The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

dark room

heard a couple things on radio national that refered to this.

first a fellow talking about tibetan spiritual traditions saying dark room is quite common in tibet.

he reminded me that the classic example of this is the hermit in the cave.

he said special dark huts were built in tibet.

he stated just being in a dark room was beneficial and that meditation was enhanced.

i think it was another program which spoke of autistics who found comfort sitting in wardrobes.

i want to build a dark room but fear it would look like a grow room from outside.

tried sitting in a wardrobe in a dark bedroom....this is definitely an option to look into.......

t s t .

you should look into buying a mindfold. it's like a blind fold thing with an area for your eyes so you can open them and still be in complete darkness. alex grey designed them to be used for journeys. they are quite comfortable but you still know you are wearing something....but after a while you totally forget. for me its the only way i can get complete darkness. there is always a light coming from somewhere, sneaking through some gap under a door or between cracks..

anyway haven't done much experimenting with mindfolds on their own but am sure after long periods interesting things would happen.

Interesting you talking of a Dark Room on this plane as it is also where you launch from when you reach the Astral one :wink:

How 'bout getting a large 2-door fridge box from Hardly Normals?

It's free and "best of all no more clutter....it just folds up and voila, slip it under your bed ready for your next workout!"..(too many late nights :lol:)

ive always found sensory deprivation not to work for me if i block sight and sound then touch and smell become more of a distraction than sight and sound were to begin with

a mate of mine had a big watertank that when you were inside with the door/hatch closed it was compleately dark

might wanna do somthin about ventilation if you were gonna be in it for a while though

ive always wished for a pill that could kill all my senses temporerally, but i guess thats just cheating

ive always wished for a pill that could kill all my senses temporerally, but i guess thats just cheating

120mg Diazapam.....but that's cheating :wink:

when on LSD or shrooms people talk about 'closed eye visuals', but many have never experienced dark room visuals.

i can remember being in a toilet at a police station w/the light off seeing all kinds ov visuals, thinking i'm way too fucked to be interviewed; yet step out ov the dark & everything was pretty low level again...it doesn't take a strong dose to work well in the dark.

Also it doesn't need to be complete dark to work well...i can remember going into an outside toilet to wash my face from a tap, it was pitch black except for a beam ov light that was shining on the flowing water producing a spinning, dancing, fractal kaleidoscope ov visuals.

Dark room visuals are the most excellent of all the visuals...fuck they blow my mind man, have seen full on explosions of colour and "fairgrounds" appear and materialize right in front of me, mythical insects and fairies flying around and landing on me...oh for sure dark room stuff is just insane, particularly on liquid...wooooot.

Sensory or at least eye deprivation is a serious psychedelic enhancer and I'm not talking about a proper dark either, as it's quite hard to find somewhere totally dark, but just the experieneces I've had have been extraordinary to say the least in very dark rooms/places...a couple of under the blankets in bed sessions have had me laughing my head of at the action that has come forth in such a small space.

dark rooms or space = potentiation of psychedelics in a very different way.

An A. colubrina seed enema in a dark room really brought the bufo to life. Lots of flowing wavy lines that were somehow geometric (similar to a smooth EEG readout), my doona turned into a huge anaconda, black (more like Dark Matter/matter cut-out) bats flew around the room. There was almost no indication of visuals with the light on or even low.

I'm very keen to get my hands on a mindfold like HolyM mentioned. I went with my mum to have a go in a floatation tank but unfortunately got the salty water in my eyes so I couldn't relax properly. Mum fell asleep :rolleyes:

I have a pair of ski goggles painted black on the inside and outside of the lens.

Works great. Can wear them with my eyes open and they block out all light. they are really well padded so are comfortable and arent too invasive if worn for long periods.

I'd recomend to anyone who likes sensory deprivation

Interesting, relevant link: http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/11/ganzfeld_hallucinati.html

You can simulate the Ganzfeld procedure in your own home by taping two half ping-pong balls over your eyes and listing to the radio tuned to static in an evenly lighted room.

It seems like the lack of light (or sound) is not important as much as the lack of patterns is.