!

There is plenty of good information here and lots of people who can possibly point you in the right direction.

There is a camping event happening soon at a favoured spot, not sure of the date but April sometime, that sounds like a blast!

Peace,

Sam

Well,

still too dry in Tas where i am.

bit of rain last night, but we are having unusaully high temps for tassie during the day for this time of year so it isnt helping.

looking like another month before it gets wet enough and we get consistent cold temps for growth.

getting a few autumn species popping up but nothing too exciting yet.

cheers, Ob.