The Corroboree

Edited by lsdreamz

Hey LSD,

A friend of mine had one of those, she had problems with the wind and storms etc. It was damaged badly after a moderate to heavy storm, a few weeks later a bigger storm hit and the hole thing toppled over causing her plants to go flying and messed everything up. After that she weighted it down but the metal rods were now bent and the hole thing was stuffed. I think if you weighed it down and had it in a protected place it would be ok.

Your idea/s sound very interesting and I wish you all the best.

Edited by Hellonasty

Hey lsdreamz,

I know someone with one of those PE greenhouses and it didn't last too long, the plastic tends to decompose in the sun and the poles bent in the wind because the design is not very rigid. However, for $150 bucks it's a bargain, despite the longevity issues I would still buy one, as in that size to build one say from timber and polycarbonate sheet or buy a quality kit you'd be looking at $600 minimum probably.

Get 4 long star pickets and drive them deep into the ground at each corner, then tie the vertical corner poles to the picket. this should make the poles last longer as they can't lean in the wind and break the joiners.

As for the floor, if you don't want to concrete or pave, I would put down gravel as a cheap solution. The reason being that if you were to leave it as a dirt floor, it will be a mud floor once you water, and probably won't dry out very quickly inside. Gravel is cheap, one scoop should be enough, which you can pick up for under $40.

Edited by lsdreamz

If you lay down thick plastic or weed mattting with woodchip mulch on top before you setup the greenhouse you will have less issues with weeds underneath you benches. Weeds will flourish if do nothing to prevent their growth as they take advantage of all the 'secondhand' love (water) and attention (fertilizers) that you afford your plants. Woodchip mulch probably isn't necessary but it is nicer to walk on, and less muddy.

An irrigation system hooked up to a hose timer would be incredibly easy to setup and pretty cheap too. Irrigation systems are not as good as you watering them as some spots will get more (or less) water than others so make sure you pop your head in whenever you can.

If you want to add fertigation tech it will get more expensive. How long are you planning on going away from your plants? If it is only a few weeks you should think about slow release pellets as that will tide them over. If it is a few months at a time you may need to look at fertigation, or just apply more slow release fert pellets before you go away.

I got one of these greenhouses for chrissy too, well i am getting one, hasn't turned up yet. Doesn't look heaps stable but i reckon if i bulk up the support structure it should be alright.

Edited by lsdreamz

I reckon some blue-metal for the floor straight over thick layered cardboard (fridge boxes from Hardly Normals)

Cardboard will keep light from the ground without killing it (just weeds and grass) until it breaks down,then you have floor drainage even with a big spill.

Easy to level too.

Worked in a nicely lit garden shed at a mates place quite some time ago B)

Edited by lsdreamz

Know anyone who works on the council fixing pot-holes that might drop by for a beer? :wink:

The good thing about gravel is,you'll hear anyone at night if they go inside and any weeds are easily pulled up after the cardboard treatment plus obviously drainage and good humidity control.

Oh yeah soak it well after laying and leveling the floor.

Also star pickets (posts) in buckets or pots in quick-set cement set in holes in the ground(in case it's a rental) for the corners...then use tie-wire to secure up-rights.

Done!

The good thing about gravel is,you'll hear anyone at night if they go inside and any weeds are easily pulled up after the cardboard treatment plus obviously drainage and good humidity control.

Spot on. I would use gravel over mulch. Mulch also attracts those big fucking mulch spiders.

Bunnings sell the start pickets. Price is probably 5-20 buck depending on length. Should be able to pick up some 1.5 m ones for about 10 bucks each. They last forever. Wash your hands after handling, apparently the tar paint (creosote?) they coat them with is carcinogenic.

EDIT: and be sure to put a safety cap on the top of the star picket. They only cost a few cents and should be right next to the pickets in the shop. Falling onto a star picket would not be fun.

Edited by Alice

Edited by lsdreamz

hi Isdreamz, will you be leaving yours up through winter ? does it leak ? ive been thinking of getting one also until i can upgrade...gets really windy here in winter tho

Edited by blowng

Edited by lsdreamz

Some black plastic on the ground or under the pots should help get extra heat in there during winter

im more worried about getting tables setup so if the dog gets in again i wont have to worry about anything getting trodden on.
I had the same problem in my homemade cold frame / shade house with ferrets running around and accidentally escaping to knock over seedlings , also get a few snails and mice here too, so i used bakers bread crates suspended with wire to star pickets to keep them off the ground , milkcrates are good too ...heres a pic lol, post-4908-126648466187_thumb.jpg ill use whatever i can find ...but definitely want something more professional soon aswell

GABBA.JPG

GABBA.JPG

I love the bread crate shelves, that's awesome!