The Corroboree
Chiral

Psychotria 'Nexus'

another question is psychotria "moon" a similar hybreed?

the moon looks to me to have some psychotria carthagensis in her, thats why i ask.

I've got a couple of these guys. They grow beautifully indoors, in pots.

Very thirsty as the weather warms up. If I don't water everyday they droop and lose leaves. The constant dampness seems to also be attracting fungus gnats, unfortunately. I'm going to move them outside in the next couple of weeks... I've also got 2 small P. viridis plants and the Nexus seem to grow 3-4 times faster, especially now that it's spring.

excellent, good to hear thanks man

I've also got 2 small P. viridis plants and the Nexus seem to grow 3-4 times faster, especially now that it's spring.

that's not true!

i would say, nexus can grow at times 15% faster, than other viridis, but even that only happens, if your growing conditions are rather poor.

if grow them under good conditions, there is not much of a difference!

nexus is just lower in activas, thats the main difference to viridis.

all the way down sydney marcels nexus might very well grow 3-4 times faster, but given more tropical conditions the viverdis would do much better here in Mackay my nexus grow much better than my viverdis but the v Im keeping as a house plant seems to be pumping.

A friend told me back in April that a brew made up from 90grm fresh nexus leaves and 5grm rue produced glowing experiences comparable to around 50g viverdis however the brew on this occasion caused less visual but more introspective qualaties (could have been mindset).

perhaps one could incorporate tryptophan powder into the nutrients regime a month or so befor an intended harvest to increase the alkaloid profile of nexus?

might very well grow 3-4 times faster,

lissen all, this is not a space for claims made in a way, like at hairshampoo commercials!!

i don't know anything in the plant world which would grow 3-4 times faster than any other plant in the same species!!!!

the time frame is important here, to what do you relate your 4 times faster?

to the life span of the plant?

let's say, 2 times faster means, plant V is 1m tall and plant N is 2m tall.

so 3-4 times faster means, plant V is 1m and Plant N is 4m, thats clearly not the case.

psychotria carthagenensis/alba, do better in the cold, that's all, but it doesn't grow 4 times faster than viridis.

as fact, carthagenensis claim to be far less fuzzy to grow than viridis is totaly overstated.

she can, and will die easy aswell, if not cared for proper (too cold).

Ok, I see your point PH. When I said that the Nexus grows 3-4 times faster, I was refering to the output of new leaf pairs. In the amount of time it takes my Viridis to output a new set of leaves (measured from first glimpse of new growth to complete separation), my Nexus has done this at least 3 times. However, I'd like to re-emphasise that the Nexus are slightly older plants and that these growth differences have only been observed in the colder months and early spring (the Viridis I got at the beginning of winter). It may be that summer will level out the growth speeds.

I love the Nexus plants but I'm not trying to throw soap commercial propaganda out there. These are just my humble, amateur's observations. :) The true test will be after several years, after having grown them outside, and after having someone experientially compared the two.

Edit: double post, sorry.

Edited by Marcel

i don't know anything in the plant world which would grow 3-4 times faster than any other plant in the same species!!!!

Actually, no. I have been looking after two Humulus lupulus plants, one is Cascade & the other Williamette. Rhizomes were the same size and age, they are both in identical conditions nd placement, The cascade is shooting multiple bines to about 7 foot(i grows a few inches a day), and the Williamette, while nice & healthy, is less than a foot high.

• Like 1

Ever heard of heterosis (hybrid vigour) PH? I don't have an opinion of 'Nexus' either way, but it's possible the hybrid has more vigour than either of its parents.

• Like 2

that's not true!

i would say, nexus can grow at times 15% faster, than other viridis, but even that only happens, if your growing conditions are rather poor.

if grow them under good conditions, there is not much of a difference!

nexus is just lower in activas, thats the main difference to viridis.

i suspect from talking to someone with reasonable experience that nexus has similar or even greater amts of actives, they are just different.70% the spice content of viridis plus opioid and nmda agonist alkaloids.....

t s t .

the time frame is important here, to what do you relate your 4 times faster?

to the life span of the plant?

let's say, 2 times faster means, plant V is 1m tall and plant N is 2m tall.

so 3-4 times faster means, plant V is 1m and Plant N is 4m, thats clearly not the case.

Firstly, Nexus is not the same species as viridis. As is well known it is a hybrid between 2 species of Psychotria, of which viridis is one of the parents. They are of the same Genus.

Re different growth rates within species, I have a couple of cultivars of Salvia nemorosa and 1 of them has very poor vigor when compared to the other. The vigorous one would grow more than 3-4 times faster than the slow one easily. In seed grown plants there is heaps of diversity and trait differences, whereas is a nursery full of potted shrubs the plants all look and grow the same because they are all clones of the same plant.

Also, plant growth rates can't be compared by comparing their respective heights. Plants don't only grow up they also grow out, so the only accurate way to compare grow rates is in vegetative mass over time while grown under the same conditions.

Hybrid vigor as trip suggests would most certainly be the culprit re increased growth rates. A good way to compare would be to grow a Nexus along side each of its parents in the respective ideal conditions of each parent.

hmm, i haven't observed any hybreed virgor with my nexus.

hmm, and tantra we know that, the profile of the compounds is different with nexus, i would not call, less, more. it just has more of some, (maybe only to me), less interressting compounds.

My nexus has just started flowering.. Woohoo...

may i suggest, you leave some of the seeds, on the bush for as long as possible and take pictures. because this plant is a hybreed, it would be good to see the color of the (over)mature berries. one could than say, it berries look more carthagenensis like (darker red) or viridis like (brighter red berries).

Sure will - I am very interested to see how it all pans out.