The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

naja naja

Dodgy chemist selling drug manufacturing chems.

Well, was quite pissed off today to find what appears to me to be one dodgy fucking chemist not just ripping people off, but also directly supplying chems related to drug manufacture. Firstly, I have never seen potassium permanganate for sale ever in a chemist, this one had it as sum sorta deodorizer, right next to acetone and IPA in 100ml bottles that the chemist has obviously bottled up themselves and then put their chemist printed label on them, just like they do with ur prescription meds. That aswell as they sell pseudo, thats everything u need in one store to make fucking m-cat. All but the pseudo on one shelf next to each other! The IPA to kill the reaction and the acetone to wash up ur product.

Am I missing sumthing? Never have I seen this in a chemist. Almost felt like walking up and having a go at him, woulda gone down great wearing my EGA 09 shirt :P

P.S. the IPA and Acetone was 100ml for $8.95. Not too bad for the IPA, espec if it's nice lab grade true 100%, not like our other favourite brand of IPA that says 100% and is actually only 60%. And acetone for that wuch is fucking joke. I scoff at $9 for 1L let alone 100ml's for that price!

I always thought you could get potassium permanganate at the chemists because its also used to delouse crabs I believe.

Good thing you didn't make a fool of yourself :P

Until the drug hysteria [esp around meth] started 15 or 20 years ago most chemists would have stocked all of these and a lot more. In fact a chemist that didn't stock 'condy's crystals' would have been rather crap. It has many many uses besides making cat, ranging from antifungal footbaths to homebrew clean ups. It was once a disinfectant as common as [and safer than] chlorine solutions.

We still use it around the farm for foot rot on our hooved animals and for cauterising cut wounds on alpacas.

IPA is simply the technical name for rubbing alcohol. Acetone is used as nail polish remover.

A coupe of decades ago people actually bought products by their names rather than by their brands or purposes. Who these days asks for ethyl acetate or acetone when looking for nail polish remover? Who asks for iodine paint or lugol's solution when looking for an iodine ointment rather than simply grabbing the betadine [which is povidone iodine and not really all that 'betta']? Who even knows what their nailpolish remover or betadine ACTUALLY contains?

I think it is a great pity that these versatile and effective products are not available in most chemists anymore and we have to make do with [even more] overpriced and less versatile brand name products. It is very telling when open minded people like those who wear EGA shirts themselves fall into that trap ;)

A coupe of decades ago people actually bought products by their names rather than by their brands or purposes. Who these days asks for ethyl acetate or acetone when looking for nail polish remover? Who asks for iodine paint or lugol's solution when looking for an iodine ointment rather than simply grabbing the betadine [which is povidone iodine and not really all that 'betta']? Who even knows what their nailpolish remover or betadine ACTUALLY contains?

I think it is a great pity that these versatile and effective products are not available in most chemists anymore and we have to make do with [even more] overpriced and less versatile brand name products.

Its also a bad thing in that people now fear or are suspicious of anything chemical and the science and chemistry behind these products sort of becomes lost and taboo in a way.

It is very telling when open minded people like those who wear EGA shirts themselves fall into that trap ;)

Stoners aren't the only ones that are good at utilising what they find around the place ;)

Good thing you didn't make a fool of yourself :P

Until the drug hysteria [esp around meth] started 15 or 20 years ago most chemists would have stocked all of these and a lot more. In fact a chemist that didn't stock 'condy's crystals' would have been rather crap. It has many many uses besides making cat, ranging from antifungal footbaths to homebrew clean ups. It was once a disinfectant as common as [and safer than] chlorine solutions.

We still use it around the farm for foot rot on our hooved animals and for cauterising cut wounds on alpacas.

IPA is simply the technical name for rubbing alcohol. Acetone is used as nail polish remover.

I think it is a great pity that these versatile and effective products are not available in most chemists anymore and we have to make do with [even more] overpriced and less versatile brand name products. It is very telling when open minded people like those who wear EGA shirts themselves fall into that trap ;)

Wasn't pissed off that he had them for sale, but they weren't even in there relative area's where u would normally find them in a chemist. The IPA wasn't next to the rubbing alcohol ( It was labelled Isopropyl alcohol, was just abbreviating it.) And the acetone wasn't near the other nail polish removers or the nail polish or any nail related products. Maybe K- Perm is a nermal product in the chemist, I just never look in the de-odorizing section. My point was that they were all on one shelf next to each other, like inches from each other. In the town it's in and the meth problem they have. Middle super market forum shopping centre doesn't need to make it that easy for people.

so what your saying naja naja is that this particular chemist is now selling to the boutique crystal makers, a do it yourself shelf full of shake and bake goodness.

who said that the acetone is supposed to be on the nailpolish shelf? you are making assumptions.

chemists used to have a large shelf of self serve chemical in the shop and a small one of service chems behind the counter. More and more chems moved behind the counter and eventually when no one asks for them anymore they get deleted. Only took about 5-10 years. What you saw at your chemist was normal 20 years ago!!

Some old style chemists will still have this chem shelf and it will have iodine tincture, lugol's, colurless iodine, condy's, urea, IPA, soda, alumn, flowers of sulfur, epsom salts, methanol, denatured ethanol, clove oil, menthol, camphor, and a shitload more on it. 20 years ago they even had pure iodine crystals.

Interesting. Still, chemicals have more than one use, especially alcohol-based ones and solvents. Perhaps it is aimed at home chemists, but perhaps not. I don't really see how it's any worse than hardware stores having IPA, acetone and other such useful chemicals readily available. Whether or not they are next to each other, if someone really wanted them all they need to do is ask.

not like our other favourite brand of IPA that says 100% and is actually only 60%

How did you come to that conclusion?

Interesting. Still, chemicals have more than one use, especially alcohol-based ones and solvents. Perhaps it is aimed at home chemists, but perhaps not. I don't really see how it's any worse than hardware stores having IPA, acetone and other such useful chemicals readily available. Whether or not they are next to each other, if someone really wanted them all they need to do is ask.

How did you come to that conclusion?

then you haven't walked in bunnings lately... the acetone is sitting right next to the xylene... walk up the end of the isle and theres the sodium hydroxide...

Naja, Im guessing that this chemists owner is either over 60 and/or does 'compounding'? (or owns another chemist that does?)

Compounding chemists will often buy their solvents and other chemicals from pharma/chemical wholesalers (David Craig Biotech comes to mind which was actualy started by a pharmacist) and because they need to use at least Tech grade for compounding and the clean up its cheaper and/or more conveniant for them to just buy another couple of bottles of tech grade IPA or Acetone and put it on the shelf.

Plus oldskool ideas die hard :)

Did you notice if the IPA/Acetone was Tech grade? this grade will often command retail prices around $10-15 for 100ml bottles.

Most older pharmacies will have a surgical area, my Chemists surgical isle has these 3 available as well as all of what T mentioned except the I2 crystals (:of course:)

yeah, this chemist had all those T mentioned except the obvious :P

Guess this chemist should be commended then for selling these items still. Guess it just shocked me a little to see them all side by side. One stop M-cat shop sprung to mind. I was tempted to buy the IPA to test the H2O content. The MSDS for the one most people buy says it's only 60%, although the bottle says 100%. Guess it's 100% IPA as far as other additives goes, but I still rekon it's a bit misleading. The $7 for 125ml of IPA u normally only get 75ml of actual IPA, u pay for 50ml of water. If it was actual 100%IPA it would actually work out better buy. As u actually get 100ml's of IPA for $9

I'm no one to judge people by what substances/drugs they take whatever they take is fine by me

they're the one who have to process it on all levels just like me and what ever I chose to take or not take just like food I could fatten myself up like a pig or starve myself to death it's not foods fault it's my relationship to it that is the problem same with drugs I don't care what your on until your behaviour affects me then I gotta push back. there my thought's anyway. = )

What a silly thread.

It's no more unusual for a store to have the chems more or less in one place than a store that sells vitamins to have them on one shelf. Stores generally do make some effort to have some organization of their products so that things can be readily found by both staff and customers.