The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Kava farm

So the laws in regard to kava as far as I know are that you cannot commercially import now, you can still sell it, import small amounts on your person and you can still grow it. So would a kava farm be legal? Growing and selling kava products within Oz.

So the laws in regard to kava as far as I know are that you cannot commercially import now, you can still sell it, import small amounts on your person and you can still grow it. So would a kava farm be legal? Growing and selling kava products within Oz.

I hope so. I am intrigued by the laws regarding kava. I hope that with the research going on at the University of QLD, that it will be regarded as a safe alternative to lots of other pharmaceuticals. I have been an avid Kava user ever since my introduction 18 years ago. I know they have great kava bars in Vanuatu and Hawai, where you can watch the sunset to reggae. At high doses of good kave, ie, that from one of the smaller islands off Vanuatu, it tunes and opens your senses to nature and quietens you. A great alternative to loud music, and drunken meaningless conversations. I still can't understand the governments reasoning in banning kava, since the problems up north have just gotten worse and the economy of the kava growing countries has suffered vastly. High hopes for the future. Anyone who likes kava as much as me and lives in Northern NSW, please get in contact with me as I'm sure it would be posible to get some ceremonies going.

I have no idea about whether you could sell your product or not but i'm pretty sure you can still grow it.

Other, similar looking, piper species are very easy to grow with a little water so maybe just put them in. kava takes a few years to be ready for harvest so i'm sure by then that the government will have realised the error of their ways and lifted current restrictions. Especially if UQ is already doing trials on it.

If the restrictions haven't been lifted, pack the panels of your car and drive to NT, apparently its going for a thousand a kilo since prohibition! What a joke! They'd rather the communities get pissed and bash/rape each other than them getting kava's and fall asleep. Spose there's more tax dollars in alcohol...

rastazungu- your climate says WA whereas your post says NNSW? Do you live in nnsw or just passing through?

your all idiots...can i farm heroin or marijuana? umm the answer is always yes...however do not be deterred if there are side effects...such as paranoia, persistent parasitic annoyances and also maybe slight bodily intoxication.

get real...or realer...and then judge me. cos i rock! all over your face,

i'm not sure about ticket pricing etc but if it really goes for $1000 a kg, and in vanuatu it's more like $50.... wouldn't it be fun and worthwhile for NT locals to visit vanuatu?

Thundeideal, i saw an article where it said 2 guys got caught with $60,000 worth of drugs in the NT and later in the article it was revealed the drugs were kava (60kg). Can' remember specific amount but it was valued at around $1000/kg(by the cops)

TGA kava fact sheet It says here that only preparations are restricted so growing it should be sweet.

You could ring the DPI, they may even have some helpful hints on growing it.

Good luck

EDIT- I can't believe i've replied to this topic twice without reading the first post properly, did not sleep at all last night :rolleyes:. If its sweet to grow one plant then it should be fine to grow 10,000. If you;ve already found all the info on laws then the only issue that i can see for you is lsoing your investment if the government decides to change the laws.

Edited by Smiling Cloud

I still can believe y'all made kava illegal.

Revolution anybody?

I still can believe y'all made kava illegal.

Revolution anybody?

Nah.

I have no idea about whether you could sell your product or not but i'm pretty sure you can still grow it.

Other, similar looking, piper species are very easy to grow with a little water so maybe just put them in. kava takes a few years to be ready for harvest so i'm sure by then that the government will have realised the error of their ways and lifted current restrictions. Especially if UQ is already doing trials on it.

If the restrictions haven't been lifted, pack the panels of your car and drive to NT, apparently its going for a thousand a kilo since prohibition! What a joke! They'd rather the communities get pissed and bash/rape each other than them getting kava's and fall asleep. Spose there's more tax dollars in alcohol...

rastazungu- your climate says WA whereas your post says NNSW? Do you live in nnsw or just passing through?

Yep, better change that. Just came back and looking for a place to live in mullum. Would be great to connect with new crew.

Im still curious why I keep finding references to kava farms in oz, or at least commercial growers?