The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coin

what's the deal with saffron?

it's always reported everywhere that saffron is known to be intoxicating & aphrodisiac, and that in high doses can kill.. yet i've never come across anything more specific.

what's the action here? has anyone experimented with it?

my only experience with strong saffron tea took place after i'd been smoking some herb. i hadn't smoked much at all, but as such, it's not exactly a controlled experiment. anyhow, about twenty minutes later i had rushy-type waves of a character that i've never felt from the herb. this only ebbed & flowed for a few minutes

i haven't repeated this, because i'm content with perfuming well-aged rice...but i am curious

[ 05. September 2004, 23:10: Message edited by: coin ]

Don't know but at woolies it's worth a friggin mint!

They use it to stain rice dishes of all things! LOL

Thinks..*Hmmm I don't really use the pool anymore do I..?*

Due to persistent rumors in the 60's that it was psychoactive, I long ago purchased .5 gram for an exhorbitant price and proceeded to smoke it.

My results were seemingly positive at the time, although I do not remember much else.

I remember an enthusiasm--it was nice.

I do know that I didn't pursue it because all my friends were telling me it was toxic and should not be consumed. I had no information to the contrary (and still don't) so I listened to them, although I have my doubts to this day.

it is a psychadelic.... and actually the most expensive one availible

:)

very expensive

very tasty also tho

i wonder if it was somewhat rare for you then friendly ?

i've seen online, the availability of saffron oil, but i'm not sure if this is distilled or some sort of infusion / attar ?

i don't consider it all that expensive, given the amount used for each dish, and i do use it frequently. sometimes spanish, sometimes kashmiri. this new lot of tasmanian grown saffron is about twice the price of decent quality spanish threads. the kashmiri is about half the price of the spanish, and i find it sweeter & subtler (less acrid) & sometimes more suitable to indian dishes, tho it can't be top grade..i wouldn't think that would be exported.

have you tried dosing saffron smogs?

i wonder what are these toxic doses?

i'll try a tea made from 500mg first.

[ 06. September 2004, 21:36: Message edited by: coin ]

minimum dose is about half a gram, but this depends on quality (see another post here about what to look for).

My experience was mostly that of intoxication (but not toxicity). I had no other substance sin my system at the time, however, I was trying to show a friend an alkaloid extraction and eventually gave up due to inability ot focus (both visually and mentally).

I would not smoke it. I consumed the herb by simply chewing it and swallowing. I presume the chewing can be omitted.

Does anyone know which variety has orange/pink stamens?

I just picked up 3g for $2 at the lebanese grocers and accidently spilt a pinch into my tobacco.

Shit I left the grill on...I'm feeling somewhat content and typing is alittle harder than before the smoke.

I'll try more after dinner.

now that i've checked various empty containers, etc, i realise i got all those prices wrong...

anyway

mesc, is that powdered saffron? that's seems very inexpensive, even compared to a little indian grocerer around here that even sells second-grade cassia bark as cinnamon quills, etc...

3g should be more like five times that price at the very least, for unadulterated saffron ??

it's available in the colour you mention, but maybe it's safflower stamens?? i wouldnt know...

after reading through some of my books on ayurveda, i'll probably end up trying a tea at least 1 gram..that doesn't sound like any troubles

i just have to buy food grade stuff..the guy i buy ayurvedic herbs from is making a killing by standardising (then marking up) all his prices.

torsten, it doesn't sound like it was worth repeating..

I remember liver toxity being mentioned re saffron...

i hope it's not that bad...

Originally posted by coin:

torsten, it doesn't sound like it was worth repeating..

I tried this at the peak of my exploration period, so no, it didn't compare all that well with all the other stuff I was into at the time. I was on a worktrip to europe for a few months and encountered saffron in the same fortnight I had found my first german mushrooms, about 20 rare plants incl E.novo at the local botanic garden, teaching some friends how to extract spice, saw (and ate) the biggest psychoactive cactus collection I've ever seen, and was heading off to amsterdam the following week. So no, saffron did not rate high in comparison. However, without all this background noise I might have paid more attention to it and it is certainly worthy of further exploration. In fact, I am growing a whole heap myself as I figure fresh saffron might be a bit more reliable/potent.

Yeah they're intact stamens and the smell is the same as blue lotus from SAB sweeeeeet and semi-intoxicating.I can't stop smelling them actually :D

After a few nights experimentation I've found it synergises with good ol' tobaccy prolly better than the other common herbal.

I've been suffering from chronic back pain for the past month and last night it was unbearable.I couldn't sit in a position where it would ease up so I added about 10% saffron to a cigarette.Man.. I had pain relief within 10 mins,another 2 cigarettes later and I forgot I had pain at all and felt reasonably stoned and quite relaxed but maybe the stubbie had synergised with it for this effect I'm not too sure yet.

Actually my back is killing me atm so I'll have a cigarette after I eat and report back.

This is exciting indeed :cool:

BTW there was no toxicity noticed at all,in fact I rolled a 50/50 before bed last night and slept well without continuously changing positions from back pain as I have for the last month.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

very interesting!!

Actually I have heard of it being ANTI-carcinogenic. Perhaps you are thinking of safrole?

Sorry for the wait,it deinitely has pain relieving properties no doubt,but the amazing thing is my pangs for alc have subsided noticeably.

After looking into THIQ in particular I found The difference in drinkers , the THIQ hypothesis and The disease concept of alcoholism,so I guess keeping THIQ levels higher would reduce the 'need' for a drink in people with dehydrogenase deficiencies or imbalance.