The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Acacia phlebophylla progress! ( now image heavy )

I'm sitting down cos I get excited about these things and I have been known to get unduly overwraught to naught before on the issue. But...

good news is we have Acacia phlebophylla subcultures running successfully over three generations with no decrease in leaf size or quality, and 70% of each of those generations setting roots or exhibiting pre-rooting callus of the type I have seen regenerate roots in this species!

Photos later tonight!

The bad news is that we still haven't worked out a way to maintain the juvenile tissue long enough to ensure several generations of transfers- ie leaves are maturing down the line, and not staying at the 'frondy' stage. And we still have to work out a way to increase axillary node proliferation without mucking up the gains we have made so far

The worst news is that it looks like the problems in TC do not mirror the problems in cultivation: it was a precursor/endogenous hormone issue after all, which I can't link back to a soil problem. maybe someone here can sort that out for me somehow and we still have experiments to run to determine precisely what the new change involves and whether it can be translated into horticultural terms.

But at least if it keeps up like this we will have heaps of propagative material to spare to make mistakes with while this is sorted out

The other nice thing about this new media is that it revives older cultures which were doing very badly in other medias. So about 30 plants we thought we'd have to throw out are on their way back!

[ 18. August 2004, 13:32: Message edited by: Darklight ]

that's good to hear Darklight!...thanks for posting this info.

Julian.

Congrats Darklight,

All that effort is starting to show some positive results,hope it continues to do so. :D

Here's pics:

This is the first subculture where I cut one of the best seedlings in two:

Ap1thumb.JPG

Ap1Athum.JPG

And the subsequent subculture to that where two plants became five:

Ap1next.JPG

Ap1nex2.JPG

Ap1nex3.JPG

Ap1nex4.JPG

Ap1nex5.JPG

The tek is still a touch unconventional, media aside, these are nodal cuttings encouraged to retain and form roots rather than axillary proliferation, which is strictly what I'm after. And this is the best example, the others lag behind somewhat. Still, getting one plant to turn into five is the best progress we have so far.

One thing that confuses me: I don't understand why some of the seedlings, prior to first subculture, exhibit black tips on the roots. It's not like they're in the charcoal/black media at this stage, and the tips don't show phenolic activity ( leaching of coloured compounds into clear media.

Apseedbr.JPG

And I'm still working on identifying the bacteria that pops up on odd occasions in this species only. It's never been seen in the lab here before.

[ 18. August 2004, 13:30: Message edited by: Darklight ]

so excited to hear the world class research is bearing fruits however modest you say they are..well done you lot! You're great you are

Fingers crossed for future

f*ck me!!!!

now thats progress!!

For those who hadnt seen the results to date it might seem modest

but if you d seem a lot of whats hapenned till now! wow!

well done boss well done

Guest electro

ITS ALIVE !

nice work ...

it even Looks like a happy lil tucker too ! i am impressed :)

reville:

For those who hadnt seen the results to date it might seem modest

Thanks bwana, you've seen it through a bit. We need more progress but after six years this is enough hope to keep me going, er, maybe another two or three..

... then we have to work out the cultivation probs LOL