The Corroboree
Chiral

Ozzie cactus names..clones and varieties list...?

arent MBN95 ans super bridge one and the same also known as crazy jane? and the melted wax is bruce if my memory serves me correctly.

I am unsure of this, I have posted a pic of the super bridegsii anyone got a pic of MBN95

i sent a pic of a lil one to chiral, tarn is the one to ask but he hasnt been around for awhile.

semi monstrose bridge not unlike bruce.

Yeah I'm sure PD is right that MBN95 has also gone under the name super bridgesii & crazy jane. & Also what Rev was calling melted wax for some time turned out to be Bruce.

This is the point I was making earlier with the Lance Super Pedro predicament- their are bound to be synonyms, maybe we should have a 'Possibly synonymous with' & a 'AKA' field in the official thread.

Nice pics all.

Edited by shruman

VS that one u don't have a name for is surely Eileen..?

anyone.... :scratchhead:

nah its not eileen man different to eileen. it certainly make one :scratchhead:

Edited by VelvetSiren

Info i posted a while back re Mum & Dad clone

M&D clone

and Bruce

Bruce

I'd love to see photo's of other clones that are of similar size! Sure beats my tip cuts!!

great! now i have to get a Mum&Dad lol

Ill probably put a heap up for sale soon, keep an eye out in the plant trade/sales forum.

(sorry for shameless plug, bit off topic...)

Ill probably put a heap up for sale soon, keep an eye out in the plant trade/sales forum.

(sorry for shameless plug, bit off topic...)

hehe awesome thanks.....great thread! really enjoying the photos fellas :worship:

Yeah I'm sure PD is right that MBN95 has also gone under the name super bridgesii & crazy jane. & Also what Rev was calling melted wax for some time turned out to be Bruce.

This is the point I was making earlier with the Lance Super Pedro predicament- their are bound to be synonyms, maybe we should have a 'Possibly synonymous with' & a 'AKA' field in the official thread.

Nice pics all.

Yeh prolly not a bad idea at all shruman. :)

I still maintain "melted wax" is not bruce. It seems more like Kai.

I coined the name "Bruce" from my collection point, and i have never seen any morphing, rib distortion at all, ever.

I do have a ten year old Bunnings bridgesii that is very similar to Kai and the melt. Constantly morphing dropping ribs or melting. Nothing like the robust fatness of Bruce.

The cuts i got sent labled as bruce have been morphing/dropping/adding ribs, seems someone must have their labels mixed up lol. Im pretty sure my cuts came from SAu, was some time ago tho.

post-1464-126407769462_thumb.jpg

I cant recall who said that melted wax was bruce, anyone got an idea?

DSCN0468.JPG

DSCN0468.JPG

Okay I need to know is there any named plants that start with the letter "A" or are simply numbered...trying to put the complete list in alphabetaical order is all and just need those bits of info otherwise it will start with Bruce...

err edit that...Bogan would be first I think..

also need pics of "ben" please.

Edited by Chiral

wouldnt ben be first?

awesome thread! :worship:

Edited by Bush_Turkey

Well i collected Bruce in the Riverlands, and "apparently" Rev had/has the same cut. He called it melt. If you look at the Bruce mother plant, there is no melt whatsoever, on old or regrowth. Its possible he may have driven out that way once but im not sure. Still doesnt explain the melt Vs huge difference in diameter Bruce is by far the fattest of any bridge i have in my collection, with no melt/morphing. More like a big scop in diameter. I must say tho, "competition" and wanting to be "one up" on people can make some weird things happen, if you know what i mean. I do have a limb of Bruce waiting to be cut up, might offer it in chucks soon too. Time do do some cuttin... :)

Hope that clears things up.

I thought about it for a bit last nite and im sure i got my cuts of bruce from Strangebrew.

post-1464-126411441048_thumb.jpg

DSCN0464.JPG

DSCN0464.JPG

Just had a thought.... In the garden i have the "bruce" in all the plants are growing with extreme vigour, psycho0 has been adding and dropping ribs which is uncommon for psycho0 so maybe its something to do with the soil in the garden here? different conditions can cause extreme variations.

I have 2 Bruces one I got off you PD and it looks like a normal bridgesii no semi monstrosing yet, the other I got off apoth and that one is fully semi monstrose. It is so hard to ID these clone when they warp and change as they look like totally different plants.

Even the most experienced collector cant id some of these clones unless they are named. Some like elieen are easily identified. I have a post in the id thread and I dont think anyne can tell me what the 3 clones in the pic are...

I reckon dropping ribs and morphing/melting is a bridgesii trait throughout the whole family, it seems to come and go across so many of them I'm thinking it's inherent to the species.

anyone got a picture of "ben"...downloading images from SAB in posts.. is a pain now for some reason, they all come down pixelated and you have to download before you open the image other wise it won't let you...I'll try the gallery more instead.

Edited by Chiral

Rev on melted wax/Bruce

"afaik

what i had as metled wax bridge

turns out to be bruce

when its grown hard it goes monstrose

when it gets the good times it goes regular

i have a few still

and still breeding them up

not displaying any monstrosity

but all pups from a monstrose section"

"well my melted wax clone came from the namer of the bruce clone

and he told me straight that it was bruce

the dinkum oil

maybe a year or 2 after id been going on about this melted wax form

he sends me an email saying - its bruce, it does that, but only sometimes

my experience was that when it was in nutrient poor contitions or in a pot it did what it did

but when i put it in ground with rich compost, it reverted

when poor it would grow almost exactly 30cm, then go mosntrose

sit a while

and then break out and grow another foot, mostrose

sit

and so on"

"my melted wax bridgesii whic i now know is bruce

did nothing but monstrose in pot

but since it went in a fertile patch of earth its switched to fast fat growth

with not an inkling of monstrosity

im going to plant out my 4 ribbed clones and see what they do"

http://australianethnobotany.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=195&p=8448&hilit=+melted+bridgesii#p8448

http://australianethnobotany.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2844&p=32064&hilit=+melted+bridgesii#p32064

I have a feeling SB may be able to shed some light on this also.

Yeah sharxx the more you learn about them generaly the less likely you are to handout ID's :P espescialy from photos. It takes years of watching all stages of growth in all types of conditions before you can realy start to ID clones. Oh & before about the capitals I meant species not clone name Trichocereus bridgesii, just being picky, while I'm at it are we using Tricho (bridgesii) or Echinopsis (peruviana) :P

Edited by shruman

bru.jpg my recently acquired "bruce" dropped rib in new growth :huh:

Ok, Both SB and I collected Bruce from the same location, I dont think SB had named it, after we had a chat re collection point, we realized it was the same. It was then clear that bruce and SB's cut were one in the same.

Your spot on PD, i think soil/nutrient or viral infection is probably the cause of the monstrose effects. Although, my biggie is neglected in a pot and hasnt shown any signs, nor has the cut int he ground.

Soil composition/viral infection is the only thing i can put it down to.

Either way, its a bloody nice, fat, fast bridgesii!

:)

There are some awesome cacti in this thread. Great pics everyone!

Ok, Both SB and I collected Bruce from the same location, I dont think SB had named it, after we had a chat re collection point, we realized it was the same. It was then clear that bruce and SB's cut were one in the same.

Your spot on PD, i think soil/nutrient or viral infection is probably the cause of the monstrose effects. Although, my biggie is neglected in a pot and hasnt shown any signs, nor has the cut int he ground.

Soil composition/viral infection is the only thing i can put it down to.

Either way, its a bloody nice, fat, fast bridgesii!

:)

I have 3 bruce plants, I used to think it was the slowest growing bridgesii as 2 of them simply refused to grow from the tip and just spend all their energy on producing basal pups, but those basal pups are extremely vigorous, the 3rd plant has done a lot of morphing and rib dropping on all pups that have come out of a stump cutting.

post-4860-126413602047_thumb.jpg post-4860-126413798492_thumb.jpg post-4860-126413800512_thumb.jpg post-4860-126413802951_thumb.jpg

Bruce1.JPG

brucesinglebasal.JPG

ribbedbruce.JPG

brucemelted2.JPG

Bruce1.JPG

brucesinglebasal.JPG

ribbedbruce.JPG

brucemelted2.JPG