The Corroboree
Chiral

Psychotria 'Nexus'

Anyone bought any of these "new" plants...?

They are a carth and viridis cross, available from one of the ethno vendors in oz.

just curious if anyone has got any and although probably to early to tell, weather there is any benefits from the cross.

Edited by planthelper
added tag

Interesting report here. Seems it does well in temperate climes.

i've ordered some and they should arrive tomorrow? or so. Sounds promising!

Hi all

The leaves on the P."nexus" look a little smaller then P.viridis. Although both plants are still small, the "nexus" seems to be growing quicker, could be other factors though.

Ive also got a few P.carth seedlings going so it will be interesting to see the difference in the 3 once they all a bit bigger.

Cheers

Procasterz..

I did have 5, my dog ate 1 whole one and all the leaves off two others im desperatley trying to revive. so he must like em.

still 2 healthy rooted cuttings to work with, but still early days. the leaves are much thicker than vivirdis.

I have had some for a couple of months and they are growing well,comparative to Carth,which was the whole rational for the cross.

Got some Viridis at the same time,but no way did it make it thru the heatwave that week.

Fingers crossed that there will be decent activity.It will open up a pathway,that in my climate is currently closed.

I imagine it will still be a year or two before anyone can breed up enough for a brew and debrief.

sorry if of topic a bit but i have the op to ask some masters.

my viridis is growing very slow (is that normal?) and the leaves are going brown on the ends and the new growth leaf shape is slightly twisted and just not right.

my cebil, vocanga, HBW, and other tropical plants are going fine considering where i live.

I have sugar cane mulch around the base of my viridis but shes still not happy

help

So who wants to send me a plant or two?? :P

sorry if of topic a bit but i have the op to ask some masters.

my viridis is growing very slow (is that normal?) and the leaves are going brown on the ends and the new growth leaf shape is slightly twisted and just not right.

my cebil, vocanga, HBW, and other tropical plants are going fine considering where i live.

I have sugar cane mulch around the base of my viridis but shes still not happy

help

viridis is not the most easy plant to cultivate, and can be unforgiving if horticultural mistakes happen.

they are relative slow growers, but brown ends are a sign of bad horticultural practice, and the twisted leaves are a sign of a sapsucking pest.

don't let them dry out too much and don't ever keep them constantly (soggy) wet.

slow grow is a sign of too little fert, so fertilize the plant just a little bit.

for the pest which curls the leaves, either spray with pyrethrum or neem, or mechanicly remove all of the critters.

good luck!

thanks planthelper,

yep found some little nasties right inside where the new leaves were coming out. sneaky!

Wow I didnt know viridis were so sensitive, I left mine in some bad weather early on and she died. I buried her with a crow feather and asked her to return with the next one.

I would be interested to see how they go in hot dry climate, I have 2 Psychotria carthagensis plants that i picked up last summer just before we got the heatwave most of OZ received

They both flowered & the potted one has thrown out some new growth recently but the dry arid climate seems to slow things up.

ill eventually turn the back pergola into a greenhouse but have been putting off trying to grow viridis because of my dry climate so hopefully this new X breed will fair a little better down this way

Edited by mac

would we expect it to be less active than viridis, or at a similar level. because it sounds like it has a huge advantage in certain areas, and if it has a similar cintent (i am not all about content) then it would give it even more goodnessness in my eyes.

On erowid carthagensis had more dmt and less other alkaloids than viridis in one case. so the hybrid has a good chance?

that trip report was good.

PS. should i be talking bout such things here, dont wanna get too much bad press

Edited by ref1ect1ons

I would be interested to see how they go in hot dry climat

it's possible to grow viridis under hot and dry conditions (mist them twice a day), but as some people even struggle to keep them growing happy in better suited climats, it gets even trickier to keep them growing happily.

RE: Hot and dry climates

You've got to keep them tented and or indoors and out of the wind.

Expect a lot of leaf deformities due to low humidity.

I've seen some BEAUTIFUL plants in Southwestern US greenhouses.

hey mac,

just wondering how your psycho's are going?

we would be in similar climate and my viridis is having a hissyfit!

iam in the process of building a hothouse here as winter gets freakin cold.

the weather is perfect here atm....17-35c all my other tropics are going ok atm. iboga, vocanga, cebil, hbw, caapi, but viridis........oh dear. yep, dosnt like wind, low humidity, bugs, to much sun, to much water, cold weather, my cooking, the victorian government, bad jokes....you name it, it hates it!

am interested on nexus, alba or carthaginensis grow reports from anyone thats not in a tropical climate

Having the same problem with my Viridis. No growth and twisted leaves. Just received a few nexus which I'm hoping survive the cold winter. Does anybody think it's worth building a small 'hothouse' type setup with plastic sides just to keep them safe?

I only just discovered this new hybrid today myself. I was checking on my mate Darcy's shop, as I haven't looked at his stock in a while, and discovered this little gem.

This is such a great idea and could well be a valuable addition to the Ethnobot community. Only time will tell, I guess.

Would love to hear people's exp. with this plant. Growing/caring and otherwise.

i personaly find carthagensis non active, so a cross with this plant, is to me, posed with some evantual disadvatiges.

i grew viridis in many different climats,

why would i grow a dud, just because it's a little bit less fuzzy to grow?

not to say nexus is a dud, but i say one of it's parents is!

hey mac,

just wondering how your psycho's are going?

am interested on nexus, alba or carthaginensis grow reports from anyone thats not in a tropical climate

Psychotria carthagensis dose ok here in a shady sheltered corner of the yard.

I may try a couple of viridis next but im fairly sure its far too dry here without a decent shade house or humidity tent..

Edited by mac

I only just discovered this new hybrid today myself. I was checking on my mate Darcy's shop, as I haven't looked at his stock in a while, and discovered this little gem.

This is such a great idea and could well be a valuable addition to the Ethnobot community. Only time will tell, I guess.

She's active alright!

Benz, ur bacc. Long time no see. Good to see u after all this time.

:)

N

well my viridis is finally starting to show some happiness.

inside, no wind, misting 3 times a day, and keep the freakin bugs of it. Bugs seem to love this plant.

So has anyone else compared viridis with nexus to see if the nexus has similar content? Just interested as i prefer to have the more magical one in my garden :P