The Corroboree
Eluna

Acacia Acuminata

I couldnt really bring that many little shrubs in over the winter, even in 9 cm square pots I'd have to not graft any cacti next year to have enough space for that.

I dont just get frosts, it easily gets 20 below 0 on the coldest night and some years at least one week will be below freezing all the time without a 1 minute break. I'm planning for massive plant losses, counting on it even- I dont have room for 72 trees :wink: What you say is encouraging in a way tho, it sounds like if any survive the first winter they will be quite likely to survive the second and third. If I can get any survivors to seed, the next generation may be easier.

I guess I should try to get them growing a few months earlier than I planned tho. I could make room for that.

I think they are really going to struggle in that climate through winter, you might have a few survive but I don't like your chances.

Are you on the grid ?

If you are you might have to look into providing a heat source to keem them going.

A few surviving to seed is all I need :)

I wont entirely abandon them to hail and snow drifts, I'm figuring on mounding dirt up around the bottom 5 cm of stem and putting a miniature hoop house row cover over with thin plastic sheeting on. Thicker translucent plastic covering would raise the interior by a full USDA zone, the thin stuff will at least buffer out the nightly extreme low and as I only get 2-3 cm of precip per month in the winters row-covered ground doesnt freeze to a sheet of ice.

And I toyed with the idea of putting christmas lights in there to turn on for the nights of the coldest three weeks, but my dog might chew the cord so I doubt I will.

I'm fully aware I'll be risking total failure, but where would we be if no one risked total failure now and then? :wink:

If it fails I'll mostly just loose a bit of effort, if I succeed my country will gain these Acacias!

You might go OK with that setup. Getting them started early and hardened to full sun before summer will allow them to put on some good growth in the first year giving them a better chance of survival.

Maybe hedge your bets and keep a few in pots and overwinter them inside the first year. They don't need need very big pots, so they won't encroach on your space too much. I've found 1 year old trees seem to go to sleep for a while if planted in the ground and potted specimens the same age grow a lot quicker. They're not really asleep though, I think the young ones put a lot of their energy into root development when planted out early.

A two year old potted plant is normally much bigger than one planted out in the first season and doesn't seem to have that hiatus when planted out.

Good information to know, thanks :)