The Corroboree
Atlas

Papaver Somniferum - Alk Profile

From experience what are the strongest var- of Papaver Somniferum's that you have come across, in regards to alkaloid profiles? species.

Also what is your propagation method of choice?

I find they have incredibly poor germination rates, especially for a somewhat weed. Alot of the time a total of 0

Currently propagating, Afagni, izmir and persian white.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Izmir mix is a combination of Turkish Commercial, Taz, Persian white, & some others that had a chance to cross over the course of a couple of years in a cottage garden somewhere. So a question of potency on those is too variable to really say. Some really good ones in the mix, though.

Afghan is great, Persian White is quite good as well.

Tasmania has bred some very high morphine:

Poppies are now being bred with higher levels of morphine, codeine and thebaine in them...The seed of the morphine plant can also be used in cooking and the Tasmanian variety can be recognised by its distinctive blue-grey colour.

Seed from thebaine-enhanced poppies is not sold for culinary purposes.

http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/poppy/the_industry/uses_for_the_poppy_crop

The freshness ov the seed makes a big difference on germination rates.

HI Atlas,

you may be having poor germination because its the wrong time of the year to start poppies. Usually they are started between april-july. Poppies are a long day flowering plant, the exact opposite to cannabis. So poppies need short days to grow and long days to flower.

Soak seeds in a bottle of water or similar for hour or so, prep garden bed, spray seeds over bed, rake over, wait. Sow early to late autumn.

Keep well watered, not soaked but moist, feed well, thin out seedlings to 20-30cms apart, feed, water, stare, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

TAZ

give ya a hint, spice section at your local supermarket. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for this info everyone.

I was going to put the poppies under lights, but I keep getting 0 Prop rate, Ive tried a heap of humidity, no humidity, heat mats, open air seed mix, glass house seed mix, Im sure the seeds must be poor, but they shouldnt be, ive tried 7 packets all from SAB, I dont know whats going wrong.

The ones I buy in the spice section i just threw on garden beds and on open patches of the lawn and didnt water or anything and they sprouted haha

• Like 1

The ones I buy in the spice section
= TAZ

= TAZ

Does that mean the ones from the spice section are tasmanias high alk yeilds or do they grow weaker varieties for food consumption?

• Like 1

Does that mean the ones from the spice section are tasmanias high alk yeilds

yes, mostly

the low germination rates you get are because of conditions which kill the seedlings.

if you plant poppy in a moist enviroment, they seeds very well might, just rot away.

sometimes they germ, just to fall over which is called damping off.

the ones you just sprinkled on the ground, recived conditions which, suited the germination process much better.

i would suggest you use sterile soil, either buy seed raising potting mix, or sterilize the soil by heat, or even just by solarization (spell?).

don't overwater,and leave the seedlings tray in a sheltered position.

in short it's humid glasshouse type conditions which are not suited to germ those poppies.

have had good germination rates from using peat pellets, sprinkling them on the surface and lightly pressing down, just leaving them on a shady window sill or indoors, has even worked putting them in the fridge for 3 days....as soon as the pellets came out of the fridge away the seeds sprung.

I'm not in Aus, so I can't speak very well to conditions there for this species. However, cold & wet is how they like to germinate in general. Hot & wet no good.

Plant in autumn, right before some rain when it will be cool. direct sow into the ground, and thin when spring arrives before they bolt & while they are still in veg.