The Corroboree
Charlie01

How frost resistant are trich's?

Hello all, This is my first entry into the corroboree, although i have been browsing away on here for a few years now. I just wanted to-

1. ask how frost resistant Trichocereus species are (although I'm sure it varies for each genus). As i live a little inland from the coast and we have the occasional small frost. Last year i was able to have them under cover and this year i no longer have that option.

2. I just wanted to show off my small but beautiful cactus collection. There is some T.Scopulicolis T.Pachinoi, T.peruvianus, T. bridgesii oh and T.Bridghesii-psycho among others. Please enjoy.

Thanks you all... Charlie.

post-6998-126309242863_thumb.jpg

Nice collection Charlie!

There as tough as nails mate,mine have been from the highlands to the south west slopes,turned yellow,fallen over and near dried up with no potting mix!

Re-potted,peed on and good as gold :wink:

Yep, hardy as. I put most of my potted ones near the house under a balcony last winter, but now realise I didn't have too. I've now put some in the ground and will leave the rest outside next winter.

My only concern now is ensuring they don't get too much rain/water over winter. Fortunately(?) we don't get much rain here.

They look nice and healthy mate, I like the marbles! :)

*snap on the question about temp's.. I wrote something about that in a different thread this morning lol :) Your collection looks really happy and healthy and I love the marble idea too! I definately going to do that! The only problem is the kids will pinch them!

Thanks guys, :blush: I do give them alot of love..I have had those marbles since i was 6. I Was going to build a green house.. But you have persuaded me to take the lazy option and i'd rather they get full sun in winter anyway. although i still might build one for my other plants.. I have also few not so frost resistant sacred South American plants which i really want to keep safe, some of which are- B. Caapi,a couple of Psychtria's ect. (i can post some pics if you would like)... And some amazing Loph and Trich cross seedlings, some of which are psychoo X superpedro-(a beautiful combo). Thanks Again... I love this forum..

Edited by Charlie01

i had some trichs even survive the english winters outdoors in the windowbox, with temps down to minus 7deg C.

i think they are happier without a glasshouse.

wellcome to the forums!

Edited by planthelper

i had some trichs even survive the english winters outdoors in the windowbox, with temps down to minus 7deg C.

i think they are happier without a glasshouse.

wellcome to the forums!

Thanks for your help planthelper... I might be moving up north for a little while, i have someone that can water my plants, But i just hope it doesn't rain too much in winter for the sake of my cacti. Is root rot a common factor in winter rains??? Thanks for the warm welcome also. Charlie.

Not really just make sure they're well drained or you'll kill'em with kindness:wink:

This fellar was shrunken and yellow,leaning back on the ground until I gave it some water,TLC(and a drop of Ormus!)

post-300-126343873286_thumb.jpg

She recovered in record time which I attribute to the ormus....everything I've used this stuff on works!

...it's a kind of magic B)

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00804.JPG