The Corroboree
tripsis

Recommended VPNs

With censorship looming, use of VPNs looks like it'll be the way to go.

Can anyone recommend a list of good VPNs which they have used?

Also, what do people think of proxies?

Proxies are PITA. I'm using surfbouncer in china and can access everything. You can use it on multiple computers as long as they are not logged into surfbouncer at the same time and each computer has the accompanying tunnelbrick software installed. VPN also encrypts your mail etc. I checked out a bunch of VPN services...they all seemed to offer the same thing and price.

A lot of the nerds on whirlpool.net.au are recommending http://www.strongvpn.com/

Seems like good rates on a yearly basis. but I can't see anything about bandwidth use. Example my isp quota is 120gig a month. I have no idea if I can actually route that through a VPN per month or not. Maybe someone else knows.

VPN also encrypts your mail etc

No not really, at best only encrypted only between your host and the VPN gateway. From the gateway (from which is a minimum of 3 hops to the recipients inbox, often many many more) it is all plaintext.

You should use PGP (GnuPG being the free open source implementation) to encrypt all standalone transmissions (documents, emails, addressbooks, etc) regardless of the protocol (VPN, ssh tun, ssl http proxy, whatever) used to transmit!

It is really important for people to learn the technicals of these protocols to ensure they don't give a false sense of security. You need to understand precisely what security they can and cannot provide.

If you want real anonymity you can't go past Brazilian or Estonian providers (imho). But realistically I would be looking for providers in Hong Kong or Taiwan. New Zealand was a prime candidate for my thoughts, but someone raised the point recently they will probably be in the filtering boat before long.

Edited by apothecary

Xerobank located in Panama (legally anyhow),works well,pretty fast considering it jumps two countries, you can choose which two country's it hops through so you can view content on websites in the U.S. like Pandora, Hulu etc and is run by a member of hacktivismo. Guy that invented it and runs the company Steve posts on many computer security boards,goes to DEFCON and answers peoples questions which is good.

That being said there are many free proxies out there also or cheaper different VPN's that might be comparable? but I don't have experience with em.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Hendry