The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Summer rainfall totals

I don't know if anyone else is interested in this, but i like these kinds of statistics.

Breaking Weather News - Summer rainfall round-up

Josh Fisher, 28 February 2010

Most of the capital cities saw near or above average rainfall amounts during this summer after after wet second half. The exception to this was Perth, with almost no rain.

In the east, recent deluges have helped Brisbane and Sydney blast past the average summer rainfalls. Brisbane's average summer rainfall is 349.6mm and this year they saw 484.8mm, but last summer was also a wet one with 535.8mm.

Sydney typically sees around 297.8mm over the summer, but this year they climbed 44mm above that to 342.2mm. This only made it Sydney's wettest summer in two years, after 438.6mm fell in 2008.

Across the south, falls were closer to average with Melbourne picking up 140.6mm, compared to their summer average of 154.4mm. However, this did make it their wettest in four years.

Adelaide saw a wet start to the summer before rainfalls tapered off, they received 57.8mm compared to the average 64mm, but it was the wettest in four years.

Perth remained bone dry through the summer and their average is usually 34.8mm. This was easily their driest summer in the 65 years of records.

For Darwin, they tallied 1516.4mm this summer, over the average of 915.5mm and their wettest summer in 12 years.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2010

Edited by Micromegas

Yeah for some reason I'm a weather nut...I'm always looking at it and love digging up stats and telling people about them...they must think I'm rogerz or something.. :wacko:

Interesting about Sydney having more rain that last year, in my mind I had thought we had slightly less, but I think I'm lumping spring in with summer cause for me it seemed we had a very dry hot spring this year and all the rain came late in summer. Was watching the races yesterday at home and the race caller mentioned that the summer average for Geraldton was 43c...damn I thought that is flippin hot or what, seems to me that South Australia is the hottest place in Summer in OZ followed by Perth then Brisbane.

Bookmark BOM Bureau Of meteorology for all your fun weather needs and stats.

Have had quiet alot of rainfall here this summer, yes the averages may be all the same in some places but fuck averages, if ya get all ya av rainfall in one or 2 hits during summer its a waste really but if that av is due to 5 or 6 diff lots of rain over summer then it makes all the diff. I remember walkin up my street mid feb and sayin to myself "fuck me, its green as at the moment". Now i know this year here water restrictions were eased and that means ppl watering their lawns but even roadsides and paddocks are green when the past few years its been a barren dust bowl. Some years hot and dry, some years hot and wet, some years mild and dry, some years mild and wet. I really dont care myself, the world keeps turning regardless of how i think the weather is gon turn out and what/who is to blame if it doesnt meet my expectations, all i know is its gon be the best damn sub season in years around here.