The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reptyle

Reishi Shroomin

Does anyone have access to propagation material of this wonderful fungus? i am extremely interested...repeat extremely interested.

Língzhī (traditional Chinese: 靈芝; simplified Chinese: 灵芝; Japanese: reishi; Korean: yeongji, hangul: 영지) is the name for one form of the mushroom Ganoderma lucidum.

The word lingzhi, in Chinese, means "herb of spiritual potency" and has also been described as "Mushroom of immortality". Because of its presumed health benefits and apparent absence of side-effects, it has attained a reputation in the East as the ultimate herbal substance.

There are no known side effects on its use.

Historical Chinese records

The "Shen Nong's Herbal Classic", a 2000-year old medicinal Chinese book, considered today as the oldest book on oriental herbal medicine classifies 365 species of roots, grass, woods, furs, animals and stones into three categories of herbal medicine:

The first category, called "superior", includes herbs effective for multiple diseases and are mostly responsible for maintaining and restoring the body balance. They have almost no unfavorable side-effects.

The second category comprises tonics and boosters, for which their consumption must not be prolonged.

The third category must be taken, usually in small doses, and for the treatment of specific ailments only.

Lingzhi ranked number one of the superior medicines, and was therefore the most exalted medicine in ancient times.

Reishi mushrooms have a history dating back over 4000 years when they were considered to be a superior herb that improved health, resistance, longevity, energy and memory. Asian rulers would sent out envoys to seek out old plum trees and there, growing out of the trunk on three out of every ten thousand trees, was the ganoderma lucidum, the reishi mushroom. The Japanese gave it the name Reishi or Mannetake meaning "10,000 year mushroom" and in China and Korea it is known as Ling Chu or Ling Zhi, the mushrooms of immortality and the resurrection plant. Many cultures embraced Reishi's benefits; the Romans considered mushrooms to be 'the food of the Gods', the Egyptians believed them to be 'a gift from Osiris' and the Chinese thought of them as 'the elixir of life'.

The benefits of Reishi mushrooms have been recorded throughout time, appearing in written documents as far back as the Han Dynasty (206B.C. - 8 A.D.). In these documents Reishi was associated with happiness, a good future, good health, longevity and living among the immortals. Reishi was so entrenched as a panacea in ancient Chinese culture that it is the focus of a Chinese fairy tale, "The White Snake." In this fairy tale the heroine, in an attempt to save her lover's life, tries to steal a Reishi plant from the Gods.

this mushroom is considered one of the most important logevity herbs. will be getting some of this very soon from the herbalist.

I need to do some plates soon, so i could always help you out if you want, as i have a culture.

or watertrade or worowa might be able to help you out.

but yes very interesting fungi, with a lot of health benefits it seems.

cheers, Obtuse.

I used to grow it for personal use and used to drink the tea.

I can also get it fairly easily from my local asian supermarket $7 a bag.

I still have the culture in storage if your into fungi growing

Edited by watertrade

Totally...overjoyed that it is in Aus...and its response time is beyond compare...

I have a fair few giant logs that'd be perfecti for some nice plugging...

how much wood mass would you say would be apt. per person?

per person...

per person...

per person...

really? so there is a fair bit of experience growing this "herb"

what do i have to do to get my share of this?

do u think it would grow on life Macca tree's?

i'll get back to you with details on actually personally acquiring this product...

I own the Gnostic Sacrament business...if anyone is interested in providing product...grow me some reishi. Aus styleeeeee...

I have a fair few giant logs that'd be perfecti for some nice plugging...

how much wood mass would you say would be apt. per person?

its hard to say, depending on how much you want to take. in my experience it only really grows in the warmer months in Canberra. big logs would produce slowly but for a long time. you might also wait a few years for them to fruit. there as easy and quick ways to fruit them just for fun like on rolled up newspaper. it still takes at least a few months though.

really? so there is a fair bit of experience growing this "herb"

I don't many people have grown it in Australia. Its not hard to grow it just take patience ( or forgetfulness in my case)

what do i have to do to get my share of this?

I occasionally give plates of edible fungi away in the mycology forum. I could probably send you a slant or similar if you like but sounds like obtuse is making up some new plates anyway ;)

I also don't know what a maccas tree is.

live macadamia tree's...

supposedly this fungus fruits in logs after 2 or so years...and it's well suited to subtropical and slightly temperate regions...

sounds complete.

Well...should i send you a PM? i would definitely be interested in getting some spores and or live culture if possible...

watertade?

obtuse?

elsewise, i can most likely pay cash money money...

i am suspecting you could grow it from cultures started with the Red reishi spore powder available on many OS sites.

this mihgt be more worth my while as i will get doses as well as some matter for spawning...

any experience report regarding this herb? did it make your life better in any serious ways? how long idd u maintain a dosage schedule for?

Macadamia wood might be ok, Reishi is quite good at adapting to new substrates.

Probably best if you as obtuse if he will make you a culture when he does some more plates. If that doesn’t work for whatever let me know.

Red Reishi spores - they might be viable but I would also look into the efficacy or spores, I remember reading somewhere (can’t remember source) that spore caps don’t have the same medical benefits of teas made from the flesh. Most if not all the cultures floating around Australia at the moment come from Rev that took it from a wild specimen in Australia – as far as I know.

I took it as a tea on and off, over a year or two for about 6 weeks at a time. & didn’t notice any major significant improvements in my life. :)

happy to do a culture for you the next time i do some plates.

Cheers, Obtuse.

definately...keep me in mind...in mind ...in mind...in mind.

Actually...i think i saw some growing in the wilderness not far from my house...i'll check it out and see if i can has a foto...

Reishi is one of the easiest mushrooms to grow, very aggressive and mould resistant. It is, however, a known plant pathogen, so be careful where you grow it. It sporulates very heavily and is incredibly aggressive.

34339.jpg

34342.jpg

34341.jpg

34338.jpg

I personally never felt any effects from drinking the tea, so stopped growing it.

There are a few native species of Ganoderma in Australia too. If you are confident of your agar skills and think you can revive dried mushroom tissue, I could give you some tissue of a wild G. applanatum (I think this is what is was) that I found.

interesting stuff

iv only recently discovered the amazing world of fungi, but am really keen to try out growing in different ways and with different types.

particularly

i would also be more than a little interested in getting some growing goodies such as a culture from one of you if you'd part with.

i guess some tips too if your willing to share some information, iv only ever done a couple of PF TEK processes.

all i really have that you might be interested in would be a couple of dollars i guess.

if your willing how much would you part with some for?

-astro

I used to grow it for personal use and used to drink the tea.

I can also get it fairly easily from my local asian supermarket $7 a bag.

I still have the culture in storage if your into fungi growing

I would also like a culture if possible please WT

start a reishi culture and then eat reishi's for your soul.