The Corroboree
Atlas

Mephedrone Legal Status Australia

Does anyone know the final answer for the legal status of meow?

Both wikipedia and wiki both do not state illegal in Australia.

And I have read on another page in the corroboree that the nsw police know about it but are down playing it.

So is it actually a criminal offence to have and or use it?

I believe I found my answer 4-Methylmethcathinone is not specifically scheduled in the United States, though it would be considered an illegal analogue of methcathinone if intended for human consumption. 4-methylmethcathinone is controlled in a number of countries, including Australia, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, and Sweden.

Although it doesnt state as a criminal offence.

According to one contributor, a large bust in Cairns seized 2000 doses of 4-methylmethcathinone and was subsequently added to the Australian federal drug watch list and is now considered illegal if intended for human consumption. See Killer pills hit Cairns, Jun 2008. (unconfirmed) (thanks ys) (last updated Oct 18, 2009)

Perhaps SWIM wants it for looking at and not human consumption

Edited by Atlas

Not sure about this one really....there is a huge market for it in other countries, very moorish, can be dangerous...isn't everything though.

well according to the 3 media hyped reports of teens overdosing and mixing with other drugs ie; Ketamine and meow... :blink:

I'd say this is probably one that's ..well readily available now...not sure how or who to purchase from...but get a truck load cause it won't be easy to source for very long.

Not explicitly listed, but covered by the Federal Analogue Act. This makes its importation illegal. Possession is a different story though, varies from state to state.

zlooj is correct, except that it is also covered by the state analogs laws and hence possession is also illegal.

Atlas, in australia it is of no consequence what the intention for the substance was. mephedrone as a fridge deodoriser has the same legal position as mephedrone for getting wasted. Intention is a factor in some other countries, especially in the USA.

Ooops. Thanks Torsten for correcting me. Oz substances laws are definitely hard to follow.

From MSN Exclusive today:

AFP seize 20kg of party drug mephedrone

Federal police have seized over 20kg of a new party drug in the past 15 months — but Australians are still openly trying to buy the potentially deadly drug online.

Ninemsn can reveal that the AFP and Australian Customs authorities have intercepted 25 shipments of the banned drug mephedrone into the country since September last year.

But the AFP refuse to confirm if they have arrested or charged anyone over the shipments.

Mephedrone — also known as 4-MMC, Plant Food or Bubbles — is said to give users a sense of euphoria somewhere between cocaine and ecstasy.

The drug is prohibited in Australia but can be legally purchased as plant food in countries like the UK.

It comes in pill or powder form and is typically packaged inside a small plastic bag with a sticker that reads: "Not for human consumption ... for technical use only".

An AFP spokesperson said authorities were aware of a Hong Kong-based buy-and-sell website where Australians have left ads looking for mephedrone dealers.

Ninemsn found some 17 advertisements on the website, including one notice from a Victorian user looking for a weekly supply of the drug.

"Need bulk amounts of mephedrone to be shipped to Victoria, Australia ... require a sample pack (say 5g) first to ensure quality," the advertisement says.

"Looking for someone who can supply weekly ... would prefer product to already be in the country at time of shipping."

Another person from Sydney says they want 1kg of the drug, while a Tasmanian user says they are looking for a "reliable mephedrone supplier ... wanted urgently"

An ad published by someone in Adelaide says they are "looking to buy 10g of mephedrone".

In June last year, Queensland police seized a batch of pills being sold as ecstasy which contained a mix of mephedrone and a similar drug called ethylcathinone.

A Bing search of "mephedrone" reveals scores of websites selling the drug, many of which are based in the UK.

Some sites describe mephedrone as a plant fertiliser or even a plant growth suppressant.

Ninemsn found one website selling 25g of the drug for $358, or 1kg for $8460 — the same price as roughly 211 ecstasy tablets or 28 bags of cocaine.

But the website says shipments outside the UK have stopped because of police seizures.

Mephedrone has already been attributed to one death in the UK: 14-year-old Gabrielle Price had a heart attack on November 22 at a house party after reportedly taking the drug as well as ketamine.

By Matt Bachl, ninemsn

Skiping over the whether or not its legal ,if customs come across Mephedrone it will most certainly be seized and destroyed. Unless of course you have a permit to inport from TGA.But if you have a permit then you already know that and probably run a government research program or something. I actually called customs for their advise and although whoever i spoke with didnt know exactly they pointed me to the answer.Two calls later (first to TGA who suspected it was prohibited) the department of Chemical safety left me with no doubt that the cathinone bit at the end of its names means its a no go. End of story, money down the drian. Seized and destoryed 30 days after they find it, and while an honest mistake will just mean you loose you package,if its a repeat offence or there is reason to beleive you were intending resale then you will probably be spaeking with the AFP about why your buying "plant food" but dont have a garden. ;-)

i notice ~3000 view for this thread? could be worth shunting over to the chem forum so it stops flagging in google searchs?

oh btw, tert. alcohol of desoxy-PMA. Definately illegal. smelly as fuck like most ketones. I assume they have dogs trained for it by now too. who cares? toxic shit :)

i notice ~3000 view for this thread? could be worth shunting over to the chem forum so it stops flagging in google searchs?

It comes up as the sixth result after searching for "mephedrone".