The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
santiago

This is freaking me out

Optional opinion please.  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OMG this is just like the oracle in matrix, i recognise you but somehow you have changed. Im sure we can work together, your re-simulated personality has to keep up with upgraded gatecrashers.

Engineer can we strike a deal between man and computer to return program corroborree to it's original colour?

OMG PLEASE switch the forum back to how it used to look!

PLEEEEASE!

I think it's kinda cool. A much clearer layout, less cluttered.

If only my desk and house was this neat. Then my brain might follow suite. ;)

Layout will not be changed. I like the new modern layout.

While I also like the colours, there are several reasons why they will be changed

1) it's the default, so every new forum will look like this

2) blue is the most common forum colour

3) the Corroboree is associated with earthy ochre tones

While we might not get exactly the same colours back [i'll decide as I go along], it will definitely revert back to the earthy ochres.

Wait so the Corroboree will look different than it used to?

Yes or no?

i think photos look better with the new white background

Layout will not be changed. I like the new modern layout.

While I also like the colours, there are several reasons why they will be changed

1) it's the default, so every new forum will look like this

2) blue is the most common forum colour

3) the Corroboree is associated with earthy ochre tones

While we might not get exactly the same colours back [i'll decide as I go along], it will definitely revert back to the earthy ochres.

It'd be great if instead of hardcoding the colour changes into the forum style code there could be a theme so users can select. Big orange screen being slightly less than discrete when not browsing within the confines of ones own 'puter.

Edited by apothecary

Looks good so far!

LOVE the much higher resolutions on the pictures, I guess it's time to upgrade to a 32" flat screen monitor! :wink:

Thumbs up from me. :)

I'll probably have the default theme in ochres, but will allow theme selection so that anyone wishing to not be caught out by the bright orange can use the plain theme [probably this blue standard one].

I'll probably also keep the text compose sections white as it provides better contrast with high resolution images and small text. This factory theme has like 8 shades of blue which is way more shades than I intend to use.

One of the best things I have noticed about this version are the threaded PM conversations. F*cking sooooooo overdue! That alone was worth the upgrade.

In profile settings I can't change "my photo" it says "Upload failed please contact administrator". Avatar change works fine though.

I like the new layout, wasn't to sure at first but now it's been a day it feels fine.

But while I love seeing the gallery pictures up the top of the main page, it's also not very discrete for non-home computers...

alice, try to cope with it for now and once I fixed everything else I might try and put the pics at the bottom of the page.

roughly so far 50% people from poll results say that change freaks them out, i voted yes to that. so it wouldnt matter if it was the best forum upgrade in the world (which possibly it could be) at least half the population wont like it purely based on them being scared of change and that alone.

now that there has been time to adjust i certainly dont feel as much for the colours as i did 2 days ago, whilst i might actually revert to the whole ochre colour scheme again if it becomes available, it doesnt worry me at all anymore.

it's like losing a favorite pet (or girlfriend)...you mourn the loss, go through the adjustment, recover and when you get that brand new puppy some date in the future (or boyfriend girlfiend whatever) you forget all about your worries, put it behind you and start again.

its interesting to note that on the pre upgrade forum there was high 6000 members, now there is low 3000. i say good on you engineer for taking a risk, trying to improve the overall aspect and keeping it real

respect

re the member count, I don't think either of those numbers were quite right. the 6000 probably included many spammers that got turfed int he last 6 months, so it is probably lower than that. However, I think it is probably higher than 3000. There is a process of rebuilding statistics and counts which needs to be performed after major upgrades. I have not done this yet as it is time consuming and not really that important. The numbers will likely change again once this maintenance is done.

Mind you, at any one time there are probably only about 2000 ACTIVE registered members anyway, regardless of what the statitics say.

re re back the member count the old corrob 'did' say member no# 6700 odd the last i noticed ie the newest members no#

your absolutely right that it's not important what member number you are and may contribute to a heirachy style mentality. so what happened to the member no#? for example i think i was 5900 something, specifically remember you (torsten) was 6, H eyebrow was 30 odd and alice was 60ish.

so if the old 6000 plus member numbers are now insignifigant due to spamming do i move up the list to be in the new 2000 ACTIVE that is stated. will i now for example be 1999.

forgive me for my OCD but i bet you i wouldnt be the only one who will think about this, am i missing the button pressing to find this new or old no# somewhere in the new forum or has this been banished due to insignifigance or just the new program laws?

ahh, you are gettign member number and member count confused. each week we get quite a few spammers signing up. The long delay in giving them posting privis usually means they never actually get to post and then 6-12 months later they get deleted in one of our many clean ups. The vacated member numbers do NOT get reused. So, if we are around member #6000 at the moment, I would expect a substantial percentage of these numbers to actually not have a profile attached to them anymore.

new members signing up now will still be in their 6000's but the total number of registered members is still the same as it was before the upgrade - which I think is about 3000.

I hope you can relax about this conundrum now ;) [btw, the old forum used to have the same feature at the bottom where it stated the number of registered members and this number should have been around the 3000].

Totally ok with whatever pans out, true i am now confused with member count and member no#.

I suppose i just just somehow linked 5986 (if thats it) to my identity here somehow. So if using you for an example the 'old' no#6 is there a way to find this no# on this new upgraded forum style?

Clicked on your profile to research this but seemed to be nowhere to find, the no#6 i mean. As im writing this im even questioning why the bother over such a insignifigant little thing.

Bye bye little no B)

Now I get it. You are worried about this because it doesn't actually state the member number in the profile anymore. well, if you need to know member number then just go to the member tab, find the member you want and have a look at the URL. The last number is the member number. So obviously the system is still maintaining these numbers [essentially they are row numbers in the database, so they will never be lost unless someone decides to 'compact' the database and take out unused numbers, then renumbering the whole lot - but let's freak out about that when the times comes :P].

see, I am still #6

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6

thank you, if you really want to freak me out....was that top left hand side (the corroborree coblestones) gif there yesterday or when i first posted?

It's a Simpson desert [pituringa] gibberplain. I put it up on monday night I think.

I've decided to move away from the bright orange colours towards reddish browns. It's easier on the eyes, still very much the australian natural colours, and distinctive enough. Maybe I've been workign with tree barks and roots too much lately, but these colours actually appeal more in terms of ethnobotany ;)

The current colour scheme is pretty close to how it will stay, with maybe some minor variations down the track as I get more time for fine tuning.

There are still the odd green and blue patches [especially when you get away from the homepage], but these will be eliminated as time goes on.

The various icons will also be updated into the new colour scheme, but this is far from urgent.

Its nothing major but while we are at it, I personally would like to see a darker colour used to break up the posts in a thread rather than the light pink used at the moment.

My eyes find it tiring to break up the thread into posts as I scroll down.

that would cause a whole lot of other problems as I would need to invert the colours of the text on those bars. ie you can't have dark text on dark bars.

the way I have done this set up is to take all the original blue colour tones and created equivalent red tones for each of them [about 50 so far!!]. That way I won't run into problems like last time where I changed the text of some links to the same colour as the background and then never managed to work out which setting it was.