The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
geezer0

Catha edulis cuttings

Hi peeps

I Wanted to find out the best way to take cuttings of catha (white,red,and narrow)I have tried to just put some in soil with no luck :(

So hows it done? Best Soil/medium ?

Time taken to root?

Air layering ?

Woodie bits or fresh tips?

Etc etc etc

Cheers people

G

Hi peeps

I Wanted to find out the best way to take cuttings of catha (white,red,and narrow)I have tried to just put some in soil with no luck :(

So hows it done? Best Soil/medium ?

Time taken to root?

Air layering ?

Woodie bits or fresh tips?

Etc etc etc

Cheers people

G

Notoriously difficult (at least in my exp.) but I think planthelper has a method.

Hi Geezer

Im trying to strike some red at the moment i have one that has taken by layering i dont now haw long it took to root as i just scraped the stem a bit pulled it down into the soil and put a rock on top I didnt check until months later and it had plenty of roots.

To be safe it then went under lights in a propigation box and is going great

I have also had a number of cuttings in the box as well for a few weeks now and have lost about half the rest are still hanging in there but no new growth as yet

The cuttings that were a bit more woody seem to be the best

All a planted in seed raising mix after a dunk in clonex

I am going to keep trying differant ways as i have an old plant that has to be trimed so material isnt a problem for me

Best of luck

Got

Didn't u attent T's talk at EGA? tisk tisk

Was most informative upon khat prop. :P

Dig down a little below the surface of the main plant and get a root cutting, just be patient they can take a little bit of time to shoot new life, for example 3- 6 months depending on circumstances.

close to the main plant, shove in ur sharp kitchen knife and pull it out to outside of the pot. Do this in several places. Idea being that u damage the roots and cause them to sucker. Then just dig up the suckers with rootsystems intact.

Peace

With the right technique they are easy as pie!

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12455&view=&hl=catha edulis&fromsearch=1

please use aswell the search engine, as we have discussed taking cuttings of this plant...

it's a fairly easy cutting to strike, and is made just like other cuttings...

3-4 nodes most leaves removed/reduced,

semi hardwood,

high moisture enviroment (softdrink bottle glasshouse or brocoli foam box with a sheet of glass on top),

might take more than 5 weeks to take good root.

if it's too cold they will not strike,

place in a bright spot but avoid too much direct sunlight, good luck!

In the past I've gotten generally 90%+ strike rate for both red broad leaf and narrow leaf varieties... they aren't hard to propagate as long as you do it right.

Naja's advice on taking suckers is what I usually do because it's just way easy.

Otherwise PH's advice is spot on.

*Semi-hardwood (and semi-hardwood rooting gel)

*3-4 nodes ("2 to root, 1 to shoot" is the general root of thumb but I'd opt for going 4 nodes all up)

*filtered sunlight is ideal

*humidity environment is good i.e. mini greenhouse or the soft-drink greenhouse.

Growing medium I recommend 1:4:1 (pre-moistened)peat moss:prop-sand:perlite... if you can get proper coarse grade sand which I never usually see at retail nurseries then just 1:4 peat:sand.

Be sure to use a squat pot as well and of course do not take cuttings during flower

Indigo Surprise-

In the past I've gotten generally 90%+ strike rate for both red broad leaf and narrow leaf varieties... they aren't hard to propagate as long as you do it right.

Are you doing the narrow leaf with cuttings or by suckers?

Indigo Surprise-

Are you doing the narrow leaf with cuttings or by suckers?

By referring to strike rate percentage I mean the successful rooting of cuttings that I took and not propagation by suckers.

However to answer your question, yes I have propagated the narrow leaf variety by suckers - but I found that it grows more tree like than the red leaf... which instead seems to grow by suckering out like crazy, and thus the amount of material to propagate narrow leaf variety from suckers is substantially less in my experience.

• Like 1

Naja's advice on taking suckers is what I usually do because it's just way easy.

Otherwise PH's advice is spot on.

*Semi-hardwood (and semi-hardwood rooting gel)

*3-4 nodes ("2 to root, 1 to shoot" is the general root of thumb but I'd opt for going 4 nodes all up)

*filtered sunlight is ideal

*humidity environment is good i.e. mini greenhouse or the soft-drink greenhouse.

Growing medium I recommend 1:4:1 (pre-moistened)peat moss:prop-sand:perlite... if you can get proper coarse grade sand which I never usually see at retail nurseries then just 1:4 peat:sand.

Be sure to use a squat pot as well and of course do not take cuttings during flower

seemed to strike readily from any type of cutting when in a very sandy mix for me